25 Nov, 2015 - Feast of St. Catherine of Alexandria

Paul Abraham

Nov 24, 2015, 11:33:09 PM11/24/15
to The Word Among Us, INTERNATIONAL YOUTH COMMUNITY, EINDHOVEN

"Do not worry"

Opening Prayer

God our Father,
we believe that your plans for us
are for peace and courage, and not for fear.
Keep us open-eyed to the signs
of the constant coming of Jesus your Son.
Help us to commit ourselves untiringly
to the growth of your kingdom among us
by carrying out your plans for peace and love
and for all that makes our world more
your world and the way to your home.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Liturgy of the Word

First Reading Introduction

     The message of hope of the previous days continues in today’s readings. The Syrian king oppressed the Jews and declared himself “Epiphanes,” that is, “God become visible”; God will soon judge him and his kingdom will come to an end. He appears here disguised, under the name Belshazzar. On the other hand, the persecuted Christians will bear witness to God and to his Son Jesus Christ by their fidelity.

First Reading: Dn 5:1-6, 13-14, 16-17, 23-28

King Belshazzar gave a great banquet for a thousand of his lords,
with whom he drank.
Under the influence of the wine,
he ordered the gold and silver vessels
which Nebuchadnezzar, his father,
had taken from the temple in Jerusalem,
to be brought in so that the king, his lords,
his wives and his entertainers might drink from them.
When the gold and silver vessels
taken from the house of God in Jerusalem had been brought in,
and while the king, his lords, his wives and his entertainers
were drinking wine from them,
they praised their gods of gold and silver,
bronze and iron, wood and stone.

Suddenly, opposite the lampstand,
the fingers of a human hand appeared,
writing on the plaster of the wall in the king's palace.
When the king saw the wrist and hand that wrote, his face blanched;
his thoughts terrified him, his hip joints shook,
and his knees knocked.

Then Daniel was brought into the presence of the king.
The king asked him, "Are you the Daniel, the Jewish exile,
whom my father, the king, brought from Judah?
I have heard that the Spirit of God is in you,
that you possess brilliant knowledge and extraordinary wisdom.
I have heard that you can interpret dreams and solve difficulties;
if you are able to read the writing and tell me what it means,
you shall be clothed in purple,
wear a gold collar about your neck,
and be third in the government of the kingdom."

Daniel answered the king:
"You may keep your gifts, or give your presents to someone else;
but the writing I will read for you, O king,
and tell you what it means.
You have rebelled against the Lord of heaven.
You had the vessels of his temple brought before you,
so that you and your nobles, your wives and your entertainers,
might drink wine from them;
and you praised the gods of silver and gold,
bronze and iron, wood and stone,
that neither see nor hear nor have intelligence.
But the God in whose hand is your life breath
and the whole course of your life, you did not glorify.
By him were the wrist and hand sent, and the writing set down.

"This is the writing that was inscribed:
MENE, TEKEL, and PERES.
These words mean:
MENE, God has numbered your kingdom and put an end to it;
TEKEL, you have been weighed on the scales and found wanting;
PERES, your kingdom has been divided and given to the Medes and Persians."

Responsorial Psalm: Dn 3:62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67

R./ Give glory and eternal praise to him.

"Sun and moon, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever."

R./ Give glory and eternal praise to him.

"Stars of heaven, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever."

R./ Give glory and eternal praise to him.

"Every shower and dew, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever."

R./ Give glory and eternal praise to him.

"All you winds, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever."

R./ Give glory and eternal praise to him.

"Fire and heat, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever."

R./ Give glory and eternal praise to him.

"Cold and chill, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever."

R./ Give glory and eternal praise to him.

Gospel Introduction

      Our baptism has made us witnesses of Christ. But it is not always an easy path, especially in times of great change, and even more so for missionaries. Difficulties will come from those closest to us. But we may rest assured that Christ is with us and that through his Spirit he will make us eloquent and give us the wisdom what to say and do. Do not be afraid! This may be easier said than done.

Gospel Reading: Lk 21:12-19

Jesus said, "Before all this happens, people will lay their hands on you and persecute you; you will be delivered to the Jewish courts and put in prison, and for my sake you will be brought before kings and governors. This will be your opportunity to bear witness.

