WinFF doesn't work properly when user name has non-latin characters

Σωτήρης Παπακωνσταντίνου

Mar 20, 2016, 7:09:42 AM3/20/16
to WinFF
Hello!

I amnot sure if you know of this bug already, but I have a problem with WinFF in my main Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computer. Since I live in Greece, I created a user account with Greek characters. When I attempt to launch WinFF wither normally or as Administrator, I get the following error:

If I just ignore it and click OK to continue, WinFF loads but then it gives another similar error. I didn't try to use it just in case something goes wrong and I lose data.

In my second Windows 10 64-bit computer, I have created a user "Technician" that contains only latin characters and WinFF runs as expected, no warnings, no errors. Pity my second computer is slower than my main computer. I would like to use WinFF in my faster computer. Is there any way to change the default path for the cfg.xml and other files so I avoid the path with non-latin characters? Or is there any patch/fix to use WinFF with non-latin path and file names? Obviously I could just create a new account with latin characters and use it from there, but I would prefer to avoid this inconvenience and use it with my original non-latin account.

In case that it matters, both computers run Windows 10 Pro 64-bit English US. I wouldn't like to imagine how many more issues I would have if one of them was running the Greek version...

Thank you in Advance.

BiggMatt

Mar 20, 2016, 9:40:59 AM3/20/16
to wi...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure. I thought that was fixed a long time ago. At least it worked for Cyrillic and Chinese. I'll see what i can figure out.

0 viruses found. www.avast.com

Francois_C

Mar 21, 2016, 8:52:50 AM3/21/16
to WinFF, ma...@biggmatt.com
I remember I had such an issue with my French user name, which was "François" years ago. I definitely gave up the cedilla on all my computers…
Since version 1.6, Lazarus uses FPC 3.0, which seems to handle UTF-8 properly. This is a good opportunity for improving UTF-8 support on WinFF…
BTW, functions like SysToUtf8 or ExtractFileNameOnly are now considered deprecated;)

BiggMatt

Mar 21, 2016, 9:35:14 AM3/21/16
to wi...@googlegroups.com
I haven't checked out lazarus 3.0 but i will

Francois_C

Mar 22, 2016, 8:26:28 AM3/22/16
to WinFF, ma...@biggmatt.com
It works great. I have been using it for several weeks without an issue – except for the warnings about my deprecated utf8 functions.
I tried compiled WinFF with it, and it works, but this does not fix the UTF8 file paths issues of course. The specific question with WinFF is passing Unicode filenames to FFMpeg.
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=22403.15

Герман Борисов

May 24, 2016, 8:03:03 AM5/24/16
to WinFF, ma...@biggmatt.com
I have the same issue.
Windows 10 x64 Russian character set (Cyrillic). Tested on portable version X-WinFF_1.5.4_rev6

321456 327856

Jan 11, 2018, 3:41:20 AM1/11/18
to WinFF
Hello, when your source (and or probably destination) folder on WIndows 10 contain czech language abbreviated characters like: ěščřžýáíé , then the program will not convert file and say No such file or directory

BiggMatt

Jan 11, 2018, 3:45:41 AM1/11/18
to wi...@googlegroups.com
yes it has problems with international characters. Still haven't figured out to make the shell accept them.

Paul Gevers

Jan 11, 2018, 2:09:32 PM1/11/18
to wi...@googlegroups.com
How about this one?

https://github.com/WinFF/winff/pull/235

Paul

On 11-01-18 09:45, BiggMatt wrote:
> yes it has problems with international characters. Still haven't figured
> out to make the shell accept them.
>
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 2:41 AM, 321456 327856 <czaut...@gmail.com
> <mailto:czaut...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello, when your source (and or probably destination) folder on
> WIndows 10 contain czech language abbreviated characters like:
> ěščřžýáíé , then the program will not convert file and say No such
> file or directory
>
> Dne neděle 20. března 2016 14:40:59 UTC+1 BiggMatt napsal(a):
>
> I'm not sure. I thought that was fixed a long time ago. At least
> it worked for Cyrillic and Chinese. I'll see what i can figure out.
>

> --
>

> --
signature.asc