World Line Dance Newsletter Wednesday 2/11

TKA...@aol.com

Feb 11, 2015, 9:05:17 AM2/11/15
to world-line-da...@googlegroups.com

Wednesday 2/11  PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE IN THE WEEKLY SURVEY BY LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON (OR EARLIER IS BETTER!!)

DANCE REVIEW WORKSHOP AT THE ROUND UP
TAMPA

Instructor : Margaret

Lince dance review workshop February 28, 2015

10:00-2:00
Review popular dances being danced at the Round Up
Upper beginner to low intermediate dances.
Workshop conducted by Margaret Morrison-Howard
Cost $25.00

Margaret M. Howard

***********************
SUBJECT:  DANCE SUPPLIES
FROM:
WWW.ALLABOUTDANCE.COM

Adorable Free Dance Bag with your Order through

Valentine's Day
***********************
SUBJECT:     Scott Blevins 2nd Annual Line Dance
Workshop and Dance Socials
WHERE:        Deerfield Beach, FL
DATE:           Friday & Saturday 2/27 – 2/28/15
FROM:          Betsy Courant (egc...@aol.com)

Registrations are coming in and I'm excited to see we
have a lot of newcomers joining us this year!  Space
is limited so get your registrations in.  Information is
below.

All open dancing during the workshop and the Friday
& Saturday night socials will be dances requested by
you, the attendees.  So get started on your request
lists.  I’d like to have the lists by mid-February so I can
put my playlists together.

WHEN:             Friday 2/27/15 DANCE SOCIAL from 7 –
10 p.m.

Saturday 2/28/15 DANCE WORKSHOP from 10 a.m. - 4
p.m. (lunch included) AND

                        Saturday DANCE SOCIAL from 7 - 10 p.m.
(registered dancers only)

WHERE:           Shall We Dance Studios (2nd floor), 600
S. Federal Highway, Deerfield Beach, FL

COST:              $10.00 for Friday night dance social
(pay at door)
     $55.00 for Saturday workshop and Saturday night
dance social

Saturday workshop includes: lunch, stepsheet book,
bottled water & snacks.  Since this is a private studio
you are free to bring your own drinks and snacks as
well.

Please feel free to contact me at egc...@aol.com for
a registration form, to be added to my email list or
with any questions you may have.   Hope you can join
us!!

Betsy
*************************
Subject: Dance 2 The Music Ocala Line Dance Social
From:
ridest...@gmail.com

Hope to see you at our next social - Friday, February

13th, 2015 -
We have two important changes - PRICE and TIME -

See below for more details of the social!

DANCE 2 THE MUSIC OCALA DANCE SOCIAL
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 13th, 2015

Contact:

Joy Price 352-207-6933 or Sandi Larkins 352-474-

THEME - Valentines - HEARTS
IMPORTANT - Price and Time Change
$6.00 per person
TIME - 630pm to 930pm

50/50
Door Prizes

No smoking inside building
No alcohol served

We will have soda and water available for $1.00 and

we provide some snacks - or you can bring your own.

Southeastern Livestock Pavilion Compound
Auditorium Building
2232 NE Jacksonville Road
Ocala, Fl 34470
*************************
SUBJECT: 19th CBA Thank you & 20th CBA Sold Out
FROM: Steve H, Linedancer Magazine,

Dear Dancers,

the dust has settled here at Linedancer HQ following
the 19th Crystal Boot Awards and what a weekend it
was. Thank you so much to everyone who came and
made it such a special event and to all the
performers, instructors and DJ's that entertained you.
The event could not take place without the support of
the Line dance community and the Linedancer team
are very grateful to you all.

So now onto the 20th –  we where amazed at the rate
the next event sold out. I am so sorry that some
people have been disappointed and not been able to
book, especially those who where in attendance this
year. For a number of reasons we have a strict limit
on the number of dancers we can take at the event,
not least of which is the size of the dance floor. I have
seen some comments on social media giving the
impression that those at the event felt they did not
have the opportunity to book and would like to clarify
how the booking procedure has worked for the past
three years.

