Open Science Theme

Stefan Kasberger

Jan 29, 2013, 7:08:48 PM1/29/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
hey,

I started to program a wordpress theme especially to publish the open science way. This means easy publishing of the whole scientific research (research diary) with linking to data, sourcecode, other literature, information about the researcher, content about the participants and so on - sharing experiences with the whole world in an as easy way as possible (for which wordpress seems to be for me the best way). It's not ment as an journal or any other specialized platform (no peer review, no scientific reputation) to share scientific papers, but it will be possible to publish papers andshort papers too.

short description: http://openscience.alpine-geckos.at/projects/open-science-wordpress-theme/
actual documentation: https://github.com/skasberger/openscience-wordpress-theme/blob/master/doc/opensciencewordpresstheme.org

Would love to get some feedback and maybe someone is interesting to join the project and support it.

greetz, stefan from austria

Phillip Lord

Jan 30, 2013, 6:41:58 AM1/30/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com

You might want to take a look at my knowledgeblog tools which, for
instance, provide the citation and download widgets, that you can see
here:

http://bio-ontologies.knowledgeblog.org/

Also the table of contents and metadata support for multiple authors.

http://bio-ontologies.knowledgeblog.org/table-of-contents

All this metadata is injected into the headers in extractable form,
which makes the data more findable.

As well, as kblog-metadata, there is also kcite which is a citation
engine which works of (most) DOIs, pubmed IDs, or arbitrary URLs; this
makes both literature and data citation possible.

I use this to do the citation on my website.

http://www.russet.org.uk/blog/2316

Currently these are plugins; one thing that I have been interested in is
adding them to a theme, so that they can could be used on Wordpress.com.

Phil
--
Phillip Lord, Phone: +44 (0) 191 222 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics, Email: philli...@newcastle.ac.uk

Tieu Thuy N

Jan 30, 2013, 11:39:59 AM1/30/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
This is wonderful news to me. I am currently trying to build a website for a researcher and your project seems to answer all our needs. I love Wordpress, but I am no power-developer and plugin hunting for the requests I've received has been very frustrating to me.
If you need testing and user input, I will happily contribute.

@}---`----
Tiểu Thúy Nguyễn
Librarian, Équipe RENARD
Montréal, Canada

Stefan Kasberger

Jan 30, 2013, 11:46:29 AM1/30/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the help and response.

I'm already using a lot of plugins, dont think its helpful to build an open science platform from the ground. One of the most impressing plugins till now is JSON API, but also the others like Advanced Custom Fields, Event Organizer, Leaflet Maps Marker, PrintFriendly, Syntax Highllghter Compress, Wordpress MarkDown and Custom Post Type UI are very helpful for the basic needs.

I will implement next a php class structure and then the science content part. so then the whole citing thing comes in, and i will see which plugin and API will be used. I'm a bachelor student, so citing and scientific writing is of course my weak spot, so would be very nice to get some help in this.

Most important thing is, to get a basic version running as soon as possible. My plan is to release the 1.0 Version in Summer after a finishing code sprint.

Hugh Paterson III

Jan 31, 2013, 12:37:32 PM1/31/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
I'm just wondering if anyone has approached using ISO 639-3 codes with linkeddata or RDF with wordpress. I was looking at AcademicPress, NetBlog and the Enhanced BibliPlug plugin in.

Does anyone have experience with any of these plugins? Here are two open questions I had about these plugins.

Phillip Lord

Feb 1, 2013, 6:26:07 AM2/1/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com

My own kcite is rather easier to use than AcademicPress. You put an
identifier in a shortcode, and it gathers all the metadata. Only the
identifier stays in the database, so error fixes to the source database
percolate (with a long caching period!).

It doesn't support CiTO yet; I would add this (it is trivial to do), if
I could be convinced that anyone is actually going to use it. At the
moment, I can't see what advantage the author is supposed to get from
doing so.

Custom fields won't work with this approach, because the metadata comes
from elsewhere. What do you want to do with the fields? To me, it would
make more sense to have an independent markup -- then you could surround
cite tags with additional metadata tags.

Finally, OAI export -- kcite doesn't do this, but it will allow you to
recover all the cites in a article as JSON. A bibtex export would be
quite nice, come to think of it. I should add that.

Phil

Olivier Baudry

Aug 16, 2013, 4:57:06 AM8/16/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
Very well initiative I think its will be good to joint pubpress plugin.

I just report bug  on  page-course_overview.php on line 23

Olivier

Jo Young

Aug 16, 2013, 11:55:21 AM8/16/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
Great idea Stefan, thanks for sharing. A Wordpress theme like this would be really useful for researchers. I look forward to seeing it develop!

Jo

Jonathan Jones

Aug 16, 2013, 3:27:14 PM8/16/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I have developed a system around buddypress and wordpress multisite that allows people to join a network (like wordpress.com) and create many collaborative websites

Each member has a profile that allows them to indicate what subject area they are interested in and what roles they are interested in fulfilling on other peoples sites.
If you are scientist for example. you could indicate that you are interested in peer reviewing work on cancer research. Members who are interested in writing or editing in this area can then invite reviewers to look at their work before publication.

In other words you can make a network of journals where all members can collaborate and take any role from writer, reviewer or editor, on any site, if you are invited.
At the moment I have just enabled writer and editor. I originally created this with scientists in mind, but found the challenge of creating a custom WYSWIG editor and citation system to hard / time consuming.
So I adapted to work as a collaborative blogging network for anyone looking to collaborate.

Is anyone interested in taking a look? If I can find collaborators who can program then we may be able to create a truly collaborative publishing platform for researchers.

Please let me know and I will send through a login.

Kind regards,

Jon Jones

Carl Leubsdorf, Jr.

Aug 16, 2013, 3:57:54 PM8/16/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
I'm definitely interested in collaborating.  I'd like to see how we might integrate this with Annotum.  It's worth mentioning that we are currently working on a new version of Annotum with a much more robust, XML-validating editor that should produce very clean NLM XML code.  I'd be interested in seeing how that plus BuddyPress (and perhaps bbPress for discussions, along with some sort of repository for research materials, might be used to create a research and publishing workspace/community.

Jon, please send a login.

Thanks!

-C

_______________________
Carl Leubsdorf, Jr.
Solvitor ► Problem Solved.

Jonathan Jones

Aug 21, 2013, 2:46:04 PM8/21/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carl,

Just to let you know I sent through a login and some instructions to your personal email box.
Please let me know your thoughts. It is a but rough and will require some adapting, but the edges can be smoothed quickly if needed.

Thanks,

Jon
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wordpress-for-scientists+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Carl Leubsdorf, Jr.

Aug 21, 2013, 9:53:50 PM8/21/13
to wordpress-fo...@googlegroups.com
I got your emails. I will be looking into this presently.

Thanks!