pypgfplots : numpy/pandas to pgfplots

Dilawar Singh

Sep 12, 2017, 2:32:20 AM9/12/17
to Web and Coding Club IIT Bombay
PGFPLOTS is a TikZ/TeX based plotting library (you code the figure). Its a wonderful piece of work based on formidable TiKZ/PGF library -- a good alternative to METAPOST. Be warned - like vim editor, Gentoo OS, Haskell/LISP, TeX - its is not for faint heart. For Pythonic people, the best alternative is still matplotlib. It now has a backed to write plots directly to TiKZ, but it does not give 'freedom' to modify much.

The beauty of pgfplots (or any TikZ/PGF based drawing program) is that the font in the figure remains the same as of the article. Same figure can be compiled with any type of TeX document (poster or article) and fonts scales appropriately.

PyPGFPLOTS (https://dilawar.github.io/pypgfplots/) is python library which can generate limited type of pgfplots. It is work in progress. I use  mostly to typeset figures for my thesis/labnotes. The large data is best manipulated in python and plots are written to tex using this library. The data remains inline in generate plot in plain text format. The plot can be added to git/svn repo.

Its make life bit easier for standard plots. Any feature request, bug report etc, can be added to github repository (https://github.com/dilawar/pypgfplots).