Wfrp3 7-10:30 pm weekday - EST/EDT - weekly

Ceodryn

Jan 22, 2013, 11:39:18 AM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'd like to get a group together to run mostly a WFRP3 campaign, intersected sometimes with one off SWEotE adventures (if players are interested)

We would run mostly FFG adventures, starting with The Gathering Storm which I have enjoyed as a player.

I plan on using FG2, and FG2 Teamspeak server as VoIP. I'd like to start with 4 players. My preference is for Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday night.

Beginners to wfrp3 are welcome as long as your committed to weekly games.

Cheers
Philippe

Josiah Leis

Jan 22, 2013, 11:41:46 AM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

What time zone are you in for 7:30-10:30 PM?

John Condon

Jan 22, 2013, 11:42:51 AM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
EST or EDT according to the title of the thread :D
</StatingTheObviousMode>

Josiah Leis

Jan 22, 2013, 11:53:05 AM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

Doh! Don't know how I missed that.....

Scott Guzman

Jan 22, 2013, 6:09:20 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

Not sure what wfrp3 is but im interested in a tuesday or Wednesday game

Daniel Wise

Jan 22, 2013, 6:11:45 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.  (don't flame him guys, he joined for Star Wars).

Philippe Boujon

Jan 22, 2013, 7:13:05 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
As Dan said, it's Warhammer Fantasy roleplay 3rd edition. Check it out on FFG website to make sure you're actually interested in the setting :). It's a grim and perilous world, not as heroic as Star Wars or D&D. In short, it's not whether your char will die or succumb to chaos...it's when :)

Sent from my iPhone

DevoutBadger

Jan 22, 2013, 7:30:04 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I'm up for it if you need one more, that sounds great to me and that should have no problems with my schedule.

Does that VoIP require another program other than FG2?

Philippe Boujon

Jan 22, 2013, 7:45:05 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Well, right now there are no other players interested than you and Scott, so there is space :)

VOIP will be using Teamspeak 3. We can iron out those issues later, and discuss the 1st time using Skype. You can however download Teamspeak.

Cheers
Ceodryn

Kartigan

Jan 22, 2013, 7:52:20 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I am interested, still a beginner to Warhammer, though I have run a couple of sessions of 3rd Edition now and own most of the line.  I have never before used Fantasy Grounds 2 though.

However I have to warn you that if I was to participate the time would probably need to be bumped back about 15-30 minutes.  I get off of work at 7:00 your time and though I live right next to my work and could make it most nights, any little hiccup at work and I'd be late which I would hate to have happen.

If you get more players I'm happy to bow out, but if you're still looking for another when you go to start just let me know.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 22, 2013, 7:56:36 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hey Kartigan,

Thanks for your interest. I had set 7pm, because I figured it left every East Coaster enough time to get back home from work (including myself). 7:30 pm is fine too, until 10:30pm. Basically, the idea is to have shorter sessions, ~3h, but every week (except really when 2 or 3 of the players can't make it).

I can teach FG2 (basically what I did all through last year), and WFRP3 mechanisms are easy to learn. Basically, the most important is to like the setting of WFRP and the narrative dice, and be open to all learn together :)

DevoutBadger

Jan 22, 2013, 7:58:08 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason Teamspeak is better than Skype?

Philippe Boujon

Jan 22, 2013, 8:00:35 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Skype and FG2 don't agree with each other. When using Skype and FG2, Skype often starts lagging and breaking up, especially when using maps and pictures within FG2.

As a player in Skellan's TGS campaign, we have started using Teamspeak, and found it really good for gaming, without the breaking up problems.

I am open to try Skype again, but my experience last year showed that Skype and FG2 don't work well together.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/wfrp3-virtual-rpg/-/UpRsTx2zco4J.

DevoutBadger

Jan 22, 2013, 8:06:36 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

Scott Guzman

Jan 22, 2013, 10:14:49 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
k ill need the folowing..a link to either a pdf of books or a way to know wtf im doing what races are avail or just the standard stuff.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 22, 2013, 10:37:36 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hey Scott,

Well, WFRP3 is a game system containing a lot of "bits" (i.e. cards and tokens, such as action cards, talents cards, abilities cards) when played at a table. While we will be using FG2, which aid in online gaming, since we coded most of those bits, I always recommend players to have their cards with them for quick reference.

Since you are new to WFRP3, I would recommend you to at least acquire the Player's Guide at Drive Thru RPG.

Also, before committing to a campaign, try some one off adventures that are often announced on this board. Dan just ran one last weekend, and I think another member may soon run another.

As for what kind of careers, classes, Liber Fanatica 7 has a bunch of pre-generated characters to download that you could use for one-off adventures. However, in a campaign, characters career are randomly generated during the 1st session.

Cheers
Ceodryn

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Scott Guzman <sgoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
k ill need the folowing..a link to either a pdf of books or a way to know wtf im doing what races are avail or just the standard stuff.

Daniel Wise

Jan 22, 2013, 11:48:12 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Get the wfrp 3 dice roller app as well.  That'll get your basics going.

Daniel Wise

Jan 22, 2013, 11:58:08 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
And listen to the Reckless Dice Podcast while your truckin along there Scott.  You'll get a good understanding of the setting and mechanics from their earlier episodes and how the game is played from their later ones.

Dan

DevoutBadger

Jan 23, 2013, 12:34:21 AM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Also can just play a character without a lot of "special knowledge" of the setting. Like instead of being a wizard or priest or something you can play a simpler character.

"I'm Bob the Watchman of little Podunknowheretown and really don't know much of anything about the larger world. I like drinking beer and like bopping bad people on the head with my club. My cousin Jon (another PC) convinced me to come along on this adventure thing. I'm a bit uncertain, but Jon has never steered me wrong before... except for that time with the Werther Sisters... and the one time by the Old Gange Farm... and back when we stole that boat and went down the river... oh dear, I'm doomed..."

A few sessions later you'll be one armed, crazy and have a few extra eyes and tenticles and you'll feel much more comfortable about the whole thing.

Charlie

Jan 23, 2013, 3:28:05 AM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
This is Charlie. I'm available weekly. My only issues are:
- I haven't played the system yet (The two beginner's sessions I looked at online are both on weekends)
-My mic sucks.... I'll be buying a new one sometime next week however. So it'll only be hard to hear me the first two sessions.

As you, I'm also EST.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 23, 2013, 7:05:58 AM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Great post Devout, and all so right!

Since many citizens of the Old World (including some PCs) are at the bottom of the society, they are often not knowledgeable past their village, so the setting can be discovered slowly.

Sent from my iPhone
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/wfrp3-virtual-rpg/-/tuMkRV9EBXsJ.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 23, 2013, 7:07:33 AM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Ok great, we have 4 players!

Let me post later today about 1st session, where we will just get together to iron out softwares and hopefully roll characters together.

Sent from my iPhone

Philippe Boujon

Jan 23, 2013, 7:18:07 AM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Charlie, if you buy a mic, get a headset, as any headset will give a better quality sound than any mic.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 23, 2013, at 3:28 AM, Charlie <Yahiko_n...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Karma Kollapse

Jan 23, 2013, 7:20:32 AM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Plus you can sit back in your chair without the other players moaning about how quiet you are. >.>

CC: wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
From: phbo...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Wfrp3 7-10:30 pm weekday - EST/EDT - weekly
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 07:18:07 -0500
To: wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

Ceodryn

Jan 23, 2013, 11:08:39 AM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Allright, so we have 4 players interested:
  1. Tassadar aka Scott
  2. DevoutBadger
  3. Kartigan
  4. Charlie
How about we set our 1st session for Wednesday 30th of January, 7:30 pm EST.

