My observations about the Tag class

Greg Gleisner

Oct 1, 2013, 12:09:43 AM10/1/13
to wny-tag...@googlegroups.com
         First off, a big thank you for approving for your forum Rusty. :-)  I also want to apologize for the incident in the second heat. I was the immobilized object sitting in turn two at the end of the straight. There was no contact, forced off or anything of the sorts. I was trying to set up for a pass and the timing didn't work out. I got a little too far out and the back end slipped and I couldn't correct in time. My bad.
         It was good to see a full field of Tags out there Sunday. If not for my mistake, I think the day would have been incident free. Everyone that I talked to was real excited about it including Tom, who was the unfortunate driver who had to take the ambulance ride to the city. He just left my shop a few minutes ago, and all he talk about was how much fun he was having yesterday! He can't wait to get back out there. He's a little sore, but nothing serious. It's why we don't skimp on the safety apparel; full suits, helmets, gloves, etc.
         I see there is some on going discussions as to possibly changing the format in which Tag is run. Gary has suggested that the starting order be based on time trials. I am very much opposed to this UNLESS, the second heat is inverted from where you qualify. This is club racing. It is suppose to be the place where you learn your race craft. It's a place where drivers of different levels of experience can compete together and take turns running at both ends of the field. It is what created the buzz in the Tag class Sunday. If you start everybody based on qualifying, fastest in the front, you'll probably have a good chance of a single file race with limited passing just like the rest of the classes at Avon. Boring. I like the randomness of the pill pick. Non predictable. The first two heats, I will admit were a little nervous at the starts because we had some inexperienced drivers starting up front in Todd, Gary M., Leo. These guys did great because they were given the chance to do so. In every racing rulebook that I've read it states that it is the responsibility of over taking driver to complete a safe pass without incident. This doesn't mean totally without contact, But that should be the objective. This is after all, open wheel racing, not NASCAR. No bump and runs or anything of the sorts. The faster more experienced drivers will find a way around. If not, give the new guys a hand. They just got better, deal with it! The bar is now raised.
       My next comment is about the officiating by the stewards in charge. Most of the drivers in the Tag class know everybody and are friends. I suggest that the class take control and self police themselves. There was an incident Sunday where an improper call was made in the tower resulting in one of the drivers being black flagged out of the race. If the stewards in charge suspect a problem, they should come and talk to the Tag drivers and ASK for their opinions. Like I stated before, most of us are all friends. We do this for FUN. Tag is a fast and aggressive class, especially on a tight track like Avon. Incidental contact may occur. We, at least I won't, race in an environment that is follow the leader. Sure mistakes will be made, contact and spins may happen. Club racing is where you are suppose to learn this. And if you should make a mistake, the officials shouldn't come down on you like you committed a double homicide. If a driver is a repeat offender and fails to heed the advice of fellow racers, then alternative actions need to take place. If we can get the officials to work with us in this manner, then I think it should help them understand what is and isn't acceptable. It should relieve them of some of the pressures of having to make the right call. Tag is a fast, aggressive, class. Nobody racing it at Avon is going to NASCAR, Indy car, or F1. We do it because it's FUN.
       It was good to have a couple of extra laps added on as well. The more laps helps settle down some of the desperate anxiety of those drivers starting in the back. If they know there are a sufficient number of laps, perhaps desperate, ill advised moves won't be made. Maybe.
       I have some opinions for improvements in regards to the track as well, but I will put them in another comment section. This is my second attempt to post on Google and I hope it goes through. I can build my own kart, but can't figure how to type a couple of paragraphs on Google. Go figure!    Greg

Gary Peterson

Oct 1, 2013, 5:48:57 AM10/1/13
to Greg Gleisner, wny-tag...@googlegroups.com
I like the self policing.  It should allow us to race.  Inverting is OK IMO as long as we qualify for heat 1.  That way if a new driver shows up he will have a low pressure first heat starting in back.  If he is way off the pace, the suggestion can be made to have him start in rear for the second heat as well.  I think most new drivers would invite that and probably volunteer.  And when they line up in heat 2 directly behind the faster guys it would be a great learning experience for them.

But Gary M is no longer a rookie so he starts where he starts.  And the self policing cannot use side pod rubber as evidence.  Gumby coated his in Teflon.

Oct 1, 2013, 9:30:37 AM10/1/13
to Callahan, Shawn R, Greg Gleisner, wny-tag...@googlegroups.com

I’ll join GVKC just so I can vote.  Where do I send my money?   But I’m still undecided.  Think about that next time you are ahead of me going into the last lap of a race, Callahan.

I still  think some level of qualifying for the first heat would save a lot headaches.  Invert for heat 2 is cool.  How about the final practice becomes qualifying?  Don’t put us out one at a time, just record the final practice lap times and use those.  Sure, there may be issues with getting clean laps now and then but it gets the field somewhat sorted for the first heat.  I race better than I qualify so I’ll always have guys in front of me to spin, uh, pass.

Gary McFarland

Oct 1, 2013, 6:07:06 PM10/1/13
to Peterson, GaryR, Callahan, Shawn R, Greg Gleisner, wny-tag...@googlegroups.com
 The next time u boys see my kart it will have diamond plate on it and look like it came out of a
"Mad Maxx" movie !

Sent from my iPhone

Gary McFarland

Oct 1, 2013, 6:34:27 PM10/1/13
to Peterson, GaryR, Callahan, Shawn R, Greg Gleisner, wny-tag...@googlegroups.com
Hey GG" hit reply to all. :) I think I was the only one to get ur email.

Sent from my iPhone

Derek Six

Oct 1, 2013, 8:47:09 PM10/1/13
to Gary McFarland, Peterson, GaryR, Callahan, Shawn R, Greg Gleisner, wny-tag...@googlegroups.com
Date on the next race yet where we all can make it?

Thanks,

Derek Six
Systems Engineer

Sent from my iPhone

Gary McFarland

Oct 1, 2013, 8:50:57 PM10/1/13
to Derek Six, Peterson, GaryR, Callahan, Shawn R, Greg Gleisner, wny-tag...@googlegroups.com
My bud Mark may try his first race on Sunday ??? I may be in too ?

Sent from my iPhone

Peterson, GaryR

Oct 1, 2013, 9:20:47 PM10/1/13
to laxg...@gmail.com, mcfar...@yahoo.com, shawn.r....@jpmorgan.com, greggl...@yahoo.com, wny-tag...@googlegroups.com
No karts this weekend. BMW car club both days.

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

Todd

Oct 1, 2013, 9:40:56 PM10/1/13
to Derek Six, Gary McFarland, Peterson, GaryR, Callahan, Shawn R, Greg Gleisner, wny-tag...@googlegroups.com
Not sure D6. Starting to pull boats out at the Marina this week.  I'm getting busy again. Would like to get out with everybody one more time.

Sent from Todd Clic's iPhone

Gary McFarland

Oct 2, 2013, 6:55:34 AM10/2/13
to Todd, Derek Six, Peterson, GaryR, Callahan, Shawn R, Greg Gleisner, wny-tag...@googlegroups.com