How to play WFRP3 through Maptool

Ceodryn

Apr 24, 2012, 8:45:47 PM4/24/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

To play WFRP3 virtual through Maptool, you will need the following:

  • Maptool
    • Maptool version 1.3.b87 can be downloaded here. You will simply need to unZip the file to a folder of your choice.
      • Newer versions of Maptool may be available, however the latest WFRP3 Campaign Ruleset was created for the 1.3.b87 version of Maptool, and while it may be compatible with later versions, I'd recommend using version 1.3.b87.
    • Install Java 1.6 or later to run Maptool

  • The latest WFRP3 Campaign Ruleset for Maptool, available on Gitzman's Gallery
    • Download the Gitzmans WFRP3 Campaign Template.  The .CPMG file will be compressed in a .RAR file, and will need to be opened and uncompressed with WinRAR (or other compression tools).
    • Place the .CPMG in your Maptool folder, or any folder where you plan to keep your Maptool adventures. To open the campaign file, launch MapTool, then select File -> Open,  and browse to the campaign file.
    • When launching Maptool, the user is presented with a small dialogue box to allocate system memory to Maptool.  The values suggested for WFRP3 are:
      • Max  Memory: 1024
      • Min Memory: 256
      • Stack Size:  5
    • Read the readme file available with the campaign file

  • LogMeIn Hamachi Unmanaged
    • LogMeIn Hamachi is not required to play through Maptool, but the GM and players hosting Maptool may then need to tweak their firewall and internet router settings. Hamachi creates a virtual private network that circumvents the firewall and allows players to connect easily to the GM. Basically, Hamachi makes it simpler!
    • Make sure you download and install the unmanaged version
      • The GM/host will install, update and launch Hamachi and "create a new network", with a unique Network ID.  He will also receive a unique IP address associated with that Network ID.  Future launch of Hamachi will reconnect the network previously created.
      • All players will install, update and launch Hamachi. They will need to "join an existing network" and enter the Network ID provided by the GM/host.
      • Once the players have joined the GM/host Hamachi network, the GM/host can then launch Maptool and select "file -start a server" as usual, nothing more is required on the GM/host end.
      • The players can then launch Maptool, and select "file -> connect to server". A window will appear, with several tabs. They will need to go to the "Direct" tab and enter in the address field, the direct IP address of the GM/host Hamachi network, and click "ok"

  • WFRP3 Adventures for Maptool are available on Gitzman's Gallery

  • The Reckless Dice Podcast has run a Maptool Social & Demo Adventure, available for download and listening here
Cheers
Ceodryn

Ceodryn

May 11, 2012, 9:04:55 PM5/11/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

All,

I was just made aware of an issue with Maptool & Hamachi.

The current version of Maptool, when starting a server, always pick up the host home network IP address, and does NOT pick up the virtual IP address created by Hamachi virtual private network.

Therefore, currently, there seems to be no other way to host Maptool for a GM than to edit the router settings as described in the Maptool Networking FAQ. There may be hope that future versions of Maptool allows to choose what direct IP address to host with. Also, it may be possible that Hamachi Managed version be used, but I need to do more testing before to say so.

If anyone has any experience with using Maptool with Hamachi (or another VPN), please chime in.

Cheers

Ceodryn

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Aspects

Nov 20, 2012, 2:30:47 PM11/20/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
This is probably old news, but our group was conducting a dry run with Maptools with a friend who moved out of state.  After starting Hamachi, and without any modifications to the router, our remote player was able to connect to the Maptools server using the Hamachi IP of my hosting laptop.  Perhaps this issue has been fixed in a recently build?

Joe.

Aspects

Nov 20, 2012, 2:33:32 PM11/20/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I need to clarify that the remote player was also running Hamachi and was also a member of the same unmanaged network as my laptop.

Joe.

Philippe Boujon

Nov 20, 2012, 2:59:24 PM11/20/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joe, it's likely it has been fixed! I am not a big maptool user for WFRP so I am happy to hear it worked. I may use maptool more often next year to possibly run Star Wars Edge of the Empire.

Sent from my iPhone

Daniel Wise

Nov 20, 2012, 3:03:28 PM11/20/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
The Olde Galaxy League?

Philippe Boujon

Nov 20, 2012, 3:16:42 PM11/20/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hehe, why not... SWEotE will just be one off sometimes games, while I still want to get a WFRP campaign going.

Sent from my iPhone

Grolsch Van Eyke

Nov 25, 2012, 7:34:12 PM11/25/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
No ones going to make a FG rule set for it in their free time ?

Philippe Boujon

Nov 25, 2012, 8:12:07 PM11/25/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Yes some are working on it, but in the meantime, maptool may be fine.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 25, 2012, at 7:34 PM, Grolsch Van Eyke <seajac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No ones going to make a FG rule set for it in their free time ?

suntzu

Feb 1, 2013, 1:27:26 PM2/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
this maybe of interest to some maptool users , there is an option to store your game file on a web server , i have done this for some of my campaigns where the files are more than 100Mb as it means if you have 5 players then you would need to upload a total of 500Mb which for most users is quite a lot so here is how you store your stuff on a server and have the players download from there which in turn will help your game run better

so here you go

A campaign repository is a set of files (mostly images) that are used in a campaign. By hosting a repository someplace other than the GM's computer you can help speed up the image download time of your players, making the game run smoother in general.

You must have some externally hosted web space to properly use a repository. Many ISPs give you some space you can use for this type of purpose. If your ISP does not provide this you can usually find cheap (and even free, in some cases) web hosting if you search around.

Unless you are running MapTool from a really beefy server-class machine on a T1 connection (or you picked a really bad web server) you're almost guaranteed that clients will be able to download files from any hosted web storage faster than they will from your machine. This is one of the main benefits of a repository.

[edit] Creating a repository

To create a repository file, open your campaign in MapTool and go to File -> Export -> Campaign Repository File. This will create a zip file that contains the repository information.

Unzip the file. (This is very important! MapTool cannot use the repository if it remains zipped!) Inside should be a folder called "assets" and a file called index.gz. Upload both the assets folder and the index.gz file to your web storage. Make sure they are in the same directory. (Do not put the index.gz file inside the assets folder. It should be at the same level as the assets folder.)

Make a note of the URL for to your index.gz file. You can test the URL by typing it or copying and pasting it into your browser's address bar. If you have the address right you should see a page full of letters and numbers that won't mean much to you.

In MapTool, go to Edit -> Campaign Properties then go to the Repositories tab. Delete any links that are already there, then add the URL of your index.gz file.

Save your campaign. Now when clients connect to your server they will get the campaign files from the repository online instead of your PC.

If you make changes to your campaign file you will need to re-export the campaign repository file and re-upload it to your web space. You will not need to re-add the URL to the Repositories tab of the Campaign Properties unless you changed the location where your files are being kept.