The Olde World League - A Non-Persistent & Multi-GMs Campaign for WFRP3 online

Ceodryn

Jun 5, 2012, 6:36:48 AM6/5/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

The Olde World League is a Warhammer world wide multi-GMs campaign created for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition. The League was created by Daniel Wise aka Fenderstat and Philippe Boujon aka Ceodryn to foster virtual online roleplaying through the use of Fantasy Grounds II (FG2) or Maptool software.

The Concept

The League aims to free up online GMs from the rigor of a standard online campaign by proposing:

  • A background story: The Olde World League is a co-op of adventurers headed by a very wealthy benefactor, Lord Diedrich Tenerfield and headquartered in Marienburg with chapters throughout the Old World. Why was it created? Only Lord Tenerfield knows! Some of its chapters are more alike to mercenary companies, some to investigative agencies, some to exploring guilds, etc… but all are fighting the forces of darkness. Or are they?
  • Round-robin GMing: GMs can run short adventures, yet join other adventures ran by other GMs within The League. Everyone can GM! Everyone can play!
  • A world to explore: From one adventure to the other, the PCs can jump from one end of the Warhammer world to the other. How are PCs travelling there? The League has the mean to bring them there. It allows GMs to explore area of the world rarely played in, such as the Border Princes, Lustria, Albion, etc…
  • Advancing PCs: PCs can choose to join any of the adventures proposed by The League’s GMs and can use their character from one adventure into the other. Advancement from one GM’s adventure can carry into the next GM’s adventure. The League’s Obsidian Characters page allows for tracking of characters.

How do I join?

First, go and join the Olde World League Obsidian PortalThen, create your character on The League’s Obsidian Character page. If you are new to WFRP3 and need a GM to walk you through the character creation, ask on this Google Group.

Finally, look for announcement on the Google Group of short adventures, and reply with your interest.

It’s all very simple, we all want to play :)!

Cheers
Ceodryn & Fenderstat

Daniel Wise

Jun 5, 2012, 7:44:12 AM6/5/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
"The idea of the league is to have multiple GMs and players playing, the idea is to have the characters you play as transferable to any GM.  The League is not a persistent campaign world but there is nothing stopping a GM running a persistent campaign through it.  Think of every League GM as an mmo instance, it's own little private experience that doesn't affect the world as a whole, your character can still travel from instance to instance and gain exp in either one.  Another feature of the league is that you can have multiple characters to a player so if we want to lock a character in cutlass's group (or cutlass requires you to lock a character in so he can control your rate of advancement) and still play in others just create another guy, your characters are still valid as long as you keep their advances up to date in the character template in the character page.

There's no real continuity to the setting, the league is supposed to be a games hub with a little back story in it to justify the wide variety of adventures and characters, don't think of it as a campaign with a persistent world.  If the characters are League mercenaries it's incredibly easy for the GM to justify them doing any adventure he can think of, and it's also a reason to justify persistent character experience, a higher level character just means he went on more "missions"

Taken from an email where I was explaining the idea behind the League.  If you have any questions please ask, and could all League games be posted here to avoid potential confusion until we sort something concrete out.

Thanks,

Dan.

Ceodryn

Jun 5, 2012, 8:32:50 AM6/5/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
What I would suggest, for now, to announce games for the Olde World League (OWL) is to do the following:
- Create a thread within the google group with a clear title, for ex: OWL FG2 Game - Sunday, June 24th, 6 pm EDT/GMT-4 - Up to 4 Players. That way, the dedicated thread can be used for the GM and players to discuss logistic and not clutter this thread.
- Post under this Olde World League thread the link to the game announcement on the google group, and leave it at that.

Let's discuss next week how we can change that to make it better. At worse, if we feel the Google Group isn't the best medium, we can easily shift to a different medium.

Cheers
Philippe

Karma Kollapse

Jun 7, 2012, 4:34:18 PM6/7/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I assume there's no problem with having two characters for different sessions? I had created two characters before I went on holiday, one for Cutlass's campaign and one for general use, not thinking they would both be part of OWL :)

Daniel Wise

Jun 7, 2012, 4:48:26 PM6/7/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Not a problem.

fictionalbeing

Jun 8, 2012, 4:12:35 PM6/8/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Do you need an email invite to join the obsidian portal group?

Daniel Wise

Jun 8, 2012, 8:28:49 PM6/8/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Yes you do.  I sent you the invite.

Ceodryn

Jun 10, 2012, 2:19:14 PM6/10/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
For those interested in joining,  you first need to create an Obsidian account, then favourite the Olde World League on the Obisidian Portal.

Once done with that, just post your Obsidian account handle, and Dan will then invite you in.

Cheers
Ceodryn

JohnC

Oct 6, 2012, 10:02:51 AM10/6/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
ok I have favourited the campaign, my obsidian portal handle is "princeearwig" I think??

Philippe Boujon

Oct 6, 2012, 12:16:28 PM10/6/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Invitation on its way!

Sent from my iPhone

tell

Oct 13, 2012, 9:17:12 AM10/13/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Lo! Just rolled up a character and favorited the league. Profile is Tell. Where do I go from here?
Cheers Tel

Philippe Boujon

Oct 13, 2012, 9:41:32 AM10/13/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tell, I just invited you into the OWL, so you can go ahead and enter your character. Then, it's a matter if a game popping up.

