Please INTRODUCE yourself to the group

mackiwg

Oct 3, 2007, 8:01:47 PM10/3/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi everyone, and welcome to WikiPasifika!

My name is Wayne Mackintosh and I'm the founder of WikiEducator. You
can read more about me on my User page on WikiEducator:

http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg

Please take the time to introduce yourself to our group so that we can
get to know each other a little better. Tell us:

* Where you are from
* What you do professionally
* What you expect to gain from this online workshop for
WikiEducator
* Anything which may be of interest to our group

I'm really looking forward to making new friends in the Pacific and
touching base with my old acquaintances.

Chat to you soon.

Patricia Schlicht

Oct 4, 2007, 12:33:57 PM10/4/07
to wikipa...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

My name is Patricia Schlicht and I am Wayne's Programme Assistant. You
can read more about me at http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Pschicht or
at www.col.org/pschlicht

I am originally from Germany and have migrated to Canada 14 years ago of
which I have been at COL for the last past seven years (can't believe it
myself).

The online workshop for basic Wiki editing skills is another great
opportunity to brush up on our skills and the overwhelming positive
response and interest in this opportunity was great to see.

Looking forward to meeting you online.

Warm regards,
Patricia

Patricia Schlicht

Oct 4, 2007, 12:44:33 PM10/4/07
to wikipa...@googlegroups.com
Oops, sorry, one should know how to spell, it is

http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Pschlicht or www.col.org/pschlicht

Cheers,

Susan

Oct 4, 2007, 10:00:39 PM10/4/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi
My name is Susan Cornish and I work for the New South Wales Department
of Education in Australia. I'm a learning designer at the Centre for
Learning Innovation (CLI) and always on the lookout for ways to
combine online technologies with effective learning design.
I've started using wikis for several projects and would like to
develop my skills as well as collaborate with other educators
interested in wikis.
"See" you all soon.
Susan

Missan

Oct 5, 2007, 1:00:37 AM10/5/07
to WikiPasifika
Dear All,
I am Sanjaya Mishra from the Staff Training and Research Institute of
Distance Education (STRIDE) of the Indira Gandhi National Open
University (IGNOU), India ( see http://www.ignou.ac.in). I came to
know of this online training from my colleague Dr. Pankaj Khare. I
have been experimenting with technologies and using them for education
and trainign for some years now. My primary role is to train staff
members in distance education institutes on various aspects of
distance educaiton, but I love to work on technology. We have recently
strated to develop a Handbook on Open Universities using the
wikiEducator platform, and request all wiki community to make it a
success.

I have some experience of using wikiEducator and other wikis. But, I
want to know more about editing, the syntax, the codes, etc. so that I
can provide orientation training to others.

I think, exe and wiki educator are great tools for educational
institutions, and should be promoted vigorously. I can see the group
is big, and hope all to join and share their experiences, though it
would be too much of reading. Nevetheless, the asynchronous technology
would enable us to do things at our own pace and time!

See you all virtually...

Sanjaya

Pankaj

Oct 5, 2007, 1:34:46 AM10/5/07
to WikiPasifika
Hello everybody,

My name is Pankaj Khare and I am Director of International Division of
Indira Gandhi National Open University, India.

I still remember my first exposure to WikiEducator when I got
associated with development of Commonwealth Computer Navigator's
Certificate programme. It excited me and since then, as a self
learner, I am using WikiEducator platform for various projects.
Recently, as a team, comprising Prof. Venkaiah, Dr. Mishra and Dr.
Sharma, we have initiated a project on Open Universities of the World
on WikiEducator platform. This requires a lot editing skills, creation
of templates and provide user-friendly information sheet. I am thus
taking this opportunity to learn the skill more systematically and to
make full use of this wonderful platform.

Looking forward for interacting with all and learning together with
Wayne and Patricia.

mackiwg

Oct 5, 2007, 1:54:56 AM10/5/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi Susan,

Welcome aboard! Our community will certainly benefit from your
learning design experience. We have a fledgling learning design
project in WikiEducator which aims to develop wiki tools and
corresponding resources to support the integration of well founded
principles of learning design in our content developments.

Hopefully we'll get to chat about these ideas during the workshop.

I have a great interest in the interface between learning design and
wiki technology having been a learner designer in a past life ..;-)

Chat to you soon.
Wayne

mackiwg

Oct 5, 2007, 2:03:56 AM10/5/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi Sanjaya -

New's travels fast! I see that the Pacific workshop has migrated to
include participants from Asia. That's fantastic and you're most
welcome to join us in our wiki adventure.

