Nextgen Gallery problem

Larry Bartley

Jan 7, 2012, 5:02:51 PM1/7/12
to WordPress Austin
I'm trying to upload some 2mb JPGs to a brand new Wordpress (3.3.1)
installation through the Nextgen gallery plugin (1.9.1). It's on a
clients server with an unfamiliar control panel and I get the
following error message.

"Upload failed! The uploaded file exceeds the upload_max_filesize
directive in php.ini"

I've not seen this in Wordpress before. The name of the file
referenced suggests it might be a server issue. Any ideas how to fix
this and increase the file size limit?

Thanks,
Larry

Bill Erickson

Jan 7, 2012, 5:07:16 PM1/7/12
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's set by your hosting company, not WordPress. The easiest way to fix it is to contact the hosting company and ask them to increase the max.

Here's how to do it yourself on Bluehost: http://www.billerickson.net/increase-wordpress-upload-limit-on-bluehost/

---
Bill Erickson
WordPress Consultant
http://www.billerickson.net

Our meeting information is available at http://www.meetup.com/austinwordpress/

Larry Bartley

Jan 7, 2012, 5:53:40 PM1/7/12
to WordPress Austin
Thanks Bill-

This site is on IPower.com and I can't find any way to get to the
buttons you describe on Bluehost. I sent a trouble ticket to them to
request an increase. The odd thing is that I pulled all these images
down from his old site so apparently there was no restriction when
they were uploaded before.

Larry

On Jan 7, 4:07 pm, Bill Erickson <bill.erick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, that's set by your hosting company, not WordPress. The easiest way to
> fix it is to contact the hosting company and ask them to increase the max.
>
> Here's how to do it yourself on Bluehost:http://www.billerickson.net/increase-wordpress-upload-limit-on-bluehost/
>
> ---
> Bill Erickson
> WordPress Consultanthttp://www.billerickson.net

Brandtley McMinn

Jan 7, 2012, 6:08:00 PM1/7/12
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com
If you backed up the database from the old WordPress install then so
long as the images were reuploaded via FTP to the same directory
locations, WordPress should automatically pull those as expected without
reestablishing those links. Unless it's a brand new site with new content.

Some hosts allow individual root accounts to establish their own php.ini
file to override server PHP settings. or Find the php.ini file located
in your root directory or try creating your own php.ini file in your
root directory or whereever WordPress is installed and modify the
"upload_max_filesize" property to say 5M.

Another other option would be to use photoshop or some other image
manipulation software that has output compression parameters to compress
the file size down to a more manageable upload size before uploading.

Hope you get it worked out.

- Brandtley

Larry Bartley

Jan 7, 2012, 9:10:37 PM1/7/12
to WordPress Austin
Thanks Brandtley- Guess I forgot to mention, the old site was a
Dreamweaver site. I had already re-sized the original images and got
them to work. My client don't have any re-sizing capabilities and
don't want to do anything "that complicated". :-) Just wants to upload
unedited shots from his camera. Now that I know where to look to solve
the problem I should be able to get him going.

Thanks Again, Larry

Bill Christensen

Jan 7, 2012, 9:37:50 PM1/7/12
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com
WordPress uploads are dependent on the PHP settings.

FTP usually is not, and often is configured with a much higher allowable
limit.

One semi-quick and dirty workaround - useful when you're waiting for
Customer Support to up your PHP upload limit (assuming they're willing,
or setting themselves up to lose a customer if they're not) is to upload
a smaller file - perhaps at whatever you've set for your thumbnail or
midrange size image - and then replacing via FTP with a full sized
version of the same.

I'm not *positive* that'll work with NextGen, though on rare occasions
I've had to do something like that with a massive PDF on a client's site.

There's also a plugin which will reindex your wp-content/uploads
directory, so that stuff you upload in bulk by FTP is recognized and
visible in your WP media listings. I don't recall the name but I think
Paul mentioned it on the list a few months back. Again, I don't know if
it can be configured to work for NextGen galleries, but it might be
worth looking into as a temporary fix.

--
Bill Christensen

<http://SustainableSources.com>

Lorin Rivers

Jan 9, 2012, 8:36:45 PM1/9/12
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com
Larry,

It sounds as if NextGEN Gallery is choking making the thumbnails (I have had some issues with larger images and NextGEN myself).

One thing to take a look at is the php info. Create a file (call it info.php or something) at the root level of your WordPress install with the contents:
<?php

phpinfo();

?>

Then go visit that page and see what the memory allocation is.

You can try creating a file called ".user.ini" (note the leading period) at the root level of your WordPress install.

Make the contents of this file be:
memory_limit = 128M

The value should be larger than the amount reported by phpinfo.

> --
>
> Our meeting information is available at http://www.meetup.com/austinwordpress/

--
Lorin Rivers
Mosasaur: Killer Technical Marketing <http://www.mosasaur.com>
<mailto:lri...@mosasaur.com>
512/203.3198 (m)

Paul Menard

Jan 9, 2012, 9:15:38 PM1/9/12
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com
I think Lorin is close on this. But I will say the file you are to create depends on the hosting. On some your file will be php.ini in the wp-admin (where the page is running). On others I've see the override entered into the .htaccess.

Also, there are sometimes different PHP directives. I've seem some hosts use the 'memory_limit'. On some newer host environments there are actually 2 parameters

post_max_size
upload_max_filesize

Check with the hosting. They will generally tell you if you can override PHP parameters.

P-

Jeff Bernier

Jan 9, 2012, 9:25:21 PM1/9/12
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com
I'll also add that I've seen the file be a php5.ini file so it can also depend on the version of PHP for hosts that offer PHP 4 and 5.

Jeff Bernier
Computer Consulting Wizards

Brandtley McMinn

Jan 9, 2012, 9:34:15 PM1/9/12
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com
'memory_limit' has very little to do with the file upload size if PHP is saying the file is too large. 'memory_limit' is used to define how much memory any one PHP script can allocate on the server for processing. Check the definition if you want a more thorough explanation. http://php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php#ini.memory-limit.

This is necessary since if you use a shared host, you can be penalized for excessive memory usage. Granted if the process of uploading the file data exceeds the 'memory_limit' for that script then you would get an "out of memory" error, not a "file upload exceeds max file size limit" error.

The issue is the 'upload_max_filesize' property is set too low for the image files being uploaded. Most hosts will define 'upload_max_filesize = 2MB' since that is a safe range for average use. 2Mb+ is a large file size for any image to be used on the web, but seeing as it's a photographer's site I can see the reason for needing those large files.

Far as I know the php5.ini vs php4.ini is merely semantic differentiation between preferred configurations depending which engine Apache is loading. Apache has a definition for which .ini file to use when enabling PHP so make sure you use whatever is in your directory by default. Chances are if your host allows you to override PHP's initial .ini config then you can do so without worry. If the Apache install declares the directory cannot override the initial php.ini file then you're SOL.

- Brandtley

Lorin Rivers

Jan 25, 2012, 3:26:14 PM1/25/12
to wordpres...@googlegroups.com
In this case, however, it has to do with the memory available for generating the thumbnails.