[WnCC] Data Vis: Box Plot

Kumar Ayush

Jan 2, 2018, 11:12:31 PM1/2/18
to Sandesh Kalantre, wncc...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I learnt this data vis. yesterday:
http://www.physics.csbsju.edu/stats/box2.html

This is good for vis. of hypothesis testing, better than quoting p-values in my opinion. I saw this post on Reddit yesterday:

https://i.redd.it/u6veu02ful701.png

This claimed that countries with the word "Democratic" in their name are less democratic by some quantitative definition of democracy.
In response, someone claimed that the result is not significant when performing the t-test, and the p-value is 0.062. He then gave the following plot:
https://i.imgur.com/RO0nQSH.png
The upper and lower edges of the boxes are Q1 and Q3, the solid horizontal line is the median. If Q1 is greater than the median of the other, or Q3 is lower than the median of the other, then the hypothesis that the means match is likely not true.

This is supposedly a common data vis technique, but I found it interesting to share.

Regards
Ayush