Guests attending the event are given a booking form
for the following year on arrival and we begin taking
bookings from Fri afternoon (approximately 5:30 pm).
We also open up booking on-line on Fri afternoon
however bookings taken at the event where given
priority on a daily basis. This year we suspended on-
line bookings on Sat at midday to check availability.
We where then able to re-open the booking desk at
the event on Sun morning but where very quickly at
capacity. Of all bookings taken only 13% where made
on line and some of these where for people in
attendance this year, also many booking taken at the
event where for larger groups than normal which is
why we reached capacity so quickly. We do have a
waiting list for attendance at
www.crystalbootawards.com  Should we receive
cancellations we will fill them from this waiting list.

We look forward to seeing you next year either in
person or via our webcast which this year was viewed
in 31 different countries. If you cannot be with us in
person why not host your own CBA party. The CBA’s
are an event like no other and the ‘Yellow Shirts’ put
their heart and soul into making it unforgettable. It is
intended to highlight and honour the talent we have in
our community, and also serves to remind us how
lucky we all are to Line dance – you take this
message away with you every year which makes all
our hard work worth while. Thank you.

Best Wishes & Happy Dancing
Steve H
www.linedancermagazine.com
www.crystalbootawards.com
**************************
SUBJECT:  VIDEO OF THE WEEK (COUPLES)
FROM:
vyoun...@gmail.com

Vivian

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

*********************

SUBJECT:  ATLANTA DANCE WEEKLY

10 February 2015   www.atlantadanceweekly.com

PLEASE send any future items to: atlantada...@gmail.com    THANKS

************************
SUBJECT:  MORE DISCUSSION ABOUT LEVEL OF DANCES

Subject: Baby Dances, Easy Dances?
From:
daisyra...@gmail.com

Dave let it be known he does not like the names Baby,
Easy or Little thingy describing some dances.  I did
not hear any suggestions about what these dances
should be called.  I have a pet name for my students,
'newbies', I call some of their dances  'Easier'.  I do
not see anything wrong with the word 'Beginner, we
were all there at one time.  This group of dancers are
not experienced, they are not seasoned.  So what are
they?  We could call them 'new starters' or 'new
dancers', it is all the same thing.  I don't think it is the
name as much as the tone in which it is said.

I have been teaching and choreographing for 30 years
and I don't think I have ever made one of my students
feel small or stupid or embarrassed, I make them
laugh WITH me before we laugh WITH them.  Because
isn't that what dancing is all about, fun?  Some times
we have more fun when we screw-up, like turning at
the wrong time and all of a sudden we are facing
someone with the deer in the headlight look, and we
can all laugh WITH each other.  It happens to all of us,
even if they don't want to admit it.

So, again, what do we call this group of dancers?

Daisy Masminster

daisyra...@gmail.com
****************************
Subject: Beginner dances
From:
katta...@verizon.net

Re: title to describe beginner/ " baby " dances..... How
about. "ABSOLUTE BEGINNER".   Because the
beginner level also is on a spectrum.   I think long
time dancers tend to forget what beginner is,  so I
think that would be a good descriptive term for a
dance that is truly ( first time dancer) beginner.

Vickie   Katta...@verizon.net
Sent from my iPad=
*************************
SUBJECT: NAMING DANCES
FROM: Lisa McCammon

I wasn't going to write because when I saw the thread
I thought--who would care? After today's newsletter, I
changed my mind.

Condescending and offensive? Really????? The terms
"baby" and "EZ" in a dance title are merely an easy
(dare I use the word) way for dancers to find
simplified versions of currently popular dances that
are above their level of expertise.

As an instructor, I find these designations helpful
when searching for dances to teach my students.

As a dancer, I find these designations completely
irrelevant--I care about the quality of the
choreography and the music.

As a choreographer, I often use one or the other of
these designations for the same reasons I look for
them when I'm searching for dances to teach.

And how can calling a dance "beginner" offend
beginner dancers?? We ALL had to start with BABY
steps, and work our way up. If some people choose to
stay within a comfort level when it's reached, that's
their prerogative, their right, and their choice. So why
in the world would they be offended to hear that a
dance is designated for that level?

