Announcements and FW: Action Alert on Ratification of the START Treaty

Martin, Charlotte

Feb 19, 2010, 3:58:29 PM2/19/10
to womenfor...@googlegroups.com
General Membership Meeting
Tuesday, February 23 7pm
Mount Mercy College
Busse Library Viewing Room (lower level)
We'll begin with about an hour's worth of scenes from "The Weather
Underground, ... a 2002 documentary film based on the rise and fall of
the American radical organization The Weathermen. The group's goal was
to 'bring the (Vietnam) War home' through acts of militant tactics. ...
Using archival footage from the 1960s and 1970s, the film also
intersperses recent interviews with high profile ex-Weathermen like
Bernardine Dohrn, David Gilbert, Bill Ayers, Mark Rudd and Brian
Flanagan, who talk about their involvement in the organization, their
experiences, and the trajectory that led them to be placed on the FBI's
Most Wanted list" (wikipedia). This movie raises the question of 1) what
to do when peaceful means of effecting social change or justice simply
do not seem to be working and 2) how the personal character of the
social agitators relates to their level of success.
Business meeting to discuss future events and Mall Walkers for Peace
(T-Shirts) will follow.

+ + +

The Alternative Reading Group meets Feb 24 7pm to discuss chapter 1 of
_Justice_ by Michael Sandel. Meeting place is tbd.
Contact Dr. Bob Shultes at dr_pa...@mchsi.com .

+ + +

WFPI Book Discussion Group
Tuesday, March 2nd 7pm at the home of Marilyn Langhurst
March's book: _The Help_ by Katherine Stockett
Please contact Diane <fdolsen[at]mchsi.com> for more information.

+ + +

Potluck dinner and movie (tbd)
March 12th
Paul Engle Center, 1600 4th Ave SE
Potluck at 6:30, movie at 8pm

+ + +

Our contact information is at www.womenforpeace-iowa.org/contact_us.htm
(Thanks Franklin!)

+ + +

As ever, I appeal to you to join us downtown on Fridays, 4:30pm, for an
hour or as much time as you can spare, to encourage others to take
seriously their own misgivings about these dreadful wars and the costly
neglect of the needy people from whom the military-industrial complex
continues to steal resources and hope. First and First on the east side
of the river.
Dress very warm and bring a sign or hold one of ours!

+ + +

And please consider the following:

Mar 6, 2010, 11:57:55 PM3/6/10
to womenfor...@googlegroups.com
Spring is springing! Yay. Blessings for all preparing for holy days and all celebrating warmer, longer days. Please plan to join us at these upcoming great events and activities.

+ + +

T-Shirts for Mall Walking
Check it out:
http://talkbacktees.com/pages/08-103.html
(Black shirt, "Out of Iraq and Afghanistan Now" in Apple Green)
When we order 5 or more, shipping is free, so we want to order together. Each is $11.99, $13.99 for XX.
Contact Cole Christy at jparri...@yahoo.com to indicate your desire for a T-shirt (or a set for your family) with size(s) and your promise to pay us when they come (we can help out someone if you can't meet the price).

+ + +

The Alternative Reading Group meets March 11 at 7pm to discuss chapter 2 of _Justice_ by Michael Sandel. Meeting place is the Wendy's Restaurant near Coe College.

Contact Dr. Bob Shultes at dr_pa...@mchsi.com .

+ + +

Potluck dinner and movie, "Rendition:

March 12th
Paul Engle Center, 1600 4th Ave SE
Potluck at 6:30, movie at 8pm

A high-paid, young professional, father and husband, and 20-year resident of the US, Egptian Anwar el Ibrahami on a business trip is asked to come with 2 security guards, overpowered, hooded and chained, and after a brief ( but still reasonably civil) interrogation is to be rendered! His is a story of pain and torture. It's one of several story lines. One follows his wife's attempts to get information. One follows the bureaucrats behind the rendition. Another story deals with the family of the man who leads the interrogation of Anwar el Ibrahimi. Though the more famous actors like Reese Witherspoon (as the distraught pregnant wife) Jake Gyllenhaal (as the CIA rookie forced to watch the interrogation in Northern Africa) and Meryl Streep (as CIA hotshot Corine Whitman), it is really the lesser known actors that carry the story and give it its heart, especially the actor playing the unfortunate Mr, el Ibrahimi (Omar Metwally). Also Israeli actor Yigal Naor was very impressive as the part worried family-man and part extremely cruel chief of torture.
Winner Mill Valley Film Festival Award: Best Narrative Feature
For information, contact:
John Shumaker
Arts Cinema~Free Friday Night Flicks
#247-2612