1st session would be:
- Iron out all technical difficulties
- Demo of Fantasy Grounds 2
- Demo of WFRP3 with a brief encounter using pre-generated characters I would supply
Sounds good?

Please go and read the thread How to Play WFRP3 through Fantasy Grounds II, and make sure to download and install:
- Fantasy Grounds II (You do NOT need to purchase FG2 as I own a license that allow me to host anyone)
- The WFRP3 ruleset and library
- Hamachi Unmanaged
- Teamspeak 3 client. The FG2 teamspeak server address is: fgts.servegame.com. You can test it anytime as it is always ON.

If you have technical difficulties in installing any of the above, post here and I'll help you. My skype handle is phboujon. At worse, we can use skype for this 1st session to get things together.

Last question: Anyone has any fun idea for a short group name that I could use for our server?

Cheers
Philippe

Kartigan

Jan 23, 2013, 3:06:44 PM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ceodryn that all sounds good to me.

I will try to get all those programs up and running over the next week, look forward to playing with all of you on the 30th.  Who knows?  If there aren't any technical difficulties and the demo goes quickly enough we may even have time for Character Creation.  Speaking of which Ceodryn, were you planning on having us do random races and the draw 3 pick 1 career or something else?  I'm fine with whatever, just curious.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 23, 2013, 3:32:49 PM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Ah good question about character creation! I have my thoughts, but what would you guys prefer to do? Do you have a specific careers you really want to play, or would you be willing to do it the WFRP way, random?

In regards to races, I would prefer a group mostly human (i.e. at least 2 humans), with potentially some dwarves (0-2), and no more than 1 halfling.
I would prefer no elves nor ogres as starting characters, but once you guys reach rank 2, and if you loose a character, those races would be available.

Why no elves or ogres at start? I think those races are more difficult to role-play, especially the social aspect. Plus, elves are very rare in WFRP, high elf less than wood elf but still. Finally, because I'd like to run Black Fire Pass at some point of time, it would make it very difficult to have elves then.

Let me know what you guys think,
Cheers
Ceodryn

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Kartigan <josiah...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Ceodryn that all sounds good to me.

I will try to get all those programs up and running over the next week, look forward to playing with all of you on the 30th.  Who knows?  If there aren't any technical difficulties and the demo goes quickly enough we may even have time for Character Creation.  Speaking of which Ceodryn, were you planning on having us do random races and the draw 3 pick 1 career or something else?  I'm fine with whatever, just curious.

DevoutBadger

Jan 23, 2013, 5:05:38 PM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy playing human, don't have any interest in playing anything else really except maybe a dwarf.

I'm a big "WFRP is about the Empire" player, so feel humans with a side of dwarfs and halflings should be the main focus as well.

As for Careers, I like playing Initiates, especially Sigmarites as I like being pre-Empire and they're also fighty with a side of healy and talky (or both!). Honestly though, if we want to do 3 randoms and pick 1, I could handle that though.

I like having a little bit of thought going into the capabilities of the individual characters and group as a whole, but honestly, WFRP3 is an open enough system that no matter where you start out, you can morph and change into whatever you want to be really. It is just a matter of living long enough to get there :)

Josiah Leis

Jan 23, 2013, 5:16:51 PM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

I to am happy to play a Human or Dwarf, and agree that Elves are very challenging to justify from a story or roleplaying standpoint. Halfings and Ogres I wouldn't mind in the party but I don't know if I'd want to play one to start.

As far as careers go I am fine with whatever, exotic things like a Wizard or a Troll Slayer (which are really probably one of the most commonly played =-O) are fun, but more "normal" careers can provide equally interesting opportunities.

I would suggest that no matter what method we use for races and careers (semi-random or selection) that we talk it out as a group. Like Devout says it is more fun to design characters that fit well as a group.

DevoutBadger

Jan 23, 2013, 5:28:08 PM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
That is what I'm used to, but I come from years of D&D playing/DMing (as that is all people here will really play) and playing with some touchy players ("if you make a character too much like Johns he'll get less 'screen time' then get a sad") due to wierd open groups. So we tend to do a fair amount of  planning and discussion ("I'll be talky, you be smarty, she'll be fighty and he'll be healy with a bit of overlap here, here and here")

BUT!

I'm not sure if that is how "things are done" around these parts, and am open to whatever. I'm just happy to play Warhammer!

I just like to play "good", pro-Empire, types in general. Weather a baby Sigmarite priest or a young Roadwarden trying to keep the Emperor's Law, or an apsiring Apothecary trying to heal people of disease and despair! But again, I'm flexiblewith the needs of the group :)

Philippe Boujon

Jan 23, 2013, 9:18:51 PM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I agree that doing the pcs all together is better, since this is meant to be a campaign. Also, I'd like to follow wfrp3 tabletop rules where no two same careers, actions, talents can be selected since each card is unique. That will ensure each character is really unique. Don't worry about min maxing your actions and talents, I promise you I'll make sure you will have use of your actions whether social, support, melee, ranged or other!

So, the 1st session let's focus on technical stuff and learning FG2, and maybe starting the chars discussion but session 2 will really be about doing your chars. I know it means we won't play until 3 weeks from today with your real chars but that's ok. It'll give me time to prep a few adventures in advance. Plus once you know we'll FG2, it'll go faster while playing.

Sent from my iPad

DevoutBadger

Jan 23, 2013, 9:44:20 PM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
OMG THREE WEEKS! I may not make it!

I'd like to get some time in discussing it next week if possible. At least decide on choosing or randoming for our starting career, so maybe can start discussion here. The more discussion the better, yeah?

Philippe Boujon

Jan 23, 2013, 10:06:54 PM1/23/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hehe, ok well we will hopefully have no technical issues, and will keep the FG2 demo short then we can dive into your chars.

Then, I can run an intro adventure with your chars the following week where you learn fg2 as you go. It'll mean more mechanisms discussion in that intro but if everyone is cool with that, then ok.

Charlie

Jan 24, 2013, 3:17:44 AM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I was planning on getting a headset. I got one picked out and everything.
I was going to get a cheap on on amazon and maybe a WHF novel (Gortek and Feliz maybe, as I hear good things about it).

I already have the FG demo and teamspeak, I just need to install the WFRP plugin.

As for characters, I prefer picking specific careers.
In particular, I was looking at Wizard or Rat-Catcher.

PS - This is totally unrelated, but has anyone here ever played "Call of Warhammer"?
It's actually what got me into the WHF world

Philippe Boujon

Jan 24, 2013, 9:10:33 AM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Gotrek and Felix is good. I think the latter books, when the author changed are much better than the early ones. Although, the very first trilogy is good.

Just check amazon reviews on headset. Mine is like 10 years old when I used to do lots of online gaming, and not even USB, but it works. Any headset will help reduce noise, and feedback. Usually if not using a headset, then the player has to use push to talk. Also, teamspeak doesn't have as good a noise cancellation ability than Skype but is much more stable.

I had never heard of Call of Warhammer but I just checked it out and may get that once I tire from Xcom.