What am I missing?
**********************************
FROM:  Jamie Marshall (thejamie...@att.net)
SUBJ:  "BABY"  or "EZ" in the title

I read with interest, opinions regarding what a choreographer should name "their" dance.  For someone who has been around a very long time, I personally don't see an issue with this.  With so many wonderful, intermediate/advanced line dances being choreographed because dancers are pushing choreographers for a challenge, it's nice to remember "BEGINNERS" who would enjoy the same music and to share the dance floor.  When I have to guest instruct at a special event or start a "BEGINNER" class, it's easier to find dances and it's kinda like a "you can do this" introduction to new dancers!  If selecting a "BABY" or "EZ" dance and someone using the word like "insult" is a bit harsh.  I think (my) dancers feel like "my instructor knows me and is helping build my confidence on the floor".  Beginner dancers know who they are.  I still remember (and see often) the thrill of them getting that first "BABY" dance.  I say, name the dance as you see it...after all...it's YOUR dance!

Jamie Marshall
www.ftwaynedanceforall.com
thejamie...@att.net
**************************
SUBJECT:  DANCE REVIEWS FOR JANUARY & FEB
FROM:  BIG DAVE

Flip On The Lights (Ria  Vos)
Josh Kelley (Masterpiece)
32/4 Improver
Music 9 Dance 10

A  catchy Two-Step beat & a cool/different/interesting
'A Little Bit Gypsy'
style dance – Cool diagonal back Nightclub basic
style steps,
Kick-Ball-Rocks  & I especially like the syncopated ¾
ending sequence – Just booked Ria
for  our July 2016 Newcastle Just Dance weekend –

Whoop – And she's with us
at  Carlisle 2016 too with Karl – Taking bookings for

that now :-)

DJ  Tonight (Kate Sala)
Rascal Flatts (DJ Tonight)
64/4 Intermediate
Music  9 Dance 9
A great upbeat country Cha – The dance flows well to
the track  with lots
of classic step sequences – And I particularly like the
side switches  with
the flick & hold & the kick/point/sailor ½ sequence
into the ending  – Cool
dance & great county – Looking forward to Kate &

Karl at the 2015  Newcastle
Just Dance weekend :-)

Uptown Funk (Rob Fowler)
Mark  Ronson (Uptown Funk)
64/4 Intermediate
Music 9 Dance 9

A cool  mainstream funky Cha dance – I'd gamble a
must-do Top 10 dance for
the modern  mainstream crowd, the next No.1 even –
A 'Timber' sort of dance –
Love the walk  around turm & the hook for me is rock
& hips & triple turn
sequence  & the twist turn ending - We'll have a great
time with Rob as
guest  choreographer at the March 2016 Southport
Maggie G Experience  :-)

Hard Work (Neville & Julie)
Ella Henderson (Hard  Work)
32/4 Intermediate
Music 9 Dance 9
A lovely Nightclub to an  awesome smooth track –
Some really cool &
different moves too – Particularly  the weavy turn
opening sequence & the
syncopated rocks section – We are  pleased to
announce that N&J will be at Newline
2016 with Rachael &  Guyton – Next Nightclub for us
will be Simon's Battle
Scars, a great teach from  the Awards :-)

Yes (Simon Ward & Jo Thompson Szymanski)
Merry Clayton  (Yes)
80/2 Intermediate
Music 10 Dance 10
An awesome Swing dance  destined for the Top 10 for
sure – Hairspray style
but easier so a mega  intermediate mainstream
prospect – A fast 178bpm but
no syncopation – And a cool  floor-split for Ribbon Of
Highway or any
Two-step (89bpm) – And 80 counts not a  problem
either with well written super cool
sections easy to remember – The  hitch into the
vauderville is great fun &
I particularly like the slow  back/sweep/rock
sequence, the knee pops into
the slide/rocks & the turny  ending – Awesome :-) We
are so pleased that
Simon will new to Eurodance 2016  with a host of
other great choreographers :-)

Vroom Vroom (Alison  & Peter)
Pitbull (Celebrate)
64/2 Improver/Easy-Intermediate
Music  9 Dance 9
Cool & light funky/pop Chs – Pitbull rules OK :-) - And a
neat easy dance
that will both test the Improvers & keep the
Intermediates  happy – Cool
walk-around turn into syncopated side rocks &
step/ball-step  sequence plus
lots of regular classic steps that flow great with the
track –  Funky does not
have to be hard to be good !! :-)

