Other Games

Kilsern

Feb 27, 2013, 12:08:47 PM2/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
In the spirit of what version of WFRP are you, I'm curious, what other games do you play that you dig, and what games have you wanted to try but never have?

Me: when not mucking around in the Old World, I enjoy D&D. I've tried most incarnations, but prefer the retro clone Basic Fantasy RPG. I also enjoy Tunnels and Trolls (5.5) and recently played Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. Past favorites are Star Trek (LUG) - ran a year long campaign with it and loved it. This is D&D, but I was huge into the Birthright setting and played with it for a game that lasted nearly two years.

Games I've never tried but want to: Traveller. I own so much Traveller stuff but have never given it a go. Pendragon and Ars Magika have both enchanted me, but thus far no dice. I can't remember the name proper, but White Wolfs Changeling: the Adjective looks entertaining along with Mage: the Ascension. Call of Cthulhu. I'm not sure how I've never played CoC. I'm a big Lovecraft fan. My most recent want to play additions are Barbarians of Lemuria, Mouse Guard and Marvel Heroic RPG. The last two look completely engaging with their system rules alone.

John Condon

Feb 27, 2013, 12:43:40 PM2/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Sheesh, you name it and i have probably played or Ref'ed it at some point over the years.
This list includes such titles as
Bunnies and Burrows
Tales of the Floating Vagabond
Too many versions of Runequest to worry about
HOL
SLA Industries
DragonRoar (with its audio cassette and humanoid penguin pc's)
Every incarnation of D&D (even a VERY short dalliance with 4e)
Ars Magica (with its wonderful troupe play.. the WotC (pre Magic the Gathering) release)
TORG
Paranoia
7th Sea
The original FASERIP Marvel Super Heroes system.
Hero System (including Champions) in all its guises
Everything White Wolf ever published (or at least it feels like it), including the Trinity of Aberrant, Adventure and Psion.
Traveller, again in all its guises.
Twilight 2000
Gamma World
Boot Hill (although I prefer the newer Weird West Rpgs)
Amber

and the list goes on and on and on.....

kils...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2013, 1:00:50 PM2/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I played a bit of Boot Hill back in the day. I had the most fun in college playing GURPS: Western mixed with GURPS Fantasy and GURPS High Tech with a splash of GURPS Horror. Basically, Cowboys, abducted by aliens, escape from said aliens with acquired high tech, crash land on a fantasy world ruled by a Necromancer.

Sent from my iPhone

kils...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2013, 1:05:21 PM2/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I used to come up with odd GURPS games using randomization. I would roll a d4 to determine how many source books I would combine, then assign a number to each (1 to 100), roll the appropriate number if percentiles and presto! Most were too weird to go beyond one or two sessions, but the Space Cowboys in Fantasy Land versus the Necromancer was popular and played out for several months.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 27, 2013, at 8:43 AM, John Condon <johnec...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Skellan

Feb 27, 2013, 1:35:31 PM2/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I have played:
D@D
ad&d
stormbringer
merp
rolemaster
vampie
toon
paranoia
shadowrun
judge dredd
star trek
star wars
elfquest
ghost busters
it came from the late show
spelljammer
tmnt
runequest

and probably some others i have forgotten. oh yeah wfrp 1 hehe

Radosław Grzanka

Feb 27, 2013, 2:20:25 PM2/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
  I played some "Spirit of the Century" - Fate based RPG, some "Cyberpunk 2020", "Neuroshima" - polish post apocayptic RPG, "Wolsung" - polish steampunky-kinda RPG (recently released in USA), "Dzikie Pola" - RPG game about polish nobles, "Pathfinder" and "Call of Cthulhu".

From this list I enjoyed the most "Call of Cthulhu", then "Wolsung", then "Neuroshima'.

I'm preparing also "Dark Heresy" campaign - you can watch introduction I did for players here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w4obDLTzWQ

As for games I would like to play but I will probably NEVER do:
- Monastyr - polish dark fantasy-kinda game.
- Dragon Age
- Eclipse Phase(!)
- Any Star Wars RPG
- Heavy Gear
- Mutant Chronicles
- Any GURPS base games

Never say never though - until recently I thought I will never play "Dark Heresy" ;)

Cheers,
  Radek.

steven swezey

Feb 27, 2013, 2:40:35 PM2/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Is that dark heresy game an online one accepting players? You definitely have my attention.

