What is LiFi?

Pradyot Prakash

Feb 12, 2016, 3:25:37 PM2/12/16
to Web and Coding Club IIT Bombay

The most awaited TL Talk by Prof. Harald Haas of University of Edinburgh is here. Everyone is cordially invited.

Title: What is Li-Fi?

Speaker: Prof. Harald Haas
Chair of Mobile Communications, University of Edinburgh
Co-founder and Chief Scientific Officer, PureLiFi Ltd.
Director, LiFi Research and Development Center, University of Edinburgh

Abstract:
We will start by clarifying the differences between visible light communications (VLC) and LiFi. This is followed by the introduction of the key building blocks required to create full LiFi networks. Next we report recent key achievements with respect to component and demonstrator developments underpinning LiFi attocellular networks. We provide modelling results of such networks and address numerous misconceptions such as "LiFi is a line-of-sight technology". The talk also addresses the issue of energy efficiency of optical attocell networks and showcases how off-the-shelf solar panels can fulfill two functions at the same time, i) energy harvesting and ii) LiFi data detection. The talk closes by summarising commercialization challenges.

Refer to the TED for more details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaoSp4NpkGg

When? Where?
14th February 6:30 PM
VMCC Main Auditorium