apostrophes suddenly don't work

J. Hannibal

Jun 9, 2017, 3:32:17 PM6/9/17
to WordleUsers
I've been working on wordles all day today, and apostrophes worked great - I typed them in as-is with the words, and the system recognized them without a problem.

Now I came back this evening to do another wordle - same computer, same browser, same list of words copied from the same email - and the apostrophes suddenly create a problem!

The system treats apostrophes (as of this evening) like word breaks, so each apostrophe breaks up one word/phrase into two.

I'm using a longish list of words, and I've tried various workarounds to no avail.  Adding a tilde before and after the apostrophe looks stupid and/or doesn't work. The "add it via the advanced tab with word counts" version is going to be a massive pain due to the length of the word list (and I've tried via Word Count but it formats wonky with a tab instead of a colon, so I can't just copy/paste that).  But I might resort to manual entry in advanced, just because I'm not finding a better option.  I am working on a PC using IE, and have also tried it on a Mac/Safari this evening.  No luck.

Anyone have any advice?  Did something change in Wordle behind the scenes today?

Thanks in advance. :)

Jonathan Feinberg

Jun 9, 2017, 3:33:22 PM6/9/17
to wordl...@googlegroups.com
Well, Wordle hasn't changed, so perhaps your input has? Is it possible that you're using some word processor that has changed your apostrophes into "smart quotes"?