is this content appropriate or should we have another mailing list?

Peter Krautzberger

Jan 25, 2012, 11:45:02 AM1/25/12
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

In a recent conversation on google+, the idea of a "wp4math" mailing list came up. This is somewhat related to one of the projects I'm involved in, boolesrings.org, which is about using wordpress to run academic homepages (of mathematicians).

Here are some examples to illustrate the content we'd hope to discuss on such a mailing list.

- Hey, I found this really awesome plugin that does yada yada and it might be useful for displaying your articles (or whatever).
- I saw on your blog that you have a blah blah, how did you do that?
- Is there a way to sync the content of a page on a blog with a PDF (for things like CV's and teaching/research statements)?
- What are some best practices for academic/mathematical blogging?

I suggested that we shouldn't open another mailing list but post here.

I realize that this mailing list is focused on academic publishing right now so I wanted to check if that was ok with the crowd here.

Peter.

Carl Boettiger

Jan 25, 2012, 11:56:37 AM1/25/12
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Thanks for sharing.  I for one would be interested.

I think these questions are very relevant to the academic publishing questions addressed by this group as well, particularly as this is another problem traditional publishing tools have never solved (for those of us doing math in biology anyway, your collaborators don't know latex, or your publisher won't take latex, etc).

-Carl
--
Carl Boettiger
UC Davis

Jodi Schneider

Jan 25, 2012, 6:08:01 PM1/25/12
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Peter Krautzberger <p.kraut...@googlemail.com> wrote:

I suggested that we shouldn't open another mailing list but post here.

+1
-Jodi

Peter Krautzberger

Jan 26, 2012, 10:28:57 AM1/26/12