Python 3..?

Bjorn

Jul 23, 2016, 4:17:27 AM7/23/16
to wikidpad-devel
Hi,

I know that the issue of porting to python 3 has been talked about before at least once in this forum.

What are the sentiments about this now? Some high profile projects in python such as IPython has announced that they will move away from python 2.

Python itself will drop support 2020 if I understood things correctly.

I think wxpython 3 works well in python 3, but I have not tried.

cheers,
Bjorn

Michael Butscher

Sep 26, 2016, 7:59:25 PM9/26/16
to wikidpa...@googlegroups.com
Actually the support for Python 2.6 (which I'm using yet) ended already in
October 2013.

It seems I have to evaluate soon how good wxPython works with python 3 and if
there are big obstacles for porting WikidPad.

Michael

Bjorn

Nov 11, 2016, 11:01:20 AM11/11/16
to wikidpad-devel
Surprisingly there is no wxpython for python 3! There is a new version of wxpython called "Phoenix" which has python 3 support, this is not entirely backwards compatible.

Looks like porting must be done in order to have python 3.
At least Python 2.7 and wxpython 3.0.2 work very well for wikidpad.

/bjorn

xkjq

Jan 22, 2017, 6:00:37 PM1/22/17
to wikidpad-devel

There shouldn't be any big obstacles, I had a functional verison running a couple of years ago - and a suspect it should be easier with the newer versions of wxpython. Gadfly still hasn't been ported as far as I'm aware but that is no real loss.

https://bitbucket.org/xkjq/wikidpad_phoenix

It was a quick and dirty port that unfortunately also included some silly page threading changes I'd made previously, but it does prove its doable without too much work.

Bjorn

Mar 3, 2017, 1:49:45 AM3/3/17
to wikidpad-devel
I have installed phoenix on Linux, the prebuilt binaries seem to work fine.
I saw on one of the branches in the wp github repo that there is some work done to port to phoenix.
what would be the next step?