Sent from my iPad

DevoutBadger

Jan 24, 2013, 10:41:53 AM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Wizards are a bit different animals in WFRP than most other games, both mechanically and socially. Be sure to read up on them to be sure you are comfortable with some of the stuff going on.

First time players exploding themselves on thier own spells tends to leave a bad taste in their mouths.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 24, 2013, 10:54:15 AM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Anyone has a good idea for a group/page name for an Obsidian portal and our server?

For example, given Devout already pointing his desire to defend the Empire, and all FFG adventures being very much about saving this town, or fighting for the good… I thought: The Defenders, Empire in Flame, The New Guard, etc…

Any ideas?

Cheers
Philippe

On Jan 24, 2013, at 10:41 AM, DevoutBadger <ronin....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wizards are a bit different animals in WFRP than most other games, both mechanically and socially. Be sure to read up on them to be sure you are comfortable with some of the stuff going on.
>
> First time players exploding themselves on thier own spells tends to leave a bad taste in their mouths.

Charlie

Jan 24, 2013, 3:08:32 PM1/24/13
On Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:10:33 AM UTC-5, Ceodryn wrote:
Gotrek and Felix is good. I think the latter books, when the author changed are much better than the early ones. Although, the very first trilogy is good.

Just check amazon reviews on headset. Mine is like 10 years old when I used to do lots of online gaming, and not even USB, but it works. Any headset will help reduce noise, and feedback. Usually if not using a headset, then the player has to use push to talk. Also, teamspeak doesn't have as good a noise cancellation ability than Skype but is much more stable.

I had never heard of Call of Warhammer but I just checked it out and may get that once I tire from Xcom.
The headset I was looking at is only $15 and has almost all good reviews.

As for CoW, it takes place during the "Storm of Chaos"... Lots of fun stuff.
I'm currently finishing it up as Reikland. My troops have captured most of the destroyed Kislev from Chaos and soon will ride out to meet the forces of Archon and Chaos Undivided in the Chaos Wastes as soon as I get those Bright Wizards from Altdorf and Steam Tanks from Nuln.

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:41:53 AM UTC-5, DevoutBadger wrote:
Wizards are a bit different animals in WFRP than most other games, both mechanically and socially. Be sure to read up on them to be sure you are comfortable with some of the stuff going on.

First time players exploding themselves on thier own spells tends to leave a bad taste in their mouths.

It's ok... I'll just eat a warpstone and rub another all over my body.... that'll stop anything bad from happening.... right? Right?
Oh, and use different winds of magic    =p

In all seriousness, I am fairly well acquainted with the lore of the different colleges of magic that Telcis setup. Although I think that the risk of exploding myself one of the most exciting things about them.  :)

Philippe Boujon

Jan 24, 2013, 3:36:39 PM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I checked the videos of Call of Warhammer this morning, and I am very impressed. However, since it's a mod, and there seem to be different versions of it, can I ask: Where do you get the mod? (Obviously I understand I would have to buy the game first on steam).

Let's definitely discuss chars this coming Wednesday as a group. It's good that you know well WFRP setting, especially if you want to play a magical user since they are always educated PCs.

Charlie

Jan 24, 2013, 4:02:46 PM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
There's only one version the mod really. It can be downloaded here on twcenter.
Maybe you're thinking of the other Warhammer mod about Malekith and the Sundering? (Trailer 1) (Trailer 2) (Info)

Charlie

Jan 24, 2013, 4:10:00 PM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm... the links didn't show for some reason

In all, I'd say that Call of Warhammer is better. But if you're a fan of the Elves, or of other factions not involved in the SoC (like the Tomb Kings or Skaven, It's worth a look

Apologies for getting off topic...
And speaking of classes, I kinda like Priest of man just because of their FISH!! blessing, lol. I haven't enjoyed a spell so much since AD&D2e's "Frisky Chest" spell

Philippe Boujon

Jan 24, 2013, 4:25:34 PM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hehehe, Priest of Manaan are cool indeed, although so limited within the Empire. However, lots of the adventure we will do will be near rivers...

Thanks for the links! I think I had gotten confused indeed, but I see what's what. I am more interested in Call of Warhammer and will check it out.

DevoutBadger

Jan 27, 2013, 6:50:03 PM1/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Snotlings For The Ethical Treatment of Snotlings!

Ceodryn

Jan 27, 2013, 6:57:38 PM1/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Allright guys, by now, I hope you have FG2 demo installed,as well as Hamachi Unmanaged and Teamspeak 3.

Below are the connection information to each:

1) Hamachi:
- Launch Hamachi and click on the Power On button
- Click on Network -> Join an existing network
- Network ID: Ceodryn WFRP3 - Network Password: WFRP3
You can go ahead and try this now. I'll leave it on every evening, so you can connect to it. Once connected, you can power off Hamachi and the next time you power on (Wednesday), it will reconnect.

2) Teamspeak:
- Launch Teamspeak and click on Connections -> Connect
- Server adress: fgts.servegame.com - Choose whatever nickname you want, there is no password
- Once inside, you're good. On Wednesday, look for the chat room "Ceodryn Gathering Storm", right click on it and "switch channel"

3) Fantasy Grounds 2
- Once you're in Teamspeak, and confirm that my FG2 server is on (but it will be if you see the chat room), you launch FG2 and click on "join game"
- Username is whatever you want, host address is: 25.22.210.209

Once inside FG2 well... then we will discuss how you use it, and we can create your characters. :)

Is everyone still good for Wednesday 7:30 pm?

Cheers
Philippe

Josiah Leis

Jan 27, 2013, 7:18:16 PM1/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

That sounds great, thanks for all the detailed instructions. I have all the programs setup. I will try to test and connect to everything tomorrow night. Wednesday at 7:30 still works for me.

DevoutBadger

Jan 27, 2013, 7:29:46 PM1/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good!

I'd like to try and hook to your server at some point just to check if it works. It can wait though.

Josiah Leis

Jan 28, 2013, 12:38:52 PM1/28/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Well I think I have everything ready to go.  Managed to connect to the Hamachi network as well as the Teamspeak one.  Didn't connect to anything in FG2, but I don't think your server is running right now so that is understandable.  Looking forward to it, see you all Wednesday at 7:30 PM EST.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 28, 2013, 1:37:49 PM1/28/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, FG2 will only be running Wednesday :). Good to know everything is working!

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wfrp3-virtual-...@googlegroups.com.

Ceodryn

Jan 29, 2013, 6:52:14 PM1/29/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
A few resources that I find useful for players:
- Character creation tool created by Steve of the Red Fex - Steve has a particular house rule regarding Affluent wealth that I do not use, but all the points creation can still be used. His random career generator works very well too, as well as his name generator.
- Count Dimon reference guide - If it isn't on this guide, I don't know the rule :). Basically, I use it to run the game, and I have it within FG2 as a GM screen

Cheers
Philippe

DevoutBadger

Jan 29, 2013, 10:47:12 PM1/29/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
After playing with FG2 a bit, I'm kinda digging it now that I've gotten used to it.

(Don't tell suntzu or Fender though!)

Ceodryn

Jan 30, 2013, 3:50:14 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
One more file for you guys:

This one goes in the same folder as the library. It's not needed for tonight since we will mostly be doing characters, but it's very useful when playing.