I have a very high regard for IGNOU - it is a phenomenal organisation
and you should let participants on this list know how many registered
students you have <smile>.

I have many ideas concerning how we can utilise WikiEducator for the
collaborative development of resources to support professional
development in our respective institutions.

I'm looking forward to sharing thoughts and ideas. Hopefully we can
use this forum to start a new professional development project!.

PS the Handbook on Open Universities is a great idea and am watching
this project with great interest, and will do my best to promote
collaboration across the Commonwealth.

Cheers
Wayne

mackiwg

Oct 5, 2007, 2:06:59 AM10/5/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi Pankaj

What a nice surprise to see a good friend from India sharing knowledge
and expertise with our Pacific group!

I'm pretty impressed with your implementation of templates and
infoboxes in the Open University handbook. You'll be able to help me
in facilitating the technical aspects of this workshop.

Great to have you on board!

Cheers
Wayne

Patricia Schlicht

Oct 5, 2007, 12:53:05 PM10/5/07
to wikipa...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Susan. You have meanwhile received all information and I saw
online that you have registered your Google account in the discussion
forum. See you online. Looking forward.
Warm regards,
Patricia

Oct 5, 2007, 6:41:34 PM10/5/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi all,

My name is Benjamin Cheong. I am an Instructional Designer at the
University of Papua New Guinea Open College. I learnt about
wikieducator through my Executive Director Dr. Abdul Mannan.

My area of interest is in the use of intructional technologies for
teaching and learning. I think wikieducator provides a great
intructional technology for online course delivery. I am really
excited about the training and thanks to the organisers for this great
opportunity to learn a new why of learning.

My best wishes to all.

Benjamin

mackiwg

Oct 6, 2007, 12:22:31 AM10/6/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi Benjamin,

I'm very pleased to have representation from PNG and I extend a very
warm welcome to a fellow earning designer! Please send my regards to
Dr Abdul.

This is going to be a great online workshop judging by the range and
calibre of expertise joining our WikiEducator community.

Derek

Oct 6, 2007, 1:12:57 AM10/6/07
to WikiPasifika
This is Derek, I am currently on a sort of holiday in Sydney.
I'm curious about how to use wikieducator (From both an educatuional
and technical point of view)
I dabble in a Mediawiki wiki at my work

http://akowiki.canterbury.ac.nz

I dislike many aspects of markup, image handling (One at a time!! can
you believe it!!), navigation, inability to link to external
images, . . but hey, you can't have everything.

Thanks Wayne for doing this.
Just wondering more about what we will be doing . . .

-Derek
University of Canterbury, interested in communities, online
leadership, forum software to support communities, coffee with
friends . . .

mackiwg

Oct 6, 2007, 3:55:49 AM10/6/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi Derek,

What I nice surprise!

Great to have you join us on WikiEducator. I'm pretty chuffed to see
the University of Canterbury hosting a Mediawiki installation for
teaching & learning - especially the use of a free content license.
Well done!

Mmmm . mark up ...;-(, like you say, you can't have everything. For
me wiki's are all about community. In my view, having to learn a
little syntax is a small price to pay for the benefits in being part
of an international community. If we think about this practically -
to become a proficient wiki user there are only a few things we need
to know:

1. Basic text formating (bold and italics)
2. Lists (bullets & numbered lists)
3. Internal links
4. External links - which includes creating new pages
5. Images
6. How to insert existing templates.

So we only need to learn 6 things <smile> - shouldn't be too hard.
With this knowledge, one could build a free curriculum and have fun
doing it!

> Thanks Wayne for doing this.
> Just wondering more about what we will be doing . . .

My vote is to establish a new network of friends in the Pacific - and
if we are smart, we could identify a couple of meaningful projects
which will assist us in our day jobs.

William Lucas

Oct 7, 2007, 9:55:31 PM10/7/07
to WikiPasifika
Hello all

My name is William Lucas, and I work at Otago Polytechnic in Dunedin,
New Zealand. I teach ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages),
and I also work part-time at the Learning Centre.

It is great to be with people from so many other countries taking part
here. Kiribati - my 3 children are half Gilbertese (Kam na mauri!);
Germany - Ich hab mein hertz in Heidelberg verlornen; India - I taught
at Punjab Public School 25 years ago.

