Weekly Newsletter 3/9/2017

sahil shah

Sep 3, 2017, 5:39:19 AM9/3/17
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys!

This week marked the formal launch of the GSoC Incubation Cell. For the uninitiated, this is one of WnCC's latest initiatives to increase the participation of our institute in Google's Summer of Code. It aims at providing mentorship to students aspiring to participate in GSoC '18 by putting them in touch with past GSoCer's. As a part of this campaign, the club has been conducting a series of hands-on sessions to arm aspirants with all the requisite knowledge and skills.
This week, we had a session on git, the cornerstone on which the entire open-source world is built. This was the second session in the series and the next session (on GitHub) will be held shortly after the midsems. Here are a few clicks from the session:

Inline image 2

Inline image 1

We also had our first "informal session" this week, where members of the club interact with interested Freshmen and orient them to the world of coding and the activities of the club.

In other news, Reddit's main code no longer remains open source after they archive all their major repositories. You can read more about that here.

Now, we all know about hackers trying to hack into serves, laptops and mobile phones. However, with the explosion of connected devices, hackers can now literally control the hearts of those who need pacemakers. The tiny wireless device keeping you alive can be hacked into and controlled by someone else! You can read more about this scary angle of hacking here. This article talks about how the US government recently ordered close to half a million people to visit their doctors to "update" their pacemakers.

To end on a lighter note, here are a couple of memes:

Inline image 4

Inline image 3

Cheers (and happy mugging!)
WnCC IITB.

Videsh Suman

Sep 3, 2017, 6:37:13 AM9/3/17
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Good going people! And don't discontinue this newsletter thing ever! It's okay to skip a week or two. However, you dare discontinue this thing. :)