Distinguished Professors

ChristinaSormani

Aug 31, 2010, 2:25:54 PM8/31/10
to WomeninMath
At my college there are no women distinguished professors. The wall
near the cafeteria is a display of photos of distinguished male
colleagues. Meanwhile we have a woman AAAS fellow and a Noether
Lecturer and other quality women faculty who are dedicating their
careers to the college.

The provost has been trying to get women considered for such a
position and yet ultimately it is in the hands of the departments and
a committee of existing distinguished professors. There seems to be a
restrictive notion as to what a distinguished professor is: someone we
are trying to attract or trying to retain. I've written the following
letter to my provost. If you are at a similar institution you might
try a similar letter. If your institution does successfully have
women distinguished faculty, perhaps you could post the definition and
process your institution uses to determine the rank in this
discussion.

Dear Provost -------,

At many institutions, a distinguished professor (or Silver Professor
or Professor II) is a professor who has done such spectacular research
after reaching the rank of full professor as to deserve such a
distinction. It becomes motivation for faculty to continue their
research well into their senior years. It is thus given as a lifetime
achievement to a senior professor. It costs very little as it only
provides a higher salary and lower teaching load towards the end of
ones career.

An alternate form of distinguished professor is reserved only to keep
faculty that are being enticed away or to entice top quality
researchers to come to ------- College. I've been told by some that
this alternate form is what a distinguished professor means at
-------- College. I would venture to say this second form of
distinguished professorship is borderline inappropriate. Faculty who
are tied to NYC by spouses or are older will then never be rewarded
for their research. When distinguished professors are awarded to new
faculty without advertising such a position is available, again
deserving people may be missing the opportunity. I can think of a few
professors in the area who might apply for advertised distinguished
positions that wouldn't otherwise apply to ------ College due to our
teaching load.

I think we have an opportunity for ---------- College to make an
official statement clarifying the definition of a distinguished
professor. Such a clarification may be necessary to enable serious
consideration of faculty within ------- for such a position. It may
not have an immediate effect but could lead to a significant change in
faculty motivation over the years to come.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
---------- College