Computers I both love and hate! I've tried this wiki educator
thingummy previously on my own, but I really struggle with the non-
linear, haphazard (so it seems to me) ways and means that progress
occurs. Really, I prefer books. I have a low frrrrustration level
with electronic technology. And yet I can see its huge potential!

Other interests - barefoot running, haiku, peak oil preparation . . .

William Lucas

Deb

Oct 7, 2007, 10:00:22 PM10/7/07
to WikiPasifika
Kia ora. Hi everyone, I'm Deb. I'm an Instructional Designer at the
Open Polytechnic of New Zealand. I enjoy learning new skills and am
keen to add new tools to my knowledge basket (kete). I live in a small
seaside village and love gardening and watching birds. Cheers.

Berardo

Oct 8, 2007, 8:24:13 AM10/8/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi all:
My name is Bernardo H.-Márquez. I work at the Research on Economics
and Education Center (Cide) in Mexico teaching ESL and ESP. I run a
website "http:://idiomasxinter.net" which is intended for open classes
since some of our students travel extensively around the world. I'm
joining this workshop to learn more about Wiki and how it's used for
educational puposes, especially when it comes to collective tasks. I
appreciate Elderbob's invitation and I'm sure it's going to be an
enlightening experience.

vcautin

Oct 8, 2007, 9:09:02 AM10/8/07
to wikipa...@googlegroups.com
Hi William, Deb and Bernardo!
Nice to meet you.
I understand your frustration William, sometimes it happens to me, too.  That's why I am so grateful of these instances that we have to learn and practice with other people.
See you!!!
:)

Patricia Schlicht

Oct 8, 2007, 2:58:58 PM10/8/07
to wikipa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Lucas,

Welcome to the WikiPasifika group. We are looking forward to our
training. It will be fun. Sie haben Ihr Herz in Heidelberg
verloren.....mein Herz gehoert nach Hamburg, wo ich herkomme. Sorry,
dear friends, had to send a quick reply in German to Lucas.

Looking forward to talking to you online.
Warm regards,
Patricia

Oct 8, 2007, 3:29:43 PM10/8/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi Lucas,

Great to have you with us. I see that you have links and experience
from different countries (Kirrabati, NZ, Germany and Punjab India -
wow!)

There is at least one other participant in this online workshop who
teaches in the ESOL area and this may be an opportunity for an
international collaborative development on WIkiEducator.

Chat to you soon.

Terry

Oct 8, 2007, 7:57:11 PM10/8/07
to WikiPasifika
Hello everyone,
My name is Terry Marler, and I live in Dunedin, New Zealand. It's a
long way south but its beautiful... we sometimes call it the "Riviera
of the Antarctic". I work for Otago Polytechnic as a programme
developer and educational designer. I am not very new to education,
but I'm new to wikis so I will be learning a lot. I hope to gain some
experience in wiki editing of course, but more important to me is
connecting with people working in similar fields, and sharing
experiences and thoughts about facilitating learning.
A lot of my spare time is spent in a small vineyard trying to grow
grapes. I love wine too..... so cheers!
Terry

brent

Oct 8, 2007, 8:18:51 PM10/8/07
to WikiPasifika
"Riviera of Antarctica" ... now, that's funny (if you're from round
here)... and has spurred me to do my introduction. My name is Brent
Simpson and you can find more about me here: http://www.wikieducator.org/User:BrentSimpson.
I'm not from Dunedin, but I do live in New Zealand in/on a place
called Waiheke Island, which is also an island of wine you could say.
I've been working on WikiEducator for a long time ... almost since day
1 and am on the "Interim International Advisory Board" for the
project. I helped start the Wiki Pasifika project on WikiEducator in
response to a workshop run by Wayne in Wellington earlier this year.
I'll be helping out and answering questions. I'm also often to be
found lurking on the WikiEducator IRC (a kind of chat) channel, so if
you want to chat or ask a few questions in 'real time' drop by; you
can find out a bit about how to access this functionality of
WikiEducator here: http://www.wikieducator.org/Help_on_IRC

brent.

Bronwyn Hegarty

Oct 8, 2007, 8:36:01 PM10/8/07
to wikipa...@googlegroups.com
hello brent
I think you might be from the warmer of the two rivieras though we do get the occasional heatwave of 30 degrees blowing from the north west :) Terry is a wit and I get to share an office with him.

