User name with special character ü seems to cause error

Wolfgang Mueller

Apr 11, 2016, 9:31:06 AM4/11/16
to WinFF
Hello,
when I start WinFF I get the following error:

The user name is müller - a very common name in germany. It seems to me, that WinFF gets an error because of the charcter ü. How can I solve this problem?
Thanx for answers.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Francois_C

Apr 12, 2016, 9:45:15 AM4/12/16
to WinFF
Lazarus/FPC (the IDE and compiler Lazarus is build with) are natively compatible with UTF-8 since version 1.6 of Lazarus and 3.0 of FPC. Maybe the next version of WinFF will be able to handle such filenames soon.

As for me, several years ago, I had to change my user name (François, which is very common also in France for a “Français”;) on Windows. Filenames or paths with “umlauts”, accents or cedillas are not compatible either, and WinFF sends command lines to FFmpeg, which does not simplify the problem. UTF8 implementation has been very troublesome on Lazarus for years, and I hope Matt will now be able to build an UTF-8 compatible WinFF with the new UTF-8 Lazarus…

BiggMatt

Apr 12, 2016, 10:00:46 AM4/12/16
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Mostly likely not, but i just rebuilt the windows installer with the latest lazarus. It may work as is. I think i have to replace some libraries with others

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Francois_C <fraco...@gmail.com> wrote:
Lazarus/FPC (the IDE and compiler Lazarus is build with) are natively compatible with UTF-8 since version 1.6 of Lazarus and 3.0 of FPC. Maybe the next version of WinFF will be able to handle such filenames soon.

As for me, several years ago, I had to change my user name (François, which is very common also in France for a “Français”;) on Windows. Filenames or paths with “umlauts”, accents or cedillas are not compatible either, and WinFF sends command lines to FFmpeg, which does not simplify the problem. UTF8 implementation has been very troublesome on Lazarus for years, and I hope Matt will now be able to build an UTF-8 compatible WinFF with the new UTF-8 Lazarus…

BiggMatt

Apr 12, 2016, 10:01:25 AM4/12/16
to wi...@googlegroups.com
It is available as the latest windows version on the downloads page

Francois_C

Apr 14, 2016, 4:47:30 AM4/14/16
to WinFF, ma...@biggmatt.com

I'll try the new build. I rebuilt the binary with Lazarus 1.6, but it could not handle utf-8 files either. I'm not sure the sources I use are exactly the latest ones. Where can they be downloaded?
But I wrote some small apps from scratch with Lazarus 1.6 and I had no utf-8 issues. I suppose the source code must be written in utf-8…

BiggMatt

Apr 14, 2016, 10:28:29 AM4/14/16
to wi...@googlegroups.com

i am also writing a video thumbnailer and when i used functions from winff, it said they were obsolete and to use the newer packages. Like i had to change "fileutils​" in uses clause to "laz_fileutils"