Oh by the way, it is fitting that a very windy storm is gathering tonight over southern Virginia (and I am sure other places of the East Coast), and since I am living in the country, right by the water (*cough* swampy soil of Virginia), the likelihood of downed power lines and such is high. So, let's cross fingers than Manaan wrath spare me for a few more hours :)

Ceodryn

Jan 30, 2013, 3:52:33 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hehe, well officially my campaign file in FG2 is now "The Snotlings"

DevoutBadger

Jan 30, 2013, 4:25:50 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't work for me! *dance*

FG2 might be a good program if adding stuff wasn't such a hassle.

suntzu

Jan 30, 2013, 4:41:53 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Dont worry about that , i used to use FG2 but i prefer map tools for the VBL

Rob

dave russell

Jan 30, 2013, 4:45:50 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Make sure you rename the file from .ZIP to .MOD, Windows always changes the extension when you download it.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 30, 2013, 4:57:13 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I think it's more a matter of habits. I can add stuff to FG2 pretty fast now, but I am sure someone used to Maptool can do the same as well in Maptool. As long as we play, whatever the GM prefers is the way to go :)

DevoutBadger

Jan 30, 2013, 5:06:52 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure you can, I just think it would do both programs and in turn the community a hand if they were a bit more user friendly to set up and get going.

I have a few friends who would may get into it, but I know as soon as I start saying "copy this over here" interest will drop.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 30, 2013, 5:19:44 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Well, yes, that's why we created such community to answer any questions :)

Dont worry, you'll soon be an expert and will walk your friends through it

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM, DevoutBadger <ronin....@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm sure you can, I just think it would do both programs and in turn the community a hand if they were a bit more user friendly to set up and get going.

I have a few friends who would may get into it, but I know as soon as I start saying "copy this over here" interest will drop.

DevoutBadger

Jan 30, 2013, 5:24:44 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Need to figure out why files next to other files aren't being noticed first.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 30, 2013, 5:31:44 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
We'll discuss it tonight. I suspect it is because Internet Explorer/Windows love to force rename extensions that it doesnt recognize. Try and force rename your module to .mod extension.

Also, it may be because of the type of module. Some modules are libraries, some are modules, they will appear in different places in FG2. Anyway, we can iron this out.

At the end of the day, as long as you have the library working as a player, that's all what you really need.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:24 PM, DevoutBadger <ronin....@gmail.com> wrote:
Need to figure out why files next to other files aren't being noticed first.

Rob Heath

Jan 30, 2013, 5:35:02 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
one little tip i remember , if you enable show file extensions you can see what the extension is , it maybe that what you think the extension is might not be what you think it is

Rob

Charlie

Jan 30, 2013, 7:02:25 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I'm standing out here in the cold on my tablet typing this because we got out internets shut off for not paying the bill in time.
We'll be taking care of the payment tomorrow but till then, I'm kinda boned   :/

Philippe Boujon

Jan 30, 2013, 7:09:24 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Ouch, too bad. Well, we'll hopefully get the other characters made, and announced here, and you can make yours in relation to the group.

Not sure if it is relevant, but teamspeak has an app for iphone/android, however FG2 doesnt :)

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Charlie <Yahiko_n...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hey, I'm standing out here in the cold on my tablet typing this because we got out internets shut off for not paying the bill in time.
We'll be taking care of the payment tomorrow but till then, I'm kinda boned   :/

Philippe Boujon

Jan 30, 2013, 7:21:08 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Ok, for those joining me tonight, Hamachi, Teamspeak and FG2 are up and running. Official start time is 7:30pm, but I thought to open everything a little in advance.

Cheers
Philippe

Ceodryn

Jan 30, 2013, 9:53:54 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Devout and Kartigan for joining me tonight, and going through the FG2 "how-to"! Kartigan created a Dwarf Engineer with a trigger happy personnality, and Devout created an Initiate who speaks very closely to Sigmar.

Charlie, would you be able to connect with me, either Thursday, Friday or Sunday of this week (7:30 pm EST?) to go through FG2 how-to and create your character? Otherwise, would you be able to create your character on paper, and send it to me so that I can import it into FG2? It  would be nice though to get together to make sure all software are working before the 1st session.

You, Kartigan and Devout are welcome to discuss here about character creation since it's important you build a rounded group.The Gathering Storm is a great campaign, it has lots of social, traveling/exploration, but also some though fights. The characters need to be able to defend themselves, and/or the players are welcome to think of ways to gain advantages or not get into a fight (although sometimes the latter will be very very hard). Next Wednesday, 7:30 pm, we will start the campaign with an intro adventure to get you all used to FG2, called "Night of Blood" (WFRP 1st edition).

Finally, we need a 4th player (as Scott has bowed out). Anyone interested to join a weekly campaign, 7:30 pm EST (Wednesday as for now, but we may shift it to Tuesday)?

Cheers
Philippe

Fun Files:

dave russell

Jan 30, 2013, 10:05:15 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I would be game until it switches to tuesday. my tues is taken. but mon,wens,thursday are open for me.

Jan 30, 2013, 10:29:45 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hey, thanks a bunch to Philippe for creating the game and showing me the ropes.  He did a great job with the tutorial, helped me get everything installed properly, and really helped me get a handle on things.  Looks like it is going to be fun.

As far as characters go my dwarf (who's name is still probably TBD), is as Philippe mentioned an Engineer with a penchant for Blackpowder weapons (I'm taking suggestions on names for his blunderbuss, names like "Bessie" or "Gertie" or some such if anyone has any :) .  I plan on developing him into a proficient ranged fighter, as well as trying to work on his Intellect and the engineering side of things.  Obviously what sort of things I focus on inventing will depend on the group we wind up with.

Thanks again Philippe.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 31, 2013, 8:37:05 AM1/31/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dave, well, the group was discussing potentially moving to Tuesday evening, but we needed Charlie to weight on that discussion as he was absent last night. Let's see what is take is, then we can confirm the date.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 31, 2013, 1:44:45 PM1/31/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
My Estialian/Bretonnian Diestro was using a blunderbuss, and since he learned in Estalia, he called it "Gazpacho" because it was making a "bloody mess" :)

So, I brushed the Dwarf Engineering rules today and we made a couple mistakes last night:

While you can acquire an invention at character creation by buying the "talent", you then need at least 1 rank of Dwarf Engineering to be able to tinker it, i.e. add a fortune die or other die. Acquiring Dwarf Engineering simply means you have created the blueprint, not yet the invention.

So, if you decide to have your invention with a +1 Fortune, you will need to train Dwarf Engineering, and such give up another skill. OR, you can have the invention blueprints, and all parts to make it, but will need to actually make it in-game.

I thought of a great reason to send the engineer on the journey to Stormdorf (as well as the Initiate), and will post so in a couple days as background to the campaign.

Cheers
Philippe

Josiah Leis

Jan 31, 2013, 2:00:27 PM1/31/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

Ah, good point. I'll mull it over a bit and get back to you.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 31, 2013, 9:52:24 PM1/31/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Dave, and all, I just realized tonight looking at my calendar that I wouldnt be able to move the game to Tuesdays as I'll be playing locally am evening D&D4th game with my wife and friends. So, let's keep the game on Wednesdays, 7:30-~10:30pm

Dave, if you want, you can then be the 4th player. Keep in mind we are going to run The Gathering Storm campaign, which is at least 2 months of weekly ~3h gaming.

Since you know well FG2, you can simply create your character by discussing with the group here. If you need to get online with me, I can do so on Monday night.

Cheers
Philippe

dave russell

Jan 31, 2013, 10:05:41 PM1/31/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
SWEET. what do we have in the group. (btw the gathering storm is one of the mods that i own but never played so thats a bonus for me)  starting at rank 1?