Too Blind To See  (Ria Vos)
Helena Johansson (In Your Eyes)
32/2 Intermediate
Music 10  Dance 10
Another great dance from the reigning Queen of
Nightclubs – No  Man's Land,
Hurt Me Carefully, Bittersweet Memory et al !! :-) This
one an  awesome
funky/smooth track – Taught this in Bristol too where
it was well  received –
Something a little different - Love the syncopated
rock/monteray, the
Press/Turn/Chase sequence & the ending, starting
with a really cool back
anchor-step.

Up (Alison & Peter)
Olly Murs (Up)
64/2  Intermediate
Music 9 Dance 9
Another cracking upbeat & catchy pop  Cha from A&P
to another great Olly
Murs track – And another strong Top 10  contender –
Classic mainstream pop
dance that flows well – I especially like the  opening
sequence with sailor
steps travelling forward - Must work on getting  P&A
back to one of our events
– We had a great time at Scarborough &  with Maggie
G I Southport a few
years back – Eurodance too of course – They are  not
doing 2016 but are first
on the list for a return in 2018 – Yes be positive  – We
WILL all still be
going strong then lol !! :-)

Bubbles Dahhhling  (Simon Ward & Niels Poulsen)
Ariana Grande (Break Free)
96/2 Higher  Intermediate
Music 10 Dance 10
Awesome 'Outta Control' style beaty  8&1 Cha with a
really cool/smooth
'Ring My Bells' style ending – It is a  straight 96 count
dance but it's like
dancing an AB phrased one, two dances in  one –
Love that :-) Classic 8&1 Cha
Cha stuff – Love the angles, the  sweep/turn & the
hitch/cross into the
ending sequence – And after 64 counts  of that it's
great to make smooth for 32
counts – A fun shimmy tag too :-) –  Awesome dance &
a class favourite –
Yet another Top 10 prospect – Simon is  involved in
some awesome dances again
just now :-)
Check out Battle Scars  from the Awards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pLZ5ant2Ns

Quickly  (Dee Musk)
John Legend (Quickly)
32/4 Intermediate
Music 9 Dance  9
An easy yet super cool 'Spotlight' style West Coast –
Classic English
Cross opening & lots of cool turns, especially the two
twists into a neat
syncopated sequence – Love it :-) Really exited about
our new events co-hosted
with Dee in Folkestone & Tynemouth this year & Port
Talbot next year –  And
Dee & Shiv are hosting our opening Newline Thursday
evening in September  :-)
Check out Dee's lovely Improver country cha from the
Awards Carved In Stone
….......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=K6r9I5DZz1M

Turn The Beat  Around (Dee Musk & Rob Fowler)
Calico (Turn The Beat Around) – Free  download
64/2 Intermediate
Music 10 Dance 10
As seen on TV !! :-) -  Live Laugh Linedance - Most
importantly well done
to Calico for an awesome cover  – Well done – And to
Dee/Rob for a great
dance that does it justice -The class  loved it as I read
many are :-) - An
East Coast speed West Coast/Cha – Not sure  which
lol !!?? - Anyway a solid
mainstream intermediate dance & at the risk  of
sounding repetitive yet another
Top 10 prospect – I taught it in the break of  our
Bristol event by request
& it was really well received – Would have  taught it in
the event but I
needed a Nightclub – Like the side/dip/touches into
the shuffle back sequence
followed by the hip/turns – Lovely dance  :-)
PS. Check out the beginner dance to this Dee/Rob
have done called  Repeat
That Beat

I'm Burnin' Up (Neville & Julie)
Jessie J  (Burnin' Up)
Phrased Advanced
Music 9 Dance 10
A great funky dance  – Don't be scared off – The steps
are cool &
intermediate – The music helps  you with the phrasing
& there's also a few memory
aids for you too – Love  the smooth Part A, the
easy/funky tag & the main
funky/cha Part B – Love all  the reverse ½ turns, a fast
jazz/weave turn & the
syncopation hits the beat  spot on in the 2nd half with
the 1 hold2 & 3 4
timing – Not forgetting the  sexy sway lol !! :-) The
Newline late-birds loved
it – Me too :-)
Think  ATB * ABrB *ABrB – The AbrB sequence starts
facing 3 o'clock each
time & the  Br starts facing 6 o'clock each time - Don't
forget to start
facing 9 o'clock !!  :-)

