Porting to Python 3.6

Bjorn

Jun 29, 2017, 2:08:10 AM6/29/17
to wikidpad-devel
Hi all,

I tried to port to python 3.6 using the 2to3 tool. I chose python 3.6 since there were packages for wxpython 4.0.0a3 available in a conda channel.

It seems that the threading module is quite different between the versions.

there seems to be some custom threading code in pwiki/Utilities.py  which is not evident for me how to port. This code is imported in Wikidatamanager.py and DocPages.py.

Anyone has an idea on how to get around this?

cheers,
Bjorn

Bjorn

Jun 29, 2017, 2:50:02 AM6/29/17
to wikidpad-devel
Just links to Github repos if anyone is interested:

Both repositories have an anaconda environment file that describe the installed packages.

/bjorn

xkjq

Jul 15, 2017, 6:53:42 AM7/15/17
to wikidpad-devel
Hi,

You can always check my old Python 3 port if you want a bit of inspiration.

https://bitbucket.org/xkjq/wikidpad_phoenix

It worked, just bare in mind that I used any cheap and dirty hack I could think of to get it working quickly.

Ross

Graham Harris

Nov 17, 2017, 11:20:38 PM11/17/17
to wikidpad-devel
Hi Bjorn, did you overcome that pwiki problem?

best
Graham

Björn Johansson

Nov 18, 2017, 2:36:12 AM11/18/17
to wikidpa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graham,
No I never got around to spend more time on it. One of my main goals for
working on Wikidpad was to improve how it works on MacOS. I could never get around
the problems on the macOS Sierra (version 10.12).

There is now a 10.13 high sierra, perhaps it plays nicer with wxpython?

I have two Github repos:

The first one is my own attempt at a port and the last one is a copy of

I also saw that there seems to be work towards a 3.4 version:

The official repo has a 3.4 branch updated a month ago:

This might be a better starting point.

Eventually I would like to create a setuptools package for wikidpad.
This would make things much more flexible and we could benefit from the
conda and wheel packages for the new versions of wxpython. I have one repo containing

cheers,
Bjorn

______O_________oO________oO______o_______oO__
Björn Johansson
Assistant Professor
Departament of Biology
University of Minho
Campus de Gualtar
4710-057 Braga
PORTUGAL
https://metabolicengineeringgroupcbma.github.io
www.bio.uminho.pt
Office direct +351-253 601517 | PT mob.  +351-967 147 704 | SWE mob.  +46 72 740 60 20
Dept of Biology (secretary) +351-253 60 4310  | fax +351-253 678980

Ross Kruger

Nov 18, 2017, 6:52:56 AM11/18/17
to wikidpa...@googlegroups.com
The experiment-convertToPython3.4 branch is mostly functional.

In fact its probably at the stage for adventurous people to start testing. There is quite a lot that is still broken but I think we've fixed most of the problems I'm aware of.

Just make sure you keep backups of your data if you do decide to go ahead and test it.

Ross