[WnCC] Is it not possible to connect to a particular port outside IITB?

Sourabh Bhat

Apr 6, 2015, 6:05:54 AM4/6/15
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am trying to use MOSS for checking plagarism in codes (for TA work). MOSS is a software for comparing programs and reporting any similarities. They have provided a script for this which connects to port 7690 on moss.stanford.edu for using their service.

When I run the script after logging in through "internet.iitb.ac.in" it says "Connection timed out".

I have checked that I am able to connect to port 80 on the server, however I am unable to connect to port 7690. Is there any workaround to use the port 7690 on moss.stanford.edu from inside IITB?

--
Best Regards,
-- Sourabh

Sidharth Prasad

Apr 6, 2015, 8:32:03 AM4/6/15
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure that that the Stanford server is listening to the port '7690' ? As in, is that the current port number in use or have they changed it to something else? Because if you're able to connect to one port, then the others shouldn't really be a problem.

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

Sidharth Prasad | Third Year Undergraduate | Department of Electrical Engineering | IIT Bombay

Pratyush Nalam

Apr 6, 2015, 8:32:03 AM4/6/15
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Only 80, 443 and 22 are open. You have to probably do some tunnelling.

Kumar Ayush

Apr 6, 2015, 8:32:04 AM4/6/15
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

Other than proxy or VPN to an external server, none that I am aware of.

Abhijit Tomar

Apr 6, 2015, 8:32:05 AM4/6/15
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

Yes, internet.iitb does not allow you to connect to any port other than 80 or 443.

Solutions-
1) Use a browser extension like zenmate.
2) Use a public VPN service or proxy server.
3) If you have access to your home pc route your internet traffic through it using a SOCKS proxy and enjoy unrestricted internet.

Sashank gondala

Apr 6, 2015, 8:32:04 AM4/6/15
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Asking students help to check the plagiarism committed by students :O :P

Dilawar Singh

Apr 6, 2015, 8:32:05 AM4/6/15
to wncc_iitb
It never worked for me, so I wrote my own. I've used to for two years with great success.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/code-sniffer/0.9.8

Check the project page and let me know if it does not work. Unzip the downloaded assignment in one directory and let the 'sniffer' know its path by changing the appropriate variable in its config file `.config/sniffer/snifferrc`.

If you need any support, drop me an email.

best,

    Dilawar

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Sourabh Bhat <heyso...@gmail.com> wrote:

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

Dilawar
NCBS Bangalore

Sourabh Bhat

Apr 7, 2015, 12:16:54 AM4/7/15
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys for the info! I will try whichever is feasible for me.

@Sashank: LOL, I did not think about that!

@Sidharth: Yes, I am sure about the port as it is mentioned in their perl script.

@Dilawar: I very quickly went through your program's documentation, I particularly liked the visualization which your have shown on github. Does your code check for variable renaming? I am sure that most students will do variable renaming before submission.

Thanks,
Sourabh Bhat

Best Regards,
-- Sourabh

Dilawar Singh

Apr 7, 2015, 12:50:57 AM4/7/15
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
>@Dilawar: I very quickly went through your program's documentation, I
>particularly liked the visualization which your have shown on github. Does
>your code check for variable renaming? I am sure that most students will do
>variable renaming before submission.

It was designed to catch three types of plagiarism:

a) Replacing keywords.
b) Moving the block of code up and down.
c) Adding random junk in between but the working code remains the same.

All three will be detected. For more sophisticated type of plagiarism, it can
flag the file which you have to check manually. There will be no false-positive,
sometimes it can be bit lenient in "convicting" people. You will also have a
list of "accused". You have to go through this list and check for yourself using
vimdiff or some other diff utility.

best,
Dilawar

kapil yadav

Apr 7, 2015, 2:13:50 AM4/7/15
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
try proxifier software. It can redirect packets sent on other ports to available ports.

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/