Where are you located in term if timezone?

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 13, 2012, at 9:17 AM, tell <thete...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lo! Just rolled up a character and favorited the league. Profile is Tell. Where do I go from here?
> Cheers Tel

tell

Oct 16, 2012, 8:14:06 AM10/16/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the invite . I added my char to the player charcter section. I'm Australian EST, so thats gmt+10

Martin

Nov 8, 2012, 8:14:22 AM11/8/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Okay, favorited the campaign, and my handle is Spivo

/Martin

Martin

Nov 8, 2012, 9:35:04 AM11/8/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Is there a good format to use, in regards of getting your character's stats and such, into the description area...? :)

Philippe Boujon

Nov 8, 2012, 9:54:02 AM11/8/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
There is a template character that you can copy/paste the code. Click on characters, and the template should be at the top.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 8, 2012, at 9:35 AM, Martin <martin...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there a good format to use, in regards of getting your character's stats and such, into the description area...? :)

Martin

Nov 8, 2012, 11:06:36 AM11/8/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Think I managed to send a notice to all... sorry for that, was not intended :)

Still lacking to fill character sheet... and then find a campaign :P

thePREdiger

Nov 8, 2012, 12:59:44 PM11/8/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
favourited the OWL - nickname: thePREdiger

suntzu

Jan 5, 2013, 6:54:28 AM1/5/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Could you email me an an invite as well ,

thanks

Rob

Philippe Boujon

Jan 5, 2013, 8:50:44 AM1/5/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hey Rob, I just tried to invite RobHeath (as I got an email you favorited the campaign with that name), but that handle doesn't exist anymore in Obsidian? Did you delete your account? Otherwise I'll try again later today.

Cheers
Ceodryn

Rob Heath

Jan 5, 2013, 8:52:14 AM1/5/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
nope , changed my name to suntzu ,  , was doing some updates

Rob

suntzu

Jan 5, 2013, 10:37:43 AM1/5/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Can you try again , Google + has been acting up  , had to swap my username back , it is now "RobHeath"

Thanks

Rob

DevoutBadger

Jan 8, 2013, 6:40:49 PM1/8/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Do I make a character first then post here or just post here? Not quite sure how I get a character into the Obsidian Portal group.

I made a DevoutBadger account there.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 8, 2013, 8:03:21 PM1/8/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
You can make a character anytime in the Obsidian Portal (you first need to favorite the campaign, and you'll be invited to become a member). If you then click on character, you'll find a link to create your own. There is a template you can copy/paste. Once you have a character, it's simply a matter to wait for a game announced on this google group.

Cheers
Ceodryn

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM, DevoutBadger <ronin....@gmail.com> wrote:
Do I make a character first then post here or just post here? Not quite sure how I get a character into the Obsidian Portal group.

I made a DevoutBadger account there.

DevoutBadger

Jan 8, 2013, 10:15:37 PM1/8/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Ah ha! I think I have it all figured out, I just believe I am waiting for an invite and... I'll have to decide what kind of character to make... this sounds stressful, so many wonderful options! I've never had a chance to play before!

Kilsern

Jan 9, 2013, 10:00:10 AM1/9/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Badger, it looks like Philippe has you all squared away. If you want, get in touch with me and prior to game day I will help you get all squared away, we could Skype.

DevoutBadger

Jan 29, 2013, 1:44:13 PM1/29/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Is there anyone who checks out the OWL characters? Check them for errors or whatever?

dave russell

Jan 29, 2013, 1:45:15 PM1/29/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
the OWL Police? LOL

Is there anyone who checks out the OWL characters? Check them for errors or whatever?

Philippe Boujon

Jan 29, 2013, 2:43:20 PM1/29/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Not really, although when I GMed one off adventures I always checked the characters that joined my session, simply to see what they had. I didn't do any in depth check though.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 29, 2013, at 1:44 PM, DevoutBadger <ronin....@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there anyone who checks out the OWL characters? Check them for errors or whatever?

DevoutBadger

Jan 29, 2013, 2:50:36 PM1/29/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Just curious, as it occured to me you can notify people of updates when you modify your character and don't know if there was a central person who took a quick look at the sheets to make sure they were all in one piece, as some of the advancment things can get confusing sometimes.

Karma Kollapse

Jan 29, 2013, 3:06:41 PM1/29/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I updated whatever GM I was about to play with/just finished playing with. I'm not sure if it was helpful or not.

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:50:36 -0800
From: ronin....@gmail.com
To: wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

Philippe Boujon

Jan 29, 2013, 3:36:29 PM1/29/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, <wfrp3-virtual-rpg@googlegroups.com>
It was helpful. As the group manager, I get all notices, and sometimes when I am board, I look at what chars exist, especially those I haven't had the chance to play with. While I often correct cosmetic mistakes (ie rows going haywire in obsidian) and have a quick look whether a char is ok, there are so many ways to end up with a given char that I don't go into depth.

Sent from my iPhone

Daniel Wise

Jan 30, 2013, 6:29:00 PM1/30/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I check them before a session.  They have been mostly correct.  I'll be sure to make an NPC in my next OWL adventure who will be a Colour Sergeant who will give the PC's a drill check on how slovenly they look.  "atttteeeeennnnSHUN!  RIIIIIGGGGGHHHHTTTT DRESS!!!!".  It'll be just like I'm back at police academy.