 I have a question about something I stumbled across purely by accident.

why does using the space bar to shift words along I end up with a gray blue box? I have been using it to highlight text I wanted to stand out. I have just discovered you have been in there and added a lovely icon of a present and the word Tip:  to help it stand out. Looks so much better. Thanks.

For folks who want to see what I mean. see: accidental formatting example of gray-blue box
example with icon of a present

To do this I clicked on the History tab in http://www.wikieducator.org/Online_communities - and right-clicked on the date of each version I wanted to show and selected "copy link location".

Learning opportunity: each time you make a change to the wiki page - a new version is saved. If you work on something and want your class to see a particular version you can provide them with the hyperlink to the version you select.

This is a question I am asked a lot "what if somebody changes the content when i have got it exactly how I want it?" well this is the solution. It still means you can invite collaboration and suggestions for content and presentation which can be going on in the background while your students work happily on specific content you don't want changed....for now.
Bron

Brent

Oct 8, 2007, 8:45:58 PM10/8/07
to wikipa...@googlegroups.com
Bronwyn:

yes, using a space from the left side will wrap that box around your text... which can be what you want sometimes to make something stand out, i suppose... but there's also a problem you might have noticed where text in that box doesn't wrap! I use that box kind of syntax fairly rarely and usually only on small pieces of text that I may want to highlight. I think that you're probably after a way to "indent" though.

To indent use colons, (:) before your text ... the more colons you use the more you'll be indented.

We used to use the colon syntax quite a lot on the discussion pages to indicate replies to previous posts .. but now that WikiEd has installed the Liquid Thread discussion tool there's no need as it does it for you.

brent.
--
------------------------------
http://greymatter.co.nz

mackiwg

Oct 8, 2007, 8:46:29 PM10/8/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi Terry,

Glad you could join us - I agree - "Riviera of the Antarctic" is an
apt description of Dunedin.

I understand that the Scottish flooded the place in the early days
inviting mates back home to join then because they had found a place
colder and wetter than Scotland! I'm not going to say anything about
the Rugby - but am keen to share a few notes on the fruit of the vine
<smile>.

C u during the week.

Wayne

mackiwg

Oct 8, 2007, 8:54:32 PM10/8/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi Brent -

Glad you could join us!

Brent has been far too humble in his introduction.

Brent is a founding pioneer of WikiEducator and WikiPasifika is
privileged to have the calibre of his skills helping turn our vision
into reality.

I must acknowledge that Brent has been a source of inspiration (and
much needed support) with my own migration to using free software on
my desktop a few years ago.

Yip that's right - I don't use any non-free software. I spent many
years talking about the virtues of open source software in education
without using it myself ...;-(. However, that's all changed -- I live
now live an upright life and am more than happy to share my software
with anyone that wants a copy!

Looking forward to seeing WikiPasifika grow from strength to strength.

Wayne

mackiwg

Oct 8, 2007, 9:00:52 PM10/8/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi Bronwyn

On Oct 8, 5:36 pm, "Bronwyn Hegarty" <bronwyn.hega...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> hello brent
> I think you might be from the warmer of the two rivieras though we do get
> the occasional heatwave of 30 degrees blowing from the north west :)

Yeah - but Brent's Riviera is wetter than yours <smile>.

Appreciate the tips you've provided for our group. You've alluded to
an important question which is in the mind of teachers and educators
using wiki technology, i.e.

"What if someone changes my content?" This ties in rather nicely with
the discussion activity for the first Tutorial which the group will
work through tomorrow.

See:
http://www.wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_tutorial/What_is_a_wiki/Advantages_and_disadvantages

Looking forward to a flurry of posts dealing with this topical issue.

Cheers
Wayne

Anouk

Oct 8, 2007, 10:30:54 PM10/8/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi everyone,

I'm Anouk Janssens-Bevernage - e-learning advisor at the Open
Polytechnic of New Zealand. Originally from Belgium, I spent 16 years
living and working in 4 African countries and Vietnam before moving to
New Zealand almost 2 years ago. I live across the bay from Wellington
in a small seaside village and absolutely love it out here.

I am looking forward to learning the skills to use WikiEducator -
still very unsure about the techie bits...

Cheers,
Anouk

mackiwg

Oct 8, 2007, 11:07:15 PM10/8/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi Anouk,

What a pleasant surprise! At least we have a representative from a
windy city in the Pacific!

Your experiences in Africa and Vietnam will be a valuable contribution
to our work in WikiEducator.