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/wfrp3-virtual-rpg?hl=en.

dave russell

Jan 31, 2013, 10:14:11 PM1/31/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
so we have a dwarf  engineer, and a initiate of sigmar? what is the third in the group? a mage? How well is the engineer in a brawl. i could do mage, or i could do melee.  or get wierd and do a melee mage. LOL

Philippe Boujon

Jan 31, 2013, 10:34:17 PM1/31/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Charlie, the third was thinking to do a Mage but we haven't done his character yet, so this option is open yet. By the way, in term of races, no elves or ogres are allowed as starting characters.

The dwarf isn't really melee, he is more ranged. The initiate will probably evolve to have some melee. However both can hold their ground though, so a true warrior isn't critical anymore. Obviously, being Warhammer all characters need to be able to defend themselves.

Sent from my iPad

dave russell

Jan 31, 2013, 10:56:02 PM1/31/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
 ill do a social/noble type class that has a quick witt and quick fencing sword?  Nicodemas Vladmir Rasputin

Josiah Leis

Jan 31, 2013, 11:39:24 PM1/31/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Nice, I like the sound of a lightly armored fencer in front of my blunderbuss :P.  Seriously though I am probably going to develop my guy into a proficient ranged character, and utilize my inventions and Intellect to help shore up whatever area the group is weak in (or just make myself an even better ranged character :).

dave russell

Feb 1, 2013, 1:07:43 AM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
OK i just finished making Nicodemas Vladmir Rasputin, He is a Human Pistolier, but is most effective with his mount. (humphrey his riding horse) he will be more melee when he advances but due to Pistolier being the only noble/soldier basic i could find ill have to tough it out until i get to duelist or knight (havent decided 100% yet but im leaning to knight) first character i ever made with 0 talents but he needed the points to go to his starting cash so he can get the horse.

hes reckless so i put a lil extra in his toughness to help with fatigue. as well as making sure i met all requirements to take all the defense actions for free. (dodge, block, guarded stance, parry)

Dave--

Feb 1, 2013, 1:24:19 AM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Some disclaimers with this character, I have yet to play mounted and Noble rules, so that is why i chose him, but if i miss something while playing I dont take offense to being corrected and or reminded of rules that i may overlooked regarding these options or if i misunderstood a rule that i play incorrectly. (ill be learning these new rules as i go basically)

also, Do i need to download hamachi for this game? I hope not I HATE it, but alas Ill download it if it is needed!
Dave--

Sent: Friday, February 1, 2013 1:07 AM

Kartigan

Feb 1, 2013, 3:13:38 AM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, dave russell
Dave, just wanted to say that if you are wanting to play a more ranged focused Pistolier, I'm happy to switch my character around.  Either changing him up but keeping him an Engineer, or even changing careers.  Since Philippe said he has a good reason for a Dwarf Engineer to leave home I could keep that career to help with the story if he prefers (or adjust the story to match a new career).  Anyway, if you are wanting to do something like that just let me know.  Also I wouldn't worry about being unfamiliar with Noble rules, I've never used the Engineering rules before either and have already made 1 error with them at Character creation I need to adjust :D.

dave russell

Feb 1, 2013, 7:09:26 AM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

   I just wanted to share this, cuz the Dragon Age Tabletop RPG is a gem in the rough. if not for this system i never would have discovered warhammer fantasy Roleplay.  also Will says in his Blog that if this episode of his show Tabletop gets good reviews he plans to do MORE RPG's next season (if they get a second season)  so hopefully lot of people watch it and comment.
Dave--

Philippe Boujon

Feb 1, 2013, 7:50:13 AM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, dave russell
I like the sounds of a Pistolier. Quite honestly, I'll have to brush up on mounted and nobles rules as well :) but as I said to Kartigan and Devout, it is our campaign, and WFRP3 has so many mechanisms that I don't mind players reminding each other of the rules if something is forgotten.

Regarding Hamachi, unfortunately you do have to install it, as my router (a simple mifi device) doesn't allow me to modify the ports to allow FG2 pathways. Make sure you get the Unmanaged version. I never had a problem with it so far.

I'll load your character in FG2 for next Wednesday.

Cheers
Philippe

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 3:13 AM, Kartigan <josiah...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dave, just wanted to say that if you are wanting to play a more ranged focused Pistolier, I'm happy to switch my character around.  Either changing him up but keeping him an Engineer, or even changing careers.  Since Philippe said he has a good reason for a Dwarf Engineer to leave home I could keep that career to help with the story if he prefers (or adjust the story to match a new career).  Anyway, if you are wanting to do something like that just let me know.  Also I wouldn't worry about being unfamiliar with Noble rules, I've never used the Engineering rules before either and have already made 1 error with them at Character creation I need to adjust :D.

Philippe Boujon

Feb 1, 2013, 8:17:45 AM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, dave russell
So, we have an Initiate, an Engineer, and a Noble...you guys are definitely not qualifying for the gang of thug party sheet. This is going to be the most well off party I ever had :)

Dave, for your pistolier, you can, if you desire, get a real pistol instead of a crossbow pistol, but your pistol would have to be of a poor quality / damaged, +1 misfortune on your rolls, until you can spend the 2.5g to repair/improve it. It would cost you 2.5g to acquire that pistol which may not leave you much with anything else... so your choice.

Also, may I suggest you make him an Hochlander, since you studied with such a company. You can check Hero's Call (if you have it, or the library if you don't) to see the different abilities of Human regions. If you take an Hochlander, you may think of changing your specialization to benefit from your ability at the start.
You could also do an Ostlander or an Ostermarker, both regions rely heavily on light cavalry to fight the northern incursions.

Be careful of having too low of a Willpower. Stress increases fast in WFRP3, given all the bad stuff adventurers see. You would pass out at 5 stress. In my opinion, you may want to lower toughness a pt and raise WP. We wouldn't want the Pistolier to ride away in fear :). While toughness is obviously very useful, it is often not the wounds that will kill a PC, it's the critical wounds, mutations and insanities. Doing so would also allow you to spend 1 point in a Talent.

Cheers
Philippe

Philippe Boujon

Feb 1, 2013, 8:57:46 AM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Dave, keep in mind too that you have to buy the horse. A riding horse is 2g, which currently you just have enough to do so. Unfortunately, Pistoliers don't own their horses which is why you don't have it at character creation.

dave russell

Feb 1, 2013, 9:02:58 AM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
that is also why i did not start with a pistol, otherwise i could not afford the horse

Feb 1, 2013, 9:41:53 AM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

Yeah I saw that, fun episode and it looks like a good game.

Karma Kollapse

Feb 1, 2013, 9:42:06 AM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Doubt there'll be any trouble with Tabletop getting a second season. The channel seems to have been successful enough and Tabletop is their most popular show. Can't see them doing much more RPGs though, since they need more time than 30minutes to make a show from.

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 04:09:26 -0800
From: sehm...@yahoo.com
Subject: Will Weaton Plays Dragon age Tabletop RPG
To: wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

   I just wanted to share this, cuz the Dragon Age Tabletop RPG is a gem in the rough. if not for this system i never would have discovered warhammer fantasy Roleplay.  also Will says in his Blog that if this episode of his show Tabletop gets good reviews he plans to do MORE RPG's next season (if they get a second season)  so hopefully lot of people watch it and comment.
Dave--

Dave Russell

Feb 1, 2013, 4:10:09 PM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

The History of 'Nicodemus Vladmir Rasputin', and House Rasputin.

