Using this software to convert files from my iphone

J.D. Kline

Nov 8, 2014, 12:20:26 AM11/8/14
to wi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm attempting to use WinFF to convert files from my iphone4 in Mageia 4 to something that is more usable on the computer.  They are listed as .mov files, and do playback, but there is no sound.  I have tried to use WinFF and VLC and others to convert the files and have gotten error messages suggesting that the error was not something I could fix.  Other messages suggest that I'm missing some plugins or converters that I would need.  Honestly I am no expert and would appreciate any help those of you that understand this could give a complete newbie.  If it matters, I have imported the files to my computers via Shotwell and have preserved the originals of the ones that I truly care about.  Thanks a lot for any help you can give me,
JD

Francois_C

Nov 8, 2014, 7:56:07 AM11/8/14
to wi...@googlegroups.com
In Mageia, I suppose you can easily install MediaInfo (and Mediainfo-gui ; in Ubuntu Studio both are available in regular repositories). So, you can read the properties of the sound track.
What I would try first, also, would be to open the file with MKVMerge GUI and fetch whether an MKV version of the file would work. The remuxing should take only seconds: mov files have generally h264 video and AAC audio.
But, you know, Apple is mainly a money-making machine, and maybe there are some copy protection schemes somewhere.
I would never buy anything from Apple, but I noticed the same with Sony Minidisc audio: PCM files recorded by myself with my own voice and microphones were copy-protected! Then Sony stopped maintaining minidisc. You can never trust people who are motivated by money. Prefer Mageia...