Hosted WordPress and custom tools for scientists

Nick Ryall

Feb 9, 2012, 4:16:30 AM2/9/12
to Wordpress for Scientists
Dear all,

My name is Nick Ryall and I'm currently working on developing a fully
hosted WordPress solution for scientists and academics. The product
will work in the same way as WordPress.com but with a focus on
providing plugins, themes and tools to benefit academic and scientific
authoring.

I am interested to hear your thoughts on the usefulness of such a
platform and would love to begin active dialogue with this group with
the hope of creating the best solution available.

The site itself will be hosted on the unique domain http://world.edu
with each individual site made available on a chosen sub-domain e.g.
'http://yourname.world.edu'.

Apart from this, I am also an experienced WordPress developer and will
be happy to help out with any questions or plugin requests/help you
may have.

Thanks,
Nick

Kaveh Bazargan

Feb 9, 2012, 5:32:24 AM2/9/12
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
hard to comment with nothing to see.

--
Kaveh Bazargan
www.river-valley.com | www.river-valley.tv | www.bazargan.org

Phillip Lord

Feb 9, 2012, 9:52:30 AM2/9/12
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com

The basic idea is fine. Hosting a wordpress site is a pain that many
scientists could do without. Using wordpress.com gets you advertising
and gives you a stock installation.

The devil is in the detail. Which plugins and, critically, which themes
will you make available, and will they look nice. Scientists (well,
people in general) often underestimate the hassle of looking after a
website, so will tend to go for their own server solution, if it doesn't
do what they want.

Basically, you have to show that they are enough better than
wordpress.com to be worth bothering with for those who don't host their
own. And close enough for those who do or would host their own to be
easier.

Phil

--
Phillip Lord, Phone: +44 (0) 191 222 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics, Email: philli...@newcastle.ac.uk

Nick Ryall

Feb 12, 2012, 12:33:36 AM2/12/12
to Wordpress for Scientists
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your response. I agree that the features we provide are the
most important aspect in a project such as this.

We are looking at developing custom plugins for academic and
scientific details alongside well designed themes that work across
multiple devices (mobile phones, tablets etc).

Indeed, the devil is in the details, so we want to work with
individuals like yourself in helping us decide which are the most
useful tools for inclusion.

Nick

On Feb 10, 12:52 am, phillip.l...@newcastle.ac.uk (Phillip Lord)
wrote:
> The basic idea is fine. Hosting a wordpress site is a pain that many
> scientists could do without. Using wordpress.com gets you advertising
> and gives you a stock installation.
>
> The devil is in the detail. Which plugins and, critically, which themes
> will you make available, and will they look nice. Scientists (well,
> people in general) often underestimate the hassle of looking after a
> website, so will tend to go for their own server solution, if it doesn't
> do what they want.
>
> Basically, you have to show that they are enough better than
> wordpress.com to be worth bothering with for those who don't host their
> own. And close enough for those who do or would host their own to be
> easier.
>
> Phil
>

> Nick Ryall <nick.ry...@gmail.com> writes:
> > My name is Nick Ryall and I'm currently working on developing a fully
> > hosted WordPress solution for scientists and academics. The product
> > will work in the same way as WordPress.com  but with a focus on
> > providing plugins, themes and tools to benefit academic and scientific
> > authoring.
>
> > I am interested to hear your thoughts on the usefulness of such a
> > platform and would love to begin active dialogue with this group with
> > the hope of creating the best solution available.
>
> > The site itself will be hosted on the unique domainhttp://world.edu
> > with each individual site made available on a chosen sub-domain e.g.
> > 'http://yourname.world.edu'.
>
> > Apart from this, I am also an experienced WordPress developer and will
> > be happy to help out with any questions or plugin requests/help you
> > may have.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Nick
>
> --
> Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 222 7827
> Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: phillip.l...@newcastle.ac.uk

Nick Ryall

Feb 12, 2012, 12:34:50 AM2/12/12
to Wordpress for Scientists
Point taken Kaveh. Would you be interested in taking a look at what we
have thus far? I can provide a login to the beta stage product if you
contact me via email.

On Feb 9, 8:32 pm, Kaveh Bazargan <kaveh1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hard to comment with nothing to see.
>
> On 9 February 2012 14:46, Nick Ryall <nick.ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Dear all,
>
> > My name is Nick Ryall and I'm currently working on developing a fully
> > hosted WordPress solution for scientists and academics. The product
> > will work in the same way as WordPress.com  but with a focus on
> > providing plugins, themes and tools to benefit academic and scientific
> > authoring.
>
> > I am interested to hear your thoughts on the usefulness of such a
> > platform and would love to begin active dialogue with this group with
> > the hope of creating the best solution available.
>
> > The site itself will be hosted on the unique domainhttp://world.edu

Carl Leubsdorf, Jr.

Feb 12, 2012, 1:06:26 AM2/12/12
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
I'd be very interested in seeing the beta.

_________________
Carl Leubsdorf, Jr.

Kaveh Bazargan

Feb 12, 2012, 5:46:45 AM2/12/12
On 12 February 2012 05:34, Nick Ryall <nick....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Point taken Kaveh. Would you be interested in taking a look at what we
> have thus far? I can provide a login to the beta stage product if you
> contact me via email.

Will do. Interested to see. Hope tone of my voice wasn't too terse. ;-)

> On Feb 9, 8:32 pm, Kaveh Bazargan <kaveh1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hard to comment with nothing to see.
>>
>> On 9 February 2012 14:46, Nick Ryall <nick.ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Dear all,
>>
>> > My name is Nick Ryall and I'm currently working on developing a fully
>> > hosted WordPress solution for scientists and academics. The product
>> > will work in the same way as WordPress.com  but with a focus on
>> > providing plugins, themes and tools to benefit academic and scientific
>> > authoring.
>>
>> > I am interested to hear your thoughts on the usefulness of such a
>> > platform and would love to begin active dialogue with this group with
>> > the hope of creating the best solution available.
>>
>> > The site itself will be hosted on the unique domainhttp://world.edu
>> > with each individual site made available on a chosen sub-domain e.g.
>> > 'http://yourname.world.edu'.
>>
>> > Apart from this, I am also an experienced WordPress developer and will
>> > be happy to help out with any questions or plugin requests/help you
>> > may have.
>>
>> > Thanks,
>> > Nick
>>
>> --
>> Kaveh Bazarganwww.river-valley.com|www.river-valley.tv|www.bazargan.org

cameron...@stfc.ac.uk

Feb 13, 2012, 3:39:52 AM2/13/12
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
> We are looking at developing custom plugins for academic and
> scientific details alongside well designed themes that work across
> multiple devices (mobile phones, tablets etc).

I'd add that rather than developing there is a huge value in validation of third party themes and plugins that are relevant and play well together. With the growth of various things out there providing a service that really guarantees that plugins will place nicely with kblog or Anotum and that the referencing systems are compatible would be really valuable. There is some value in developing new but the real value from my perspective is providing a package that will "just work" for people.

Cheers

Cameron

--
Scanned by iCritical.

Hugh Paterson III

Feb 13, 2012, 12:32:41 PM2/13/12
to Wordpress for Scientists
As would I.

Kaveh Bazargan

Feb 29, 2012, 4:17:44 AM2/29/12
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
Any news of a login, Nick?

Stefan Kasberger

Jan 29, 2013, 7:12:16 PM1/29/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
sounds really interesting. I've started something similiar in the last months, maybe we can talk a little bit abot our ideas in detail:
started an own thread here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/wordpress-for-scientists/KRR7Iz9XYRo

greet, stefan