Many years ago Lady Sophia Helgenbren, a lesser of the nobles in Reikland became betrothed with Gustav Petre Rasputin of kislev. Gustav was a member of the Winged lancers and excelled greatly in horsemanship. The Rasputin House was beginning to loose favor due to the fact that a marriage with a Reiklander was not viewed kindly by the other Kislev nobles. so for that reason when the chaos armies invaded the Kislev nobles sent Rasputin's division of Winged lancers to meet them in battle, but the other nobles did not come to assist, and Gustav's division was defeated. Gustav fell in battle as was expected by the Kislevian Betrayal. When the word of Gustav's death reached Sophia she feared for her and her family’s life, so she fled Kislev back to her homeland of Reikland. taking up in Her fathers noble house, Sophia raised her children in a proper noble manner. but just as in kislev, the Reikland nobles began to hiss and show signs of displeasure with a Kislevian Noble Widow in the mix of the noble houses. so much that her father kicked her and her children out of the estate to fend for themselves. Sophia traveled to Ostermark where she met up with Gregory Gurney, the last surviving member of Gustav’s Division who had fled Kislev to Ostermark in disgust of the Kislev betrayal. In Ostermark Sophia raised her children, and Gregory made sure that the knowledge of horsemanship was passed down to Gustavo sons. so that they may pass them down to their sons. Years. past and just before Sophia's Sons became of age, a message came that her father was ill. despite the hatred she had for him she traveled to Reikland to be with her father in his final days. in those days Sophia's father was ashamed of the manner in which he treated his daughter , especially in the time of her loss. So in an attempt to make things right, since Helgenbren had no male heirs other than Sophia's sons, her father left her the Estate, but before doing so changed the house name from Helgenbren to Rasputin to honor her lost husband and the Rasputin children whom he never got the chance to know. This is how House Rasputin came to be in Reikland.

Nicodemus was a good boy, Born a noble in the house of Rasputin, known for their ranks in the Imperial cavalry over the years. But Nicodemus wanted more than riding horses, he wanted to be a leader. his vision of politics would redefine the role of the Rasputin house, one more dominant in the Empire Government and less that of a horse-clan. but alas, Nicodemus' father sent him to the Gurney Ranch, in Ostermark on his 9th Birthday, just as his father had done before him. there under the tutelage of Edward gurney Nicodemus learned to be a soldier, and most importantly how to be a mounted soldier. with the tactics taught down from the kislevian Winged Lancers. Nicodemus became very skilled in the art of war. and in his spare time he fueled his love of politics, many mock debate's he won with Edward as he sharpened his wit, to match his Sabre. And finally the time arrived, Edward informed Nicodemus that his training had come to an end, and he must return to Reikland and seek his position in the Imperial Cavalry. Nicodemus left Ostermark, and began his travel home, but some part of him knew that he would not be seeking to just Join the cavalry of the Empire like his father, but to lead them. It is on this journey home that our story starts...

Nicodemus Vladmir Rasputin, Is 6' 250lbs, he has Black hair that crowns his head like an unkept mop, his hair often covered by his Cavalry helm. He wears a military suit of chain-mail that was passed down to him from his father, and his fathers father. around the chain-mail is a finely decorated leather belt of Kislevian design. it holds many pouches which various trinkets are kept safe. among them hangs a Sabre which also has its scabbard hanging from a shoulder strap that frames Nicodemus' Chest. Out of the face gap of the cavalry helm, is Nicodemus bright Blue eyes Reikland eyes. Offset buy his Kislevian Goatee which is short but shagged and untamed. Nicodemus holds himself with solid confidence and considers himself to be more Gentleman than Soldier, and believes that all confrontation should be discussed before blood must be shed. during his training in Ostermark Nicodemus has bested a sort of lesser beasts and green-skins, enough to prove to Edward Gurney that he was ready to make the trip to Reikland. on his Graduation Edward awarded Nicodemus with Humphrey, the very prized Kislevian Riding Horse that was used him Nicodemus training. Nicodemus nakes pride in his mount and will often spend many hours grooming and caring for his new friend. to insult or wound Humphrey would be to insult or wound Nicodemus. Humphrey is Dark Brown, with a shiny coat thanks to Nicodemus' care. he wears a leather harness with brass & steel fittings that Nicodemus keeps polished. on Humphrey is a saddlebag with Nicodemus' inventory. along with a side mounted quiver that hold 24 bolts at the ready. on the other side in a nicely crafted Kislevian crossbow holster hangs Nicodemus' trusty hand crossbow. the saddle itself has a flowing pennant of the House Rasputin which is the Helgenbren Cross with a Kislevian Bear in Purple and yellow. the saddle has also been modified so that when Nicodemus rides his Shield which he slings on his back no longer bumps into the back end of the saddle. Nicodemus is often seen either practicing his swordsmanship singing his sabre at his shadow, or on top of Humphrey reading a book of politics while chewing on a sliver of cane-grass.

Philippe Boujon

Feb 1, 2013, 5:13:11 PM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Very nice background. I like how House Rasputin became a minor noble house of Reikland.

One tiny detail, when Nicodemus is reading his book of politics, he is really only looking at pictures, because without the advanced skill Education, characters are not literate, even Noble... that's the sad truth of a grim medieval renaissance world ;)

Josiah Leis

Feb 1, 2013, 5:18:08 PM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

Hah, a grim and perilious world indeed. I like the backstory a lot, nice job.

Philippe Boujon

Feb 1, 2013, 5:35:10 PM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
By the way, I have a reason for each of you to go/be where the start of the campaign is. You will actually not known each other beforehand (except maybe if Charlie do a Gold Mage, in which case he and the dwarf may know each other). The intro adventure is meant to throw you, right away, into a situation where you will learn to trust each other.

Josiah Leis

Feb 1, 2013, 9:02:12 PM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
So I worked out a background for my Dwarf Engineer:

Yorri
Skalfsson was destined to be an engineer.  Not only were numerous members of his family and clan engineers, but Yorri was always, always looking at things and then trying to make them better.  He was keenly observant, silently watching and thinking, but then would frequently jump in, without permission (much to the chagrin of his elders) and "fix" things.  Of course most of the time this just backfired horribly, but he got it right often enough for the Guild of Engineers to see his potential and induct him into their membership (even if they did say his improvements were shoddy and had to be undone).

The machinations of various devices in the dwarf hold wasn't all Yorri observed though.  He also watched closely from a very young age and noticed something very disturbing.  His race was dying.  It was a slow death to be sure, but a steady decline was taking place before his eyes.  Listening quietly to the elders talk, as well as simple observation of the goings on around him made this very plain.  Greenskin hordes and Skaven schemes were whittling away at his race's strength and showed no signs of letting up.  If the situation did not change, the destruction of his people seemed certain.

This, as always when Yorri observed things, got him to thinking.  How could this problem be solved?  What could stop the steady encroachment of Greenskins and Skaven onto Dwarven holds?  He carefully observed all that the dwarves were doing to hold back the onslaught of their enemies (most of them from an engineering perspective naturally).  Ironbreakers in splendid Gromgril armor, well trained ranks of soldiers ready to stem the tide of their advancing enemies, masterfully built fortifications and traps, steam-powered war machinery, and of course, blackpowder for both guns and artillery.  All of it slowed the advance of their enemies to a crawl, but it was still not enough.