New Shade Of Blue (Yvonne Anderson)
Southern Pacific (New  Shades Of Blue)
64/4 Improver
Music 9 Dance 9
A lovely smooth/cool  Rumba – Easy enough but nice
enough for the
Intermediates too – A great track –  Love the rock &
turny opening & the reverse
rumba turn sequence –  Another great dance from
Yvonne :-)

Modern Romance (Kate  Sala)
Fiona Cullery (Something To Die For)
64/4 Improver
Music 9 Dance  9
A catchy upbeat Two-Step – Like New Shades above
cool enough for the
Intermediates to enjoy too – Love the side touches
into the flick & the  bounce &
the twist – And the cool double Monteray turn finish
too - Kate is  going
to be Sandy to Karl's Danny at our Broadway/Grease
weekend in July lol !!  :-)

Vertigo (Karl-Harry Winson)
Gavin Degraw (Best I Ever  Had)
64/4 Intermediate
Music 9 Dance 9
So go 'Danny' lol - A great  upbeat & racy East Coast
beat – It rolls along
great with the beat 'Without  Fire' style – Cool 'Titanic'
style scuff/step
ending sequence - Just booked Karl  to do a one-off
weekend with me &
DeeDee in Port Talbot in February 2016 –  This time
next year – Check that one
out :-)

Don't Dance Alone (Maggie Gallagher)
Nikki Ponte (I Don't Wanna  Dance)
64/2 Intermediate
Music 9 Dance 9
A cracking upbeat 8&1  pop Cha – A popular teach at
the Awards & at our
Bristol New Year Bash -  Love the hips into the
walk/mambo opening, a classic
8&1 cha sequence in the  middle & a
cool/different/tester of a turny finish-
We've got Dee Musk as  our guest choreographer in
Hanham, Bristol next
January :-)

Here's To  Us (Maggie Gallagher)
Kevin Rudolf (Here's To Us)
32/4 Improver
Music  10 Dance 9
A catchy Two-Step 'In My Heart' style of dance –
Popular at  Hanham, at
class & with our Sutton Sunday gang too – Love the
catchy  syncopation,
especially a cool side/drag into a turn sequence & the
diagonal  back/lock move :-)
We are fortunate that the Southport Maggie G
Experience in  March is sold
out but come & see Maggie with her Celtica dancers
& guest  choreographer
Daniel Trepat at our new Coventry weekend in
November :-)

Slave 2 The Rhythm (Fred Whitehouse & Joey Warren)
Michael  Jackson (Slave To The Rhythm)
Music 9 Dance 9
For the  Newliners – A cracking fast funky track with a
really cool break
for a Nightclub  style tag – This is a big hit out of
Strictly Stoke & my
late-birds loved it  – The steps are cool & the
challenge it's just the speed
which is what  raises the stakes to advanced !! :-) - I
especially like the
box/slide sequence,  the diagonal sailors & the
kick/steps – Classic
Joey/Fred funky :-) Next up  is Fred's Hypnorized – I'm
sure we'll still be dancing
these come Newline with  Fred in September :-)

Love Me Like You Do (Ria Vos)
Ellie Goulding
64/2  Intermediate
Music 9 Dance 10
Ria can do little wrong she's the best  & this one is
another blockbuster –
A really cool & smooth classy West  Coast heading to
the charts for sure –
Packed with cool & different steps -  Really looking
forward to Ria being
with us at our first Sundance in May with  Darren,
Niels & Karl – Check out
Ria's catchy Samba/Mambo Improver from the
Awards Coffee Time Samba  ….....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=6EjrkfuAZCo&feature=youtu.be –  This is
awesome :-)

