Encoding in VP9 (WinFF 1.5.3 on Linux Mint)

Gerry

Jun 28, 2016, 4:25:11 PM6/28/16
to WinFF
I'm using WinFF 1.5.3 on Linux

Fantastic program, kudos to the developers!
The one improvement i would recommend is that when you select "Google" under "Convert To"
The list of presets should include "Android 5.0+ VP9".
Currently, the existing presets seem to encode in VP8.

I know to avoid WinFF encoding in VP8
I can go in and add the command line parameters to
"-f webm -aspect 3:2 -vcodec libvpx-vp9 -filter:v scale=w=480:h=320 -r 13 -g 120 -level 216 -profile:v 0 -qmax 42 -qmin 10 -rc_buf_aggressivity 0.95 -vb 480k -acodec libvorbis -b:a 96000 -aq 90 -ac 2"
but when WinFF/FFMPEG can encode in VP9, it seems a shame not to have it as default as an automatic preset under Google.
(Also, I should i should be using OPUS not VORBIS as an audio codec, but that option was not there for me I don't think)

Thanks

Ian Stoffberg

Jun 28, 2016, 4:56:23 PM6/28/16
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you go into the presets editor, you can modify the existing preset and save it as a new VP9 preset.

You an then export the preset into a .wff file which you can attach and send to this group.

In that way we can all check out your preset with a single-click ;)

Maybe it becomes a default.

Cheers

Gerry

Jun 29, 2016, 5:54:28 PM6/29/16
to WinFF
Apologies, I've just got around to doing this now,
I wanted to double check that it was working for me.

I had tried a number of settings,
but in the end just went with the suggestion on the Wiki (http://wiki.webmproject.org/ffmpeg/vp9-encoding-guide)
because i don't want to be suggesting something that might conflict with best practice.

Many Thanks
gerry
googlewebm.wff

Gerry

Jul 3, 2016, 7:09:16 PM7/3/16
to WinFF
actually that previous file seems to have omitted the hyphen before "c:v"

attached is the corrected preset file

Thanks
gerry
googlewebm.wff

Ian Stoffberg

Jul 4, 2016, 4:05:43 AM7/4/16
to wi...@googlegroups.com
In my case I've decided to keep the old preset and rename your's to be a newer one.  Keeping both ;)

Thanks for creating it!