After observing the situation Yorri came to a conclusion.  Though all of the en-devours of the Guild of Engineers held merit, he believe that the advancement of gunpowder weaponry was where the hope for his people's salvation lay.  Faster, bigger, better, more reliable blackpowder weaponry, THAT was were the dwarves could win enough of an advantage over their enemies to finally defeat them once and for all.  Entire armies of dwarves equipped with nothing but the finest blackpowder weaponry the world has ever seen.  Crude melee weapons of iron and steel would become a thing of the past.  Naturally his elders told him he was insane, to shut up, listen to the longbeards, and become an honorable engineer.  So he did.  But all the while holding a secret desire to make radical improvements in dwarven blackpowder weaponry so that they could be used to finally defeat their enemies and save his race from their doom.

He actually volunteered to go and work in Ubersreik when the Guild opened up a chapter down there to help facilitate trade with the Humans.  Unlike his elders he does not simply dismiss human efforts at gunpowder weaponry as "crude and clearly inferior".  Granted, they might not be dwarven made, but if ideas could be gleaned from them and then applied to dwarven weapons, so much the better.  He actually got to see a Hochland Long Rifle demonstrated once.  The long beards of the guild were clearly unimpressed by it.  Yorri though, saw the master craftsmanship of the human made weapon.  So his studies continued.  Naturally he learned about all things related to dwarven engineering, but he paid close attention to everything related to blackpowder weapons (while studying human designs as well).  Finally, he started to work in secret on his schematics for improving blackpowder weapons.  Unfortunately for Yorri, his elders found the plans despite his trying to keep them a secret.  Naturally he was then mocked and his ideas disdained, before being sent on this ridiculous mission.  Yorri initially viewed the mission as a punishment (which in a way it is), but has since come to like the idea.  Being away from his elders prying eyes for awhile will give him the chance to further his work.  Also being abroad will give him opportunity to see more examples of human applications of gunpowder and gunpowder weaponry.  Finally, the opportunity to be off and work by himself for awhile will give him the chance to amass wealth which is of vital importance to him (see further below under goals).

Other important notes:

Yorri's most prized possession is his Blunderbuss which he has affectionately named "The Ambassador" (because it helps get people to "see things his way").  The gun was lovingly crafted by his own two hands (with of course much oversight from the long-beards of the guild to make sure he "did it right" and maintained dwarven standards of craftsmanship).  In reality the gun is simply a standard dwarven blunderbuss.  But Yorri keeps it in exceptional condition, and has decorated it with the symbols of his clan and two scarlet colored, fire-breathing dragons on either side of the barrel.  He is eager to tinker with it, as well as eventually acquire all manner of blackpowder weapons to make "modifications" to.  Someway, somehow, he will make his elders see the wisdom of his designs.  Until then, he'll just keep working to perfect them, and The Ambassador will be the first in a new wave of weaponry.

There are five main problems with blackpowder weaponry that Yorri aims to correct:

1. They are too unreliable.
2. They take too long to load.
3. Their bullets can sometimes be stopped by armor or other shielding.
4. The powder that powers them is too easily ruined.
5. They are too inaccurate.

Though Yorri doesn't know it, he is attempting to make designs of more modern weaponry.  Things like bullets instead of using shot and powder, rifled barrels for increased accuracy, higher velocity ammunition for greater penetration, better optics for improved vision, even rapid fire weaponry like machine guns.  He dreams of things similar to these, or at least things that can achieve the same results as these, he just has no idea how to build them yet.

Personality

Yorri's default stance is Conservative.  You don't get to be an Engineer if you go off half-cocked all the time (well, at least you don't get to be one for very long).  However, though he is often prudent or thoughtful, he is certainly not above being quite reckless at times (disregarding the "wisdom" of his elders, jumping in to fix a situation or device if he see a solution).  Thus, although he will often approach a situation with a more Conservative attitude, he's not above rushing into situations, or throwing caution to the wind when attempting to fix a problem.  This is especially true if he is very emotionally involved in the problem, or if he is feeling frustrated at a lack of progress toward solving it (he doesn't mind slow, steady progress; however being stymied completely will often times lead to him growing more reckless in his efforts).

Other Races

Yorri naturally looks on humans (at least those from the empire) as allies (as most dwarves do), viewing them as valuable assets in the effort to save his people.  He also naturally distrusts Elves as all dwarves do, though truth be told, not nearly as much as many dwarves might.  This is because he does not view them as an immediate threat to his people's survival.  Worthy of bearing a grudge against to be sure, but not really something to get all thatworked up about, when much more serious threats are out there (namely Greenskins and Skaven, and to a little lesser extent, the spreading threat of Chaos in general).  Ogres and halflings he is rather indifferent toward, though maybe harboring a slight distrust of Ogres due to their size and the fact that they sometimes work with Greenskins.

Greenskins and Skaven of course, are the two most significant threats to his people and he views them with nothing short of abject hatred.  They are to be universally destroyed whenever encountered, with no exceptions.  Yorri would go well out of his way if he thought he could significantly disrupt the efforts of any members of these races from accomplishing....well from accomplishing anything really.

B.I.G.

I've heard in other RPGs of using Beliefs, Goals, and Instincts as fun ways to help flesh out your character's initial outlook on life.  Doing so I would come up with the following:

Belief (my characters overarching outlook on life in general):  My people's only hope for salvation from their assured destruction lies in the advancement of gunpowder weaponry, even if the elders are too stubborn to see it.

Goals (my characters immediate ambition):  Amass wealth, lots and lots of wealth (There are two reasons for this: 1.  All dwarves crave wealth in order to build a horde for their clan's honor, Yorri is no exception - 2.  In order to save his people he will need to craft superior blackpowder weapons, doing so will take large amounts of money.  This is both to buy various examples of gunpowder weaponry, as well as use the money to finance his engineering designs and components.

Instinct (my character initial reaction to things, when not much forethought is involved):  If they won't listen to reason, they'll listen to The Ambassador (Yorri is not an unreasonable dwarf and will certainly try to look for a peaceful solution if possible (it is usually his first approach to a situation).  However he is not patient and when stymied, frequently resorts to violence or aggressively direct confrontation to accomplish his goals.)

Appearance

Yorri is somewhat short, even for a dwarf (just about 4 foot), and is also a bit thin by dwarven standards (though still stocky compared to most humans).  This more lithe build though has given him a natural advantage in engineering (deft hands and the ability to fit into smaller spaces), as well as the operation of delicate engineering machinery and ranged weapons.  His hair is as pitch black as the powder he so lovingly works with and his once bushy eyebrows (which he is frequently burning off either partially or completely, thus they always appear to be in a state of growth) hide large brown eyes.  His beard is of average length for his age (which is to say short for the average dwarf), and he wears it neatly gathered together with a silver ring bearing the symbol of his clan, usually tucking it into his belt (though it isn't really quite long enough to do that with yet, but he thinks it makes him look older).  Other notable features include fingers that seem permanently stained black, a large bulbous nose, tattoos of the dwarven words for "Duty" and "Honor" (one on the underside of each forearm), and a tattoo of a dwarf riding a dragon that is breathing fire on what appear to be greenskins and rats across his chest.  His clothing is of the sturdy make a decently well-to-do engineer would wear, but is not really anything too out of the ordinary.