Hard To Say It (Niels Poulsen)
Chicago (Hard  To Say I'm Sorry)
32/4 Intermediate
Music 10 Dance 9
Another  awesome nightclub from Niels to a classic &
equally awesome
Chicago track -  Cool diamond turn sequence – Heard
the music for one of Niels's
new ones,  something funky – Bring it on – And well
done again for an
awesome Bubbles  Dahhhling with Simon & well done
to Niels at the Awards :-)

Shades Of Passion (Rob Fowler)
Weeknd (Earned It)
72/4 Higher  Intermediate
Music 10 Dance 9 ….... Use the 160bpm version of the
track
A must for Waltz fans I'd say & the hit teach from the
Awards -  A haunting
Viennese Waltz track & a lovely smooth dance easy &
classic  in places with
a few testers to keep it interesting – A top 10 hit for
sure – 72  counts
fly by with lots of holds/sweeps/drags to slow it down
as is normally the
case with a fast waltz – The spiral/rock-turn/pencil-
turn sequence is what
makes  it higher than average intermediate but you
can calm this bit easily by
taking  out the turns – Otherwise lots of lovely flowing
classic waltz
basics, twinkles  & weaves :-) – And well done Rob for
you smash hit Uptown Funk
battling for  what would be a well deserved No.1 spot

A Thousand Miles  (Karl-Harry Winson)
Westlife (I Wanna Grow Old With You)
32/4  Intermediate
Music 9 Dance 9
A lovely smooth track & an equally  cool dance – I
liked the look of this
one at the Awards & it proved a great  opening to our
mainstream Sutton
Sunday afternoon – Love the rock into the  diagonal
run back into a ¾ chase &
cool slow pressy walks into a neat
fast/syncopated/turny finish - I'm sure
this will be popular by the time we get  to Folkestone
with Karl & Dee – Or
maybe a teach !!?? – Vertigo too – Love  it !! :-)

They Boy Can Dance (Yvonne Anderson)
Afro-Dite (The Boy  Can Dance)
64/2 Intermediate
Music 9 Dance 9
A cool upbeat disco  pop East Coast – Again another I
was impressed with
from the Awards & well  received by our Sutton
Sunday dancers – Great
stomp/hold sequence - I'm so  looking forward to our
Tynemouth Xmas Party weekend
with Yvonne & Dee this  December :-)

Dave.
=== Events :

rms.html
=== VIP's :

http://www.bigdavegastap.com/JoinVIP.htm
===www.bigdavegastap.com
07868-424587  (Pauline/Booking Line)
Dave Baycroft
48 Chatsworth Drive, Bedlington  Station,

Northumberland, NE22

ANY QUESTIONS OR POSTS ALSO SHOULD BE SENT TO TKA...@AOL.COM. It will come just to me and not the entire group.

The views expressed in this newsletter are not necessarily mine. Please try to be tactful if you have a problem with something or someone. I also do not endorse or guarantee any offers for lessons, cruises, events, merchandise or anything else exchanged for money so please read offers carefully.

PLEASE VOTE IN THE WEEKLY SURVEY. List up to 8 of your current favorites and e-mail them to tka...@aol.com by late afternoons on Sunday. PLEASE DO NOT VOTE FOR YOUR OWN DANCES AND PLEASE DO NOT ASK PEOPLE TO VOTE FOR YOUR DANCES.

HOW TO POST THINGS IN THE NEWSLETTER:

Please TYPE in:

SUBJECT: (This is NOT just the subject line of an e-mail but should be in the body of the e-mail)
FROM: (include e-mail contact, city/state/country (if outside U.S.) and website, if any.

Write a short note about your subject. A first name and an e-mail address must accompany your post so if I need to contact you or anyone else needs to contact you, they will be able to. I cannot attach things and I cannot post things that are in all kinds of fonts. Please TYPE what you would like me to add and put a link to your site or a note about how to contact you for a brochure or registration form. Thanks for your help. Send to tka...@aol.com.

If you would like to contribute for the newsletter/web site you mail it to me at 1414 Bentley St., Clearwater, FL.  33755 or send to paypal account tka...@aol.com, but IT IS NOT REQUIRED!!  www.worldlinedancenewsletter.com
Carol Craven
tka...@aol.com