WinFF Fails on Two Computers at the Same Time

Peter Skinner

Jan 6, 2016, 8:33:25 PM1/6/16
to WinFF
Hi

I have two Linux computers..

uBuntu Studio and Linux lite

When I went to convert some files  on my uBuntu Studio I got this message

Fixed with Restore Defaults

ON my Linux lite computer I got this error  Unknown encoder 'libvo_aacenc'

Fixed with sudo apt-get update  first then sudo apt-get install libavcodec-extra-54

It seems odd that this happened at the same time.

Is this due to the update process of Linix lite and ubuntu as they have a common core I think.

Also WinFF needs FFmpeg and this is not supported in Ubuntu any more and I cannot download it with sudo apt-get install ffmpeg. I am worried my WinFF will not run in my Linux boxes in the future as I really need WinFF how can I keep WinFF stable?

Thank you

Paul Gevers

Jan 8, 2016, 7:07:09 AM1/8/16
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Hi

On 07-01-16 02:33, Peter Skinner wrote:
> When I went to convert some files on my uBuntu Studio I got this message

<< Could not find either ffmpeg or avconv.

> Fixed with Restore Defaults

Good.

> ON my Linux lite computer I got this error Unknown encoder 'libvo_aacenc'
>
> Fixed with sudo apt-get update first then sudo apt-get install
> libavcodec-extra-54

This is the correct solution.

> It seems odd that this happened at the same time.

Coincidence.

> Is this due to the update process of Linix lite and ubuntu as they have
> a common core I think.
>
> Also WinFF needs FFmpeg and this is not supported in Ubuntu any more

About which version of Ubuntu are you talking? Debian (and thus Ubuntu)
is moving BACK to ffmpeg. But from WinFF perpective, both FFmpeg and
avconv are equal.

> and
> I cannot download it with sudo apt-get install ffmpeg. I am worried my
> WinFF will not run in my Linux boxes in the future as I really need
> WinFF how can I keep WinFF stable?

What kind of old Ubuntu are you running? 15.04, 15.10 and the current
development all have ffmpeg¹. And sorry, your last question is too open.
The answer can be something like: regular upgrade to newer Ubuntu
versions, after upgrade hitting "Restore Defaults" and NOT using other
repositories other than the officially supported ones.

Paul

¹ https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ffmpeg

signature.asc