+ + +

March 19th this year will be a Friday, the day we vigil on the corner of 1st and 1st downtown. March19/20 is the anniversary of the start of the invasion and ongoing violent occupation of Iraq. Seven years of a most outrageously unjustified war that Americans will be paying for in national debt and restraints upon the social safety net for longer than the veterans will live, if such a debt-ridden and morally adrift nation survives that long itself. Of course, the costs in dollars are nothing to the costs in lives, but with 45,000 Americans each year dying who would live if we have a universal health care system, this war is killing far from those hot Iraqi sands.

Please make a special effort to join us on March 19th to protest America's habit of war-making!!! Bring your own sign or hold one of ours. 4:30-5:30, First Avenue and First Street NE, Cedar Rapids. Spread the word!

+ + +

SPEAKER: Paul Street (Iowa City Activist and Author)
"Building the Left in the Age of Obama"
= WFPI General Membership Meeting
Tuesday, March 23 7pm

Mount Mercy College
Busse Library Viewing Room (lower level)

Business meeting to discuss future events including possible movies such as these movies:
- http://investigationofaflame.com/ (Cantonsville 9)
- Franz Jägerstätter - A Man of Conscience DVD - Narrated by Martin Sheen, this documentary chronicles the life of a German Catholic who was killed for his conscientious objection to service in the Nazi army.
- Common Man, Uncommon Vision DVD, Biography of Cesar Chavez, narrated by Martin Sheen. 45 min.

+ + +

BURUNDI SPEAKER: Dr. Alexia Nibona
Tuesday, April 6th, 7:30pm
People's Church (UU), 3rd Av and 6th St SE
A vision of peace as built upon health through reflections on a village ravaged by HIV/AIDS and genocidal violence
Please see attachment for more details.

+ + +

WFPI Book Discussion Group
No April book. See April 6 Speaker above.

Please contact Diane <fdolsen[at]mchsi.com> for more information.

+ + +

Holocaust Memorial Service and Speaker
Sunday, April 11, 7pm
Temple Judah (on Lindsay, off of Bever SE near 34st in Cedar Rapids)
The speaker is Isaac Levendel, author of _Not the Germans Alone: A Son's Search for the Truth of Vichy_. See:
http://www.amazon.com/Not-Germans-Alone-Search-Truth/dp/0810116634/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266378437&sr=1-1
(This is not a Women For Peace event, but it is free and open to the public--and a worthwhile chance to reflect upon "Never Again" even as we know it does recur all too often.)

+ + +

Our contact information is at www.womenforpeace-iowa.org/contact_us.htm
(Thanks Franklin!)

+ + +

As ever, I appeal to you to join us downtown on Fridays, 4:30pm, for an
hour or as much time as you can spare, to encourage others to take
seriously their own misgivings about these dreadful wars and the costly
neglect of the needy people from whom the military-industrial complex
continues to steal resources and hope. First and First on the east side
of the river.

Dress very warm (even though the weather is improving and bring a sign or hold one of ours!

+ + +

Peace!
Charlotte

(My views are not college policy.)

Alexia Nibona--Flyer.pdf

Martin, Charlotte

Mar 22, 2010, 10:49:20 PM3/22/10
to womenfor...@googlegroups.com
Greetings, all. Please join us tomorrow and at any of the other upcoming events you can make. We look forward to seeing you soon!
(Apologies for sending this so close to the last minute.)

+ + +

SPEAKER: Paul Street (Iowa City Activist and Author)
"Building the Left in the Age of Obama"
= WFPI General Membership Meeting
Tuesday, March 23 7pm
Mount Mercy College
Busse Library Viewing Room (lower level)

Join us to consider and discuss: Is any hope for single-payer now dead, hope for peace, hope for campaign finance reform, hope for hope?

Business meeting to discuss future events including possible movies such as these movies:
- http://investigationofaflame.com/ (Cantonsville 9)
- Franz Jägerstätter - A Man of Conscience DVD - Narrated by Martin Sheen, this documentary chronicles the life of a German Catholic who was killed for his conscientious objection to service in the Nazi army.
- Common Man, Uncommon Vision DVD, Biography of Cesar Chavez, narrated by Martin Sheen. 45 min.

