Jonathan Feinberg

Aug 20, 2018, 4:30:14 PM8/20/18
to wordl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 4:29 PM Pierfrancesco Marro <pfm...@gmail.com> wrote:
THANK YOU

but with Firefox or Chrome?

Chrome does not run Java applets, and Wordle is a Java applet.

wyat...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2018, 7:08:27 AM8/22/18
to WordleUsers
Hello Mr Feinberg

I am a Teacher and an IT expert with 20 years of experience in the UX sector. I have a question for you: Is it a good idea to run a website that is blocked from use by a default windows10 install? Further to this, given that Google Chrome is the world's most used browser, is it a good idea to be blocked by its default settings? I think if you don't figure out how to work around this problem, your website will fall out of use with most non-technical users and die.

If you wish to keep Wordle functioning, you need to fix this problem. Perhaps Java is not the only platform you need to be supporting.

Thanks.

Jonathan Feinberg

Aug 22, 2018, 7:19:22 AM8/22/18
to wordl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 7:08 AM <wyat...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am a Teacher and an IT expert with 20 years of experience in the UX sector. I have a question for you: Is it a good idea to run a website that is blocked from use by a default windows10 install? Further to this, given that Google Chrome is the world's most used browser, is it a good idea to be blocked by its default settings? I think if you don't figure out how to work around this problem, your website will fall out of use with most non-technical users and die.

If you wish to keep Wordle functioning, you need to fix this problem. Perhaps Java is not the only platform you need to be supporting.

I have to wonder what your image is of the person you're addressing with your email.

Perhaps you imagine someone running a business, who depends on Wordle for their livelihood.

Perhaps you imagine a dedicated staff of software engineers, a Team Wordle, 12 people with 8 hours a day to devote to improving and deploying Wordle.

Perhaps you imagine an independently wealthy person, who can spend all time as though it were leisure time, and who could, for example, simply reimplement 10,000 lines of Java in some other language, for some other environment, having none of the same features or benefits of Java.

The person you're actually addressing is none of those. He's a person with a family, and a full-time job, who ten years ago ago made something that seemed useful and fun, and got permission from his employer at the time to make it freely available. As Java has become unsupported in web browsers, Wordle has become more difficult to use. And when Java in the browser is dead, Wordle will die.