Codec Copy preset for MP4?

Allen S

Jan 7, 2015, 10:05:55 AM1/7/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
I was converting a number of MKV and AVI files to the MP4 container, but I wasn't sure which ones were already 720p or 1080p, and I didn't want to have to touch each file to figure that out.  The bad part was, though, that I could either select one of the HD presets in WinFF and have it take FOREVER for each file because it was transcoding those, or I could use the MP4 Widescreen preset to reduce the conversion time.

Why isn't there just a "-codec copy" preset like what exists in both ffmpeg and avconv?  Is it because that's only limited to MKV and MP4 files?  Or is there something else I'm missing?

Paul Gevers

Jan 7, 2015, 1:42:43 PM1/7/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
On 07-01-15 16:05, Allen S wrote:
> Why isn't there just a "-codec copy" preset like what exists in both
> ffmpeg and avconv? Is it because that's only limited to MKV and MP4
> files? Or is there something else I'm missing?

You can easily make one, but indeed, you need to specify the target
container and not everything can go into the container you want. So if
you know what you have and what you want, just creating a -copy preset
is the way to go. I have them myself as well. But as they are less fool
proof then most presets they are not in winff.

Paul

signature.asc

Francois_C

Jan 8, 2015, 8:40:20 AM1/8/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allen!

As Paul puts it, one of the great features of WinFF is the possibility of creating new customized presets.

But I see so many crapwares on the Internet, which are SOLD whilst WinFF is free and lots better, that I think we wust help everybody asking for presets ;)

Here is the preset I use for MP4 (of course, anything cannot fit any container) :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<presets>
  <MP4Mux>
    <label>Mux to MP4</label>
    <params>-vcodec copy -acodec copy</params>
    <extension>mp4</extension>
    <category>MPEG-4</category>
  </MP4Mux>
</presets>

MKV:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<presets>
  <MKVMux>
    <label>Mux to MKV</label>
    <params>-vcodec copy -acodec copy</params>
    <extension>mkv</extension>
    <category>MPEG-4</category>
  </MKVMux>
</presets>

TS:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<presets>
  <TSMux>
    <label>Mux to ts</label>
    <params>-vcodec copy -acodec copy</params>
    <extension>ts</extension>
    <category>MPEG-4</category>
  </TSMux>
</presets>

Cheers,

François.

Francois_C

Jan 8, 2015, 1:27:08 PM1/8/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com, pa...@climbing.nl
BTW, Paul, I often use this concatenation command with FFmpeg, especially when the files are not properly saved by dropping them into Avidemux then saving them:

ffmpeg -i input1.mp4 -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts intermediate1.ts
ffmpeg -i input2.mp4 -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts intermediate2.ts
ffmpeg -i "concat:intermediate1.ts|intermediate2.ts" -c copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc output.mp4

Two MP4 files are converted to intermediate ts files without encoding, then concatenated and reverted to MP4, because only MPEG PS and MPEG TS can be joined this way.

I think it could be useful, e.g. for people who take videos with their photo cameras and never watch them because they are too short (that is, most people taking videos with their P&S), but think they do not deserve a complete video editing with titles and so on.
Could you allow two or several files to be processed together into one stream? It could also be used for remuxing with a modified sound track

BiggMatt

Jan 8, 2015, 1:39:02 PM1/8/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
I thought about doing the concatenation in winff, but we had trouble with multiple presets in the filelist. In order to do concat we would have to move files up and down in the list. The lazarus list box is clumsy.

Gadien Chapman

Feb 28, 2015, 7:25:08 PM2/28/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com, pa...@climbing.nl
Thanks Francois_C, I was begining to worry how might winff be capable of doing such a simple task.