"So keep this in mind: do not worry in advance about what to answer, for I will give you words and wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to withstand or contradict.

"You will be betrayed even by parents, and brothers, by relatives and friends, and some of you will be put to death. But even though you are hated by all for my name's sake, not a hair of your head will perish. Through perseverance you will possess your own selves."

"SOBER UP" (1 Sm 1:14)

"Under the influence of the wine..." —Daniel 5:2

At this time of year, the world is obsessed with "Holiday" shopping events for Thanksgiving and Christmas. The Church, however, has a different focus. The liturgical year comes to a close this Saturday, and a new Church Year begins with Advent this Sunday. The Church focuses upon being prepared for the comings of Jesus at Christmas, at the hour of our death, and in His Second Coming.

Tomorrow, in the USA, people celebrate the holiday of Thanksgiving with feasting and the drinking of alcohol. Some of these gatherings will feature "drunken show" (see 1 Sm 1:14) similar to that which occurred at King Belshazzar's blasphemous party (see Dn 5:1ff). Belshazzar's life ended that night; he had no further time to repent of his blasphemous acts and undo the damage he caused during his drunken binge.

The Church is likewise throwing a Thanksgiving Day party tomorrow which also features holy vessels, wine, celebration, feasting, and the death of the host. It's called the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. The Mass features the Eucharist, a word which means "Thanksgiving." Some Thanksgiving gatherings will begin with Mass and end with prayers of thanksgiving and praise.

Tomorrow and all days, be under the influence of the Holy Spirit and not under the influence of any substance. Give thanks the Church's way instead of the world's way.

Prayer: Father, may they who give thanks to You be many and may they bring greater glory to You (2 Cor 4:15).

Weekly Learning from the      Catechism of the Catholic Church

PART TWO: THE CELEBRATION OF THE CHRISTIAN MYSTERY

SECTION TWO

CHAPTER ONE - THE SACRAMENTS OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION

Article 3 THE SACRAMENT OF THE EUCHARIST

IV. The Liturgical Celebration of the Eucharist

The Mass of all ages

1353 In the epiclesis, the Church asks the Father to send his Holy Spirit (or the power of his blessing178) on the bread and wine, so that by his power they may become the body and blood of Jesus Christ and so that those who take part in the Eucharist may be one body and one spirit (some liturgical traditions put the epiclesis after the anamnesis).
In the institution narrative, the power of the words and the action of Christ, and the power of the Holy Spirit, make sacramentally present under the species of bread and wine Christ's body and blood, his sacrifice offered on the cross once for all.

1354 In the anamnesis that follows, the Church calls to mind the Passion, resurrection, and glorious return of Christ Jesus; she presents to the Father the offering of his Son which reconciles us with him.
In the intercessions, the Church indicates that the Eucharist is celebrated in communion with the whole Church in heaven and on earth, the living and the dead, and in communion with the pastors of the Church, the Pope, the diocesan bishop, his presbyterium and his deacons, and all the bishops of the whole world together with their Churches.

1355 In the communion, preceded by the Lord's prayer and the breaking of the bread, the faithful receive "the bread of heaven" and "the cup of salvation," the body and blood of Christ who offered himself "for the life of the world":179

Because this bread and wine have been made Eucharist ("eucharisted," according to an ancient expression), "we call this food Eucharist, and no one may take part in it unless he believes that what we teach is true, has received baptism for the forgiveness of sins and new birth, and lives in keeping with what Christ taught."180

Blessed Mother Mary, Mother of Good Counsel,  pray for us that we may open ourselves to GOD’s WORD.

Please pray the holy Rosary.

Acknowledgments

We sincerely thank these wonderful ministries for granting us permission to use these resources for our online fellowship. May LORD bless them abundantly in their work in spreading the Gospel message !

  1. Claretian Communications, Inc. – [http://www.bible.claret.org] for

Litrurgy of WORD and the Commentaries -- http://www.bible.claret.org/liturgy/

  1. Presentation Ministries – [http://www.presentationministries.com] for the One Bread, One Body Reflection.  --  http://www.presentationministries.com/obob/obob.asp