The techie bits are the easy part of the equation - education is an
order of magnitude more challenging!

Cheers
Wayne

Varane

Oct 9, 2007, 12:22:00 AM10/9/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi Everyone,

My name is Simba Paza and I came from Honiara, Solomon Islands.

Currently Iam working as ICT MANAGER for Ministry of Education and
Human Resource Development.
I am part of the DFL technical working group and therefore it my is
great interest to be part of this group. hope to learn more on how ICT
can be of value to education learning, teaching and support.

I am looking forward to find more DFL and ICT experinece from you all

Simba Paza

Linda

Oct 9, 2007, 4:09:02 PM10/9/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi everyone

My name is Linda, and I am the Multimedia and Virtual Learning Advisor
at The Open Polytechnic of New Zealand, which is based in Lower Hutt.
I know very little about WikiEducator and this is a fantastic
opportunity to learn new skills and to meet an amazingly diverse group
of people. I'm looking forward to working with you all on this course.

Tippen

Oct 9, 2007, 6:49:31 PM10/9/07
to WikiPasifika
Folks,

John Harris here. I'm with Thompson Rivers University - Open Learning,
the new institution formed from the former University College of the
Cariboo and Open Learning Agency in British Columbia.

I have been in Open Learning since the early eighties working as a
distance tutor both by the mails and telephone, and by internet and
web. My experience on line goes back about ten years when I put
together a website for one of the courses I tutored (grade 12 English
literature). The instruction still was vested in the print materials,
but discussion was now by e-mail as well as over the phone.

Presently I am interested in the job of putting courses into the Wiki
format. My initial attempts at this are working on course materials
for a G.12 English course put up on the Wikieducator site by The
college of the Rockies, a college in eastern B.C.(not surprisingly).

I am not sure where the Wikipasifika seminar will take us, but I very
curious to find out.

Cheers.
John
(Tippen)

Patricia Schlicht

Oct 9, 2007, 7:00:40 PM10/9/07
to wikipa...@googlegroups.com
Welcome John,

It is great to have you with us. Wiki is definitely a wonderful tool for
the project you have in mind and I am confident that you will learn many
useful tools during this workshop that you will apply.

Warm regards,
Patricia

Oct 9, 2007, 10:47:18 PM10/9/07
to WikiPasifika
Hi John,

Glad you could make it.

To be honest -- I'm also not sure where the WikiPacisifika workshop
will take us - that's why I enjoy this wiki environment so much! Never
a dull moment.

sparkered

Oct 10, 2007, 12:07:14 AM10/10/07
to WikiPasifika
Oops

I jumped in and introduced myself in another forum thread and missed
this one.

My name is Steven Parker I work for TAFE NSW in Australia and am
looking forward to being involved in the wikipacifica project. Am
pleased to see the names of quite a few NZ people I met as part of the
FLNW tour last year.

My user page is http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Sparkered

Cheers

Steven

Sebastian Musonda

Oct 11, 2007, 2:38:16 AM10/11/07
to wikipa...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
Sorry for the belated introduction! my name is Sebastian Musonda and i hail from Lusaka, Zambia.
I am a part time - lecturer in accountancy at a private college and i also run on full time the ICT4D network in Zambia called the ebrain forum.
Just two weeks ago i attended the web2forDev conference in Rome, Italy where i appreciated the host of tools available for knowledge and information sharing and collaboration including wikis.
This training workshop is very ideal as i believe it will give me an in-depth appreciation of the use of wikis for collaboration and development.
I look forward to a healthy online interaction.
Sebastian

Work Tel: +260 211 232036
Mobile: 0955/0966/0977-874306
http://sebastianmusonda.blogspot.com/

Those who do not trust others cannot be trusted themselves!

Wayne Mackintosh

Oct 11, 2007, 12:21:11 PM10/11/07
to wikipa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastian and welcome to Zambia.

Wow - you're busy with interesting stuff. I hope that you'll find a
little time to work on Zambia's country page during this workshop so we
can see how different networks like WikiEducator, ICT4D and ebrain can
help each other.

Cheers
Wayne

Sebastian Musonda

Oct 12, 2007, 2:20:58 AM10/12/07
to wikipa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Wayne,
Indeed i look forward to being a WikiEducator ambassador and forging close linkages between development actors such as ebrain and WikiEducator.
Thanks once again for the warm welcome

Ciao
Sebastian
--