Wikipedia articles for Noether Lecturers

ChristinaSormani

Jan 7, 2010, 1:21:31 PM1/7/10
to WomeninMath
I've been adding wikipedia articles for each Noether lecturer and I
would like to encourage others to help with the project. The key idea
is to create a professional mathematical wikipedia entry similar to
the descriptions of male mathematicians. One problem I view with
articles on women mathematicians published elsewhere is they focus too
much on being a woman (family, early life etc). My view is this is a
mathematician who is a woman.

To create a wikipedia article you can find the basic information about
the Noether lecturer from the Noether brochure and her vita/webpage.
Then, as a mathematician, you can build on this by going over the
mathscinet reviews and selecting articles to highlight giving a little
more mathematical detail about the work and linking to the wikipedia
articles on those subjects. This step requires the action of a
mathematician in the Noether lecturer's field who can read and
sumerize mathscinet reviews.

I am happy to do the actual posting of the article if you send me a
few paragraphs describing the work and a cut and paste of the
mathscinet refs to the key articles. If you are a Noether lecturer
yourself, I would love your own description of your work and favorite
articles. If you are a Noether lecturer who already has a wikipedia
entry and would like to add to it, remember anyone may do so.
Creating a page is a little harder.

ChristinaSormani

Jan 7, 2010, 1:25:35 PM1/7/10
to WomeninMath
If you know someone who might be able to write a wikipedia article for
a Noether article, just send me their name and contact info and I can
contact them directly.

Joan Birman

Jan 8, 2010, 11:57:59 AM1/8/10
to WomeninMath
Dear Christina,

My son had told me about the Wikipedia entry for me, and the open request
for someone (anyone) to fill it in -- he said the page was there,
but blank. I had (vaguely) had it in mind for a rainy-day project, but
it felt self-serving and tiresome, because there were so many other
articles.

But you are right, too many of the articles about women in math
focus on woman's issues. Writing about the mathematics that has
taken so much of my attention all these years will be fun and
interesting. I will try hard to get to it soon, and appreciate your
offer to help with the actual posting.

You are doing a very useful thing, in the right way.

Best,
Joan Birman