As for games I've played...
D&D 3.5
D&D 4e
Pathfinder
Hero system 5th ed revised
Shadowrun 4th edition
WFRP 2nd
WFRP 3rd
Star Wars Saga Edition
Star Wars Edge of the Empire
Dark Heresy
Rogue Trader
Deathwatch
Only War

Aspects

Feb 27, 2013, 2:49:21 PM2/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Nicely done Radek.  I like the intro you created for your game.  Its inspired me to think about doing something like that for any future games I might run.

Thanks for linking and sharing.

Joe.

kils...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2013, 2:53:29 PM2/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Dragon Age looks interesting to me with its stunt dice system. While I used to enjoy GURPS, I've run into too many people that munchkinize the Hell out of it. I hold onto my sourcebooks as I would be willing to run Fudge or Fate with my GURPS sourcebooks as inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone

kils...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2013, 2:59:11 PM2/27/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I gave Dark Heresy a too brief go. I would give any of the 40K universe games a chance and keep meaning to pick them up. I tried to like Pathfinder as at one point I liked D&D3, but just didn't grokk it. I never played 3.5 and know next to nothing of 4.

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "WFRP3 Virtual RPG" group.

Radosław Grzanka

Feb 28, 2013, 4:51:48 AM2/28/13

2013/2/27 steven swezey <steven...@gmail.com>

Is that dark heresy game an online one accepting players? You definitely have my attention.

Unfortunately this is offline game. My english is not good enough to GM anything.

Cheers,
  Radek.

Radosław Grzanka

Feb 28, 2013, 4:54:35 AM2/28/13
2013/2/27 Aspects <asp...@gmail.com>

Nicely done Radek.  I like the intro you created for your game.  Its inspired me to think about doing something like that for any future games I might run.

Glad you like it.
Not that much work actually. I think good narrator and music is a must. I was lucky enough Grimith agreed to record it for me.

Cheers,
 Radek.

Adam Pope

Feb 28, 2013, 7:53:54 AM2/28/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Dragon Age is a very interesting and dynamic game system.  I like the system, but prefer the warhammer world.

The Stunt system could almost be used in a crossover warhammer 3rd / Dragon age system to enable different characters to “purchase / access” different stunts.  They are already split into combat and magic, so expanding this to include piety, social, etc would not be a big leap.  This could streamline all the actions somewhat.

Cheers,

Adam

No virus found in this message.

troych...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2013, 8:34:49 AM2/28/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Runequest
Basic d&d
D&d 4th edition (not a fan)
The fantasy trip (precursor to GURPS)
Dragonquest  (spi)

Sent from my HTC One™ X, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

David Russell II

Feb 28, 2013, 9:00:04 AM2/28/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
*All editions of D&D. ( currently running basic d&d for my kids since the PDFs are reprinted on drivethrurpg .com)
Dragon lance saga fifth age ( card based RPGs from TSR)
+Star frontiers
FASERIP marvel from TSR.
+Top secret s.i.
Buck Rodgers xxv
Buck Rodgers adventures
Conan ( old TSR version )
*Call of Cthulhu
Call of Cthulhu dark ages
Legend RPGs ( rule of cool.com free edition)
+Legend ( mongoose rune quest )
*Dragon age
Traveler 2600
*Shadow run
Dread
Hunter the vigil
+Lone wolf
*Battle-tech / mech warrior RPGs
Hercules & xena RPGs
Serenity RPG ( cortex system)
Dead lands ( savage worlds)
Star Wars saga
Gamma world
Middle earth role playing ( merp) role master
Song of fire and ice
Bulldogs ( fudge)

*= ones I currently play or playing with my group
+= ones I would like to play but current group is not interested in them.

Mostly in search for the dragon age rulesets, I know someone made one, I seen the screenshots. I'd love to run some dragon age and try the Legend system. ( runequest variant)

Dave R--

Sent from my iPad mini

kils...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2013, 10:59:31 AM2/28/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I played the Dragonlance 5th edition years back and enjoyed it. As I am often dice cursed, it was refreshing to not roll dice.

Sent from my iPhone

Grolsch Van Eyke

Mar 16, 2013, 2:25:19 PM3/16/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Haven't seen anyone mention savage worlds and their many incredible setting books: deadlands, wierd wars, fantasy. The Fantasy Grounds interface for SW and availibility if modules makes it a great go to online system!