Creating an SVG for a web page

Chiara Rossignoli

May 1, 2015, 2:50:10 PM5/1/15
to wordl...@googlegroups.com
I am a big fan of Wordle but I need to make a larger (higher res) image to post on a website.
(Note - I do not need to print it, hence a PDF of whatever res is of no interest to me, unless it is a path to getting me a higher res web page.)

Modern, large, hi-res monitors display the PNG that one can generate with the Wordle app with a lot of low-res steps and staircases.

I understand that what I need to generate is an SVG file.

The Wordle FAQ very kindly points me towards PDFCreator saying that it allows you to "print" directly to SVG.

Unfortunately, as is stated clearly on the web site of the authors

this facility has been discontinued. It appears that it had only been some kind of work-around in earlier versions but, in any case, it is no more.

I also checked out the SVGMaker that is mentioned in the FAQ but I find that it is a bit of a mess (e.g. it turned my page through 90 degrees) - but maybe that is because I have not yet bought an official version.

Before I buy it, may I ask if anyone has any recent experience with this product and can recommend it (or otherwise).

Or if any one has any other pointers on how to make my higer res wordle web page then I would be very pleased to receive them.

Thank you.

printerideas

May 1, 2015, 3:36:02 PM5/1/15
to wordl...@googlegroups.com
You can still get download 1.7.3 of PDF Creator from pdffforge, and I suggest you hurry over and do so while you still can.
-Kay
CleverSomeday
Geeky Ideas for Desktop Crafting

Chiara Rossignoli

May 4, 2015, 4:54:14 PM5/4/15
to wordl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for that.

I have downloaded it and I am still playing with it. One thing is that, despite the properties saying landscape, it is flipping the figure up into portrait!

However, in general, can we look forward a bit here:

Although PDFForge still offer their old version (for the time being - and who knows how long that will last) they state that the SVG output was withdrawn because it was a kind of work around (I paraphrase here).

Given that screens and res are getting bigger, (so I can't be the only person santing to do this) is there no other way to get a very funky looking wordle saved as a jpeg or png or similar with a "high" res?

Regards

RD

printerideas

May 4, 2015, 5:37:07 PM5/4/15
to wordl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can go through PDF, then open the PDF in Photoshop or Inkscape and convert it to high resolution bitmap. There are dozens of virtual PDF print drivers available.