- Also, setting dates and times for Mall-Walking.

+ + +

T-Shirts for Mall Walking
An order of T-Shirts has arrived; you can get yours at the meeting if you ordered through Cole. If not, here's the site to serve yourself:

http://talkbacktees.com/pages/08-103.html
(Black shirt, "Out of Iraq and Afghanistan Now" in Apple Green)

Each is $11.99, $13.99 for XX. Shipping is extra unless you order 5 Ts.
Dates and times for gathering to Mall-Walk together in our beautiful shirts tba.

+ + +

The Alternative Reading Group meets March 25 at 7pm to discuss chapters 3 and 4 of _Justice_ by Michael Sandel. Meeting place is the Wendy's Restaurant near Coe College.

Contact Dr. Bob Shultes at dr_pa...@mchsi.com .

+ + +

BURUNDI SPEAKER (correction): Alexandra Douglas, program manager of a grassroots women's clinic in Kamenge, Burundi.

Tuesday, April 6th, 7:30pm

People's Church (UU), 600 3rd Ave SE
"Restoring Health, Hope, and Peace in Burundi."
(WFPI co-sponsoring.)
Child-care Provided.

+ + +

WFPI Book Discussion Group
No April book. See April 6 Speaker above.

Book for May 4: _Bookseller of Kabul_ by Asne Seierftad; location tba.

Please contact Diane <fdolsen[at]mchsi.com> for more information.

+ + +

Holocaust Memorial Service and Speaker
Sunday, April 11, 7pm
Temple Judah (on Lindsay, off of Bever SE near 34st in Cedar Rapids)
The speaker is Isaac Levendel, author of _Not the Germans Alone: A Son's Search for the Truth of Vichy_. See:
http://www.amazon.com/Not-Germans-Alone-Search-Truth/dp/0810116634/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266378437&sr=1-1

(This is not a Women For Peace event, but it is free and open to the public--and a worthwhile chance to reflect upon "Never Again" even as we know that it does recur all too often.)

+ + +

Our contact information is at www.womenforpeace-iowa.org/contact_us.htm
(Thanks Franklin!)

+ + +

As ever, I appeal to you to join us downtown on Fridays, 4:30pm, for an
hour or as much time as you can spare, to encourage others to take
seriously their own misgivings about these dreadful wars and the costly
neglect of the needy people from whom the military-industrial complex
continues to steal resources and hope. First and First on the east side
of the river.

Dress warmer than you would normally for the day's weather (even though
the temperatures are improving) and bring a sign or hold one of ours!

Martin, Charlotte

Apr 11, 2010, 11:01:21 PM4/11/10
to womenfor...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends!

Please join us whenever and wherever you can, and keep peace in your heart while you demand it on the streets.

+ + +

On tax day, April 15th, we are gathering at the downtown post office in Cedar Rapids, at about 4:30 until maybe 6pm. Wear your "Out of Iraq and Afghanistan Now" T-shirt if you have one, or black otherwise. If you want to make a new sign, War Resisters' League says 48% of the federal budget is stolen from human need and devoted to the destructive enterprise of wars past, present and future, and your sign might pertain to that sorry statistic. We may want to be by the stop signs on the way out; last year we were asked not to be in the parking lot in front of the building. This will be a great "high-traffic" opportunity to test out our new T-shirts, so please come!

+ + +

T-Shirts for Mall Walking
An order of T-Shirts has arrived. Here's the site to serve yourself:

http://talkbacktees.com/pages/08-103.html
(Black shirt, "Out of Iraq and Afghanistan Now" in Apple Green)
Each is $11.99, $13.99 for XX. Shipping is extra unless you order 5 Ts.
Dates and times for gathering to Mall-Walk together in our beautiful shirts tba.

+ + +

General Membership Meeting
Tuesday, April 20, 7pm
Busse Library (Viewing Room), Mount Mercy College
No speaker or movie this time; we need to have a working meeting to plan upcoming events, like a speaker or movie for the May General Membership Meeting! Other issues include:
-Mall-Walking: when?
-Counter-recruiting (a box full of brochures from Friends).
-Future Movies, and potluck dates for same.
-Discussion afoot about a state-wide peace conference in autumn.
-Planning for the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
-Anything anyone else mentions (emailed ideas welcome too).

