Simple preset to increase volume by 10db without re-encoding

Bob Carroll

Aug 6, 2015, 8:02:36 AM8/6/15
to WinFF
I often rely on gathering YouTube tech reviews for some of my documentation.

Unfortunately, sometimes a good tech review is spoiled by almost inaudible YouTube sound levels.

I have started downloading them and fixing the volume and then re-uploading them (with credit to original source).

Here is the simple WinFF preset I made. Although I use it with MP4 files, it should also work with other formats.

-vcodec copy -af "volume=10dB" -async 1 -y

Examples:

Ian Stoffberg

Aug 6, 2015, 8:46:14 AM8/6/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
That's pretty impressive.

Francois_C

Aug 7, 2015, 12:54:15 PM8/7/15
to WinFF
I did not know FFmpeg allowed increasing volume without re-encoding: I adopt your preset immediately. Many videos have AC3 5.1 soundtracks, with generally little real benefit indeed, and causing the dialogs to have a very low level compared to other sounds, probably because the only mono track dedicated to dialogs is considered 1/6 th of the global level, and I often need to increase the volume. Sometimes it is not enough, and I need to dupicate the dialogs soundtrack into stereo and remix the whole into stereo...

BiggMatt

Aug 7, 2015, 1:09:34 PM8/7/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
that's great

Bob Carroll

Aug 7, 2015, 9:39:12 PM8/7/15
to WinFF
YouTube MP4 downloads use AAC audio so I have never tried the +10db preset with AC-3 audio. Tell us if the preset works with AC-3.

Francois_C

Aug 8, 2015, 11:31:50 AM8/8/15
to WinFF
AAC audio generally is generally more simple and convenient than AC3 or DTS, and seldom suffers from inappropriate decoding in some devices.
I had a try with two MKV samples with AC3 sound. It worked, but I did not try them on my Blu-Ray player which reads AC3 with very low output level. It took 2-3 minutes on an i7 for a 1 Go file, so I'm not quite sure it does not re-encode..
Another interesting but not-so simple command would copy the dialogues mono track to a stereo one or increase the volume on this track only.

Hydro

Mar 10, 2019, 11:51:06 AM3/10/19
to WinFF
very impressive could you include a simple instruction list on how and where to the information to update the programe . thanks so much

BiggMatt

Mar 10, 2019, 2:28:29 PM3/10/19
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

Jacob Holmes

May 13, 2019, 11:50:23 AM5/13/19
to WinFF
On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 12:54:15 PM UTC-4, Francois_C wrote:
I did not know FFmpeg allowed increasing volume without re-encoding: I adopt your preset immediately. Many videos have AC3 5.1 soundtracks, with generally little real benefit indeed, and causing the dialogs to have a very low level compared to other sounds, probably because the only mono track dedicated to dialogs is considered 1/6 th of the global level, and I often need to increase the volume. Sometimes it is not enough, and I need to dupicate the dialogs soundtrack into stereo and remix the whole into stereo...

It does not. The "preset" that the original author posted does in fact re-encode the m4a audio stream.