Philippe Boujon

Feb 1, 2013, 9:10:23 PM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Very well done Josiah, and as I already told you, I like the BIG a lot!

In a couple days, I'll post what is the "mission" that each character has been assigned. Obviously, while I post it here for everyone to enjoy, you will each decide how much to tell your companions... once you meet them.

DevoutBadger

Feb 1, 2013, 9:23:52 PM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I fear my mission is going to be learning how to dodge blunderbuss pellets.

dave russell

Feb 1, 2013, 10:05:30 PM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
thats ok ,you can ride on the horse with me, above the range of fire of the lil' guy! LOL

Feb 1, 2013, 10:06:07 PM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

Ubersreik, Dwarf Engineering Guild - Early Evening: A young Dwarf Engineer is standing in front of three not happy Long Beards

*Grmph* *Grmph* *Ahem* Hmmmph, yes, young Yorri is it? Hmmm, designing a new invention for black powder weapons... *Tsss Tsss Tsss*... What are you thinking?! Do you think our current weapons are not good enough? And what is your invention doing anyway? It allows to see further? Why, are your eyes not good enough? I can see very well with mine! *Tss Tss Tss* *Sigh* Short beards...Hmmmph....Since you are so eager, we have an important task for you!

The Guild of Engineer has nearly ran out of an important fuel. That particular fuel is provided by the humans, from a small town, called Stormdorf. We always had good relation with them, but since a couple months, shipment have become scarce.

You are to travel to Stormdorf, find out why that is, and remedy to the situation whatever way you find best. Just make sure shipments of the Thunderwater Ale resume! Well... what are you waiting? Do you need your invention to see the door? *Grmph* *Grmph*

[Fade to]

Ubersreik, Temple of Sigmar, Dawn - An initiate is restlessly sleeping, dreaming...

Dark stormy clouds... lightning... rain, oh so much rain... A small town, Stormdorf, the storm town... Two big guns facing... Beastmen, a herd, praying a dark stone... A gigantic wave, deep blue, crashing against the town walls, over the big guns, flooding the town, destroying the town, erasing the town... A comet parting the clouds...

*Gasp* The initiate is waking up, sweating. Sigmar! What a powerful vision it was! I need to go, Stormdorf. Sigmar, I have heard you!

[Fade to]

Ubersreik, Red Moon Inn, Early Afternoon - A young comely noble in the Pistolkorp livery is appreciating a glass of Bretonnian red with his lunch while discussing with a somber older man

Why Herr Liesken, I am at your service of course and of your master! What is the Von Jungfreud family in need of me and my good Humpfrey?

[...]

Well, of course I will ride to Stormdorf and investigate why the taxes revenues have been dwindling. Yes, don't worry, I will make sure then to seek audience with your master's man there, Burgomeister Adler, and help him remedy to the situation. I will ride right away... well, that is, after I finish this excellent red! Oh don’t worry, Humpfrey is fast, I have all the afternoon in front of me...

[Fade to]

Deserted Road to Stormdorf, Dusk

A storm suddenly breaks. Strong winds are making it very hazardous to continue. The rain falls in torrents from the dark, roiling clouds. Overhead, lightning flashes across the sky.

The Initiate of Sigmar and the Dwarf Engineer are walking briskly, set upon making it to the next coaching inn. They have met only minutes ago when the human tired long legs caught up to the Dwarf short strides. A

 neigh is suddenly heard from behind them. A rider is approaching, an Emperor’s Pistolier for that matter. The horse is slipping in the mush that the road has become, but the rider is competent. How long more will he be able to ride though? Not long!

Unfortunately, this being the Empire, it is not safe simply to stop and wait for the storm to pass. Any strange creatures live in the forest, and few of these are likely to be sheltering from the storm. In the distance the strangled cry of some creature can be heard. It is a night to be indoors, for who knows what lurks under the dark trees in the Empire’s forests...

dave russell

Feb 1, 2013, 11:50:42 PM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to ask Phillippe, what software are we using for voice?  skype? teamspeak? Ventrillo?

Feb 2, 2013, 12:32:47 AM2/2/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

Nice intro Phillipe :-).

Out of curiousity have you heard back from Charlie? Is he going to be our 4th?

Ceodryn

Feb 2, 2013, 6:29:43 AM2/2/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
No, unfortunately I havent heard from Charlie. Since we have at least 3 players, I thought to wait if he comes on Wednesday, otherwise we can recruit a 4th for the following time.

Dave, below are the connections information:

[...]

DevoutBadger

Feb 4, 2013, 9:36:22 PM2/4/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I've been a bit swamped and have falling behind in my projects this week. So since I'm largely using a copy of my OWL character I'm going to use a variant of his background too. I love it anyways and it will work well in the game I think.

---------

Hagen grew up in a poor farming family in the middle of nowhere. Not a particularly devout person, he thought little of the world outside of his small home, like most young boys. In his 11th year, the small community he lived in was attacked by a small beastman herd. While not numerous, the herd was more than a match for the scattered and terrified farmers unused to such attacks living in a fairly peaceful area. Hagen survived by being hidden in the root cellar by his mother before the beastmen killed her. For two days he hid there alone and scared listening to the terrible sounds of Chaos outside. On that second day the sounds of violence erupted once more, but this time it was the beastmen who howled in pain and fear as a clear voice called out prayers to Mighty Sigmar. Soon silence came and that human voice, the first human voice the boy had heard for what felt like eternity, called out for survivors.

The short time that boy traveled with that priest of Sigmar made a great impression on him, even if at the time he was too young and distracted to notice. He would often look back to that time with great affection and be stunned at the amount of wisdom that priest gave to him in such a short time. He came to understand there was a greater world, a whole Empire full of people,
who lived and worked and loved and fought together, with enemies of all kinds on all sides. And while people of Sigmar's Empire are strong folk with mighty armies and great faith, able to weather any storm; everyone from time to time, can use a hand. That is where individual priests of Sigmar can help, traveling where they are needed, helping wherever they can, making the Empire a better place than before--sometimes with a strong back, sometimes with a prayer, sometimes with a kind word and sometimes with a hammer.

Years ago that wandering priest left young Hagen in a small temple of Sigmar, where he could find a home and be raised to be an initiate. While the temple was small, poor and out of the way, he took to his studies and work well, growing up strong in body and faith. While never much of an academic, Hagen enjoyed learning to read to study the cult and history of the Empire as well as their allies the dwarfs, even going so far as to learning a bit of the dwarfen language.

Years passed and in his 16th year, the old priest who mentored Hagen told him it was time to move on and see more of the world. He prepared an introduction for the young initiate to go to the temple in Ubersriek and learn there in the "big city" for a time. While Hagen likes access to so many people in need and being able to lend a hand so easily, he doesn't find the temple to feel much like home. The priests of the temple view him as an outsider and while he is a devoted follower of Sigmar and believer in the Empire, he always felt like helping people came before punishing them. So he finds himself spending as much time as possible outside of the temple, amongst the people of the town and surrounding areas. This doesn't do any more to endear him to the local hierarchy.

Hagen is a young, rough looking youth with a solid build, with dark eyes and sun touched skin. Aside from his few days old shaved head, he looks more like a peasant that mugged a Sigmarite than a proper priest himself. His clothes and armor are worn and dirty, his simple hammer is solid but old and battered, and his travelling bag a bit treadbare. Even his holy symbol is clearly a hand-me-down, if well cared for and often handled.

It is loading more messages.