A WFRP3 Beginner Box

Ceodryn

Jan 21, 2013, 8:17:17 PM1/21/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

WFRP3 Beginner Box Project

Above is the link to my dropbox folder where I am hosting my WFRP3 Beginner Box project. The goal is to make a Beginner Box for WFRP3, similar to what FFG did for SWEotE or Paizo with