[BUG] Problems with "Use source folder" checkbox

Ivan Tišljar

Jan 13, 2015, 6:20:10 AM1/13/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Greetings all!

We are using WinFF 1.54 on Windows 7 with custom preset list for encoding 4:3 and 16:9 videos. Often we have to change the presets for video in file list, for example 2 of them will be encoded in 16:9, 3 of them will be encoded in 4:3. When changing presets, we have to press 'Apply changes'... but the checkbox for 'Use source folder' can be clicked by the whole length of window, and it is clickable just above the 'Apply changes' letters, so sometimes videos end up where they shouldn't. Software is used by people who can troubleshoot what happened, but also by people who can't. Is there a possibility to make that checkbox clickable ONLY on that checkbox, so it can't be accidentaly clicked?

That would be all, thank you :)

Francois_C

Jan 14, 2015, 7:46:14 AM1/14/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
I'm using my own customized and rebuilt version of WinFF 1.5.3 on Winodows 7 and Linux, so I'm not the most qualified to provide an answer.
The CheckBox component should not be anchored at right, so its area can be reduced.

Francois_C

Jan 14, 2015, 12:06:55 PM1/14/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
I checked the versions I'm using to the moment, and noticed that the Changes labels are not visible, when compiled with my versions of Lazarus (1.0.14 64 bits Windows and the current Linux 64 version). Seems there is few room on the panels, which are strongly locked together, so I was not able to get a proper location :[

Francois_C

Jan 14, 2015, 12:37:39 PM1/14/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com

Would it be better like this ? I just set the checkbox to AlLeft and copied the Change buttons on the same panel. The sensitive area of the box does not go farther than the text.

Ian Stoffberg

Jan 14, 2015, 4:05:33 PM1/14/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
I'm all in favour for some redesign.  It's not my strongest skill.  I had lots of issues with GTK inconsistencies with regard to the panels and resizing.  Worked fine in Windows and QT, but GTK in previous versions were less robust for me.  Some of a layout is due to this.  If these issues are not really relevant any more due to Lazarus improvements, I think some improvements would be nice.

On 14 January 2015 at 19:37, Francois_C <fraco...@gmail.com> wrote:

Would it be better like this ? I just set the checkbox to AlLeft and copied the Change buttons on the same panel. The sensitive area of the box does not go farther than the text.

Ivan Tišljar

Jan 27, 2015, 11:51:57 AM1/27/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
I am not for that kind of change, I think that 'Use source folder' should be one of the buttons by those two for selecting output folder - [...] [Open] [Source] and then below can be those Cancel Changes, Apply Changes, Apply to All, so the 'source' checkbox can't be clicked by chance. No need to put them all in the same row. It can really stay where it is now, just not to be clickable by the whole row.

Francois_C

Jan 28, 2015, 7:32:04 AM1/28/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
I understand your reasons perfectly, but here are the reasons why I tested this layout:

1. The bottom panel no longer appears on the versions I compile on Windows (7 64-bit with 64-bit Lazarus) and Linux (Ubuntu Studio 14.04 64-bit).
2. I did not succeed in modifying the width of the "use source folder" checkbox, and I went crazy with all the anchors...

Ivan Tišljar

Feb 19, 2015, 3:05:55 AM2/19/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
So, it's the limitation of the programming language/ide/whatever you are making the gui with?
I am not familiar with these, but I'll respect the answer - if it's close to impossible to be made, it's Ok with me.
Thank you.
Message has been deleted

Francois_C

Feb 19, 2015, 1:33:10 PM2/19/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Le jeudi 19 février 2015 09:05:55 UTC+1, Ivan Tišljar a écrit :
So, it's the limitation of the programming language/ide/whatever you are making the gui with?

No it isn't. I built another version of 1.5.4 without problem from the latest sources, according to your requirements, but I'm not a regular contributor of WinFF.

The only problem was that all forms and components are strongly locked to each other, and I had to unlock as few as possible of them: I set the cbOutputPath (output checkbox) to left align only. But I could not adjust the height, which I think is a bit too large without unlocking too many other parts. I suppose the official authors can do it easily.

You can check my attachment. If you want to try this layout, I may send you my binary. It is 900 Kb, compressed with MPress (that is it may be considered a virus by several antiviruses) or 3.5 Mb, if only stripped. Tell me if you prefer 64-bit or 32-bit version.
winff.png

Ian Stoffberg

Feb 19, 2015, 2:14:58 PM2/19/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francois / Ivan

This is a interesting case for me.

I am an official developer, but I rarely use WinFF outside of a few use cases and then again, only rarely.  I would much appreciate your views on how the interface could be improved or what's wrong with the current interface.  I would have a look at Pencil from http://pencil.evolus.vn/

They have a nice GUI design tool for end users.  Unfortunately, using Lazarus we have to create a gui that works on Linux & Windows and therefore sometimes some compromises need to be made.  That being said, I'm not opposed to looking at QT instead of GTK, for example... ;)

I'm not promising anything, but currently I am spending 99% of my free time in Elite Dangerous and learning to play guitar.  If you guys come up with some cool design improvements and Matt/Paul like it, I'd be willing to jump in and make the changes.

Regards,
Ian

Paul Gevers

Feb 19, 2015, 2:26:52 PM2/19/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
On 19-02-15 20:14, Ian Stoffberg wrote:
> That being said,
> I'm not opposed to looking at QT instead of GTK, for example... ;)

In Debian, I already build Winff for both Qt and GTK. No changes needed.
If that helps on Windows, just do it I would say.

Paul

signature.asc

BiggMatt

Feb 20, 2015, 2:19:44 PM2/20/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com
I had a hard time with the panels too. Whatever works

Francois_C

Feb 21, 2015, 7:51:55 AM2/21/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com, ma...@biggmatt.com
Le vendredi 20 février 2015 20:19:44 UTC+1, BiggMatt a écrit :
I had a hard time with the panels too. Whatever works

:-D

This was not so difficult, but unlocking the checkbox causes it to pop up in its parent. Every time it happened, I exited without saving, in order not to unlock more components than necessary. I think I had only to change the anchors of the checkbox to anchor left. But if you wanted the checkbox area to be less high than its parent, I think you had to unlock many other components, and you could get crazy. Rather ironic to see that a vulgar graphic problem can cause as much fuss as a real programming issue.

Francois_C

Feb 21, 2015, 7:59:21 AM2/21/15
to wi...@googlegroups.com, ma...@biggmatt.com
BTW, Matt, this is my own current po file for French. It suits 1.5.4. I just added some strings that were not translated, and modified a couple of the existing ones for technical or brevity reasons.
winff.fr.7z