Opening education -- taking OER to the next level (LIVE Stream)

Wayne Mackintosh

Sep 27, 2011, 7:32:58 PM9/27/11
to WikiEducator, heyw...@googlegroups.com, oer-uni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

When: 17 October 2011 in Vancouver (Check your own time) .  Schedule the date and time in your diary today.

Sir John Daniel, President and Chief Executive of the Commonwealth of Learning will deliver the opening keynote. Founding anchor partners of the OER university including Athabasca University, BCcampus and the OER Foundation will be contributing to the discussions.

This initiative will provide more alternatives for Canadian institutions who have opted out and said NO to the exorbitant price hikes associated with the Canadian Copyright Licensing agency (Access Copyright).

British Columbia and selected Canadian post-secondary institutions are leading the way and will be developing and implementing an action agenda -- join us in building sustainable OER futures.

Live webcast

A live webcast will be available if you can't make it in person. Please register as a web participant by email to communications [at] bccampus [dot] ca with your name, institution, email address and Twitter handle (if applicable)

--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation

simonfj

Sep 29, 2011, 1:10:23 AM9/29/11
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, heyw...@googlegroups.com, oer-uni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wayne,

I'm reading this from within the new Google+ layout, so excuse me while i'm getting orientated.
I had hoped that Google+ would have offered a way for "groups" to auto create "circles". No. So I've set up a wikieductor circle and added you and Jim. But you're the driver. I know Jim's set his 'office hours' up. What I can't figure out is  how we share the one circle and hangout.

It would be nice if we could try and use a "hangout" to stream from, and maybe use as an office hours' workshop space before, during and after the events. i.e. open your laptop, put it under whoever's talking nose, and stream to people in, and outside, the hangout. Google are going to be offering the ability to record the stream before much longer. But in the meantime it would be nice to have a play.

Things are moving pretty fast now. I'll point you at my mate, Peter's, presentation to a group of network people in Brussels this week. You'd might understand, looking at Fig 3 on his presentation, that OERers are at the top level = software as a service, while these guys are trying to figure out what combination of apps, on a Platform, will advance the OER agenda = shared & archived/stored in a cloud. You'll be looking at the content as much as they look at the Platform which might host/share it. Never the twain shall meet. So far.

Eventually OERers will want to sign in, using their institutional log on, to a range of Global) services which they can use and share - some commercial - like Google's groups and +, some more attuned to their own particular (disciplinary) community. They'll also want a commons which everyone, teachers and students, can share to build interesting and entertaining courses. So I'll point to this conference last week, and the SURFconext doc in particular.

We're very close to having our NRENs come up with a way to support global OER communties by coordinating the 'confederation' of a range of services. But they do need some OERers/OCWCers(?) to spec what they want. And Brussels is offering pennies to find out.