+ + +

Alternative Book Discussion Group
Thursday, April 22nd, 7pm
Wendy's @ 1316 1st Ave NE, Cedar Rapids
(One block north of Coe College)
Topic: _Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do?_ by Michael J. Sandel­, Chapter 6, John Rawls.

Contact Dr. Bob Shultes at dr_pa...@mchsi.com .

+ + +

WFPI Book Discussion Group
Book for May 4: _Bookseller of Kabul_ by Asne Seierftad; location is Liz's home.

Please contact Diane <fdolsen[at]mchsi.com> for more information.

+ + +

Our contact information is at www.womenforpeace-iowa.org/contact_us.htm
(Thanks Franklin!)

+ + +

Please join us downtown on Fridays, 4:30pm, for an
hour or as much time as you can spare; help us to encourage others to take
seriously their own misgivings about these dreadful wars.

Martin, Charlotte

Apr 18, 2010, 10:16:51 PM4/18/10
to womenfor...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends!

I screwed up massively in the previous message, giving the wrong date for our April General Meeting; I should have said the 2th (and there will be a movie, so I was wrong twice; plus I didn't even mention our potluck and movie, though I thought sure I had; sleep deprivation!). We had a great turn out for the tax day event at the post office, with lots of our T-shirts on display too--at least 10 folks reminding the people of the wickedness their taxes dollars are wasted on. Maybe with the weather turning so nice, we'll see more of you folks downtown on Friday too!

+ + +

T-Shirts for Mall Walking
Once again, here's the site to serve yourself:
http://talkbacktees.com/pages/08-103.html
(Black shirt, "Out of Iraq and Afghanistan Now" in Apple Green)
Each is $11.99, $13.99 for XX. Shipping is extra unless you order 5 Ts.
Dates and times for gathering to Mall-Walk together in our beautiful shirts tba.

+ + +

Alternative Book Discussion Group
Thursday, April 22nd, 7pm
Wendy's @ 1316 1st Ave NE, Cedar Rapids
(One block north of Coe College)
Topic: _Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do?_ by Michael J. Sandel­, Chapter 6, John Rawls.
Contact Dr. Bob Shultes at dr_pa...@mchsi.com .

+ + +

Potluck and Movie Night!
"Investigation of a Flame"
Friday, April 23
Paul Engle Center (1600 4th Ave. SE, CR)
6:30pm Potluck (including Cole's Lasagna!!!)
8:00pm Film & Discussion
Free & Open to the Public

"... Our apologies, good friends, for the fracture of good order, the burning of paper instead of children, the angering of the orderlies in the front parlor of the charnel house. We could not, so help us God, do otherwise ... " - From a statement Dan Berrigan read in court during the trial of the Catonsville 9
For more information link to ... www.jonahhouse.org www.investigationofaflame.com

+ + +

General Membership Meeting
Tuesday, April 27, 7pm
Busse Library (Viewing Room), Mount Mercy College
We'll view and discus a 27-minute ACLU movie on the government's surveillance of its own citizens (thanks, John).
We need to have a working meeting to plan upcoming events, like a speaker or movie for the May 25th General Membership Meeting (I'll be out of town)! Other issues include:
-Mall-Walking: when?
-Counter-recruiting (a box full of brochures from Friends).
-Future Movies, and potluck dates for same.
-Discussion afoot about a state-wide peace conference in autumn.
-Planning for the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
-Anything anyone else mentions (emailed ideas welcome too).

+ + +

WFPI Book Discussion Group
Book for May 4: _Bookseller of Kabul_ by Asne Seierftad; location is Liz's home.
Please contact Diane <fdolsen[at]mchsi.com> for more information.

+ + +

Our contact information is at www.womenforpeace-iowa.org/contact_us.htm
(Thanks Franklin!)

+ + +

Please join us downtown on Fridays, 4:30pm, for an hour or as much time as you can spare; help us to encourage others to take seriously their own misgivings about these dreadful wars.
First and First on the east side of the river in CR.
Dress warmer than you would normally for the day's weather if it's at all windy (even though the temperatures are improving greatly) and bring a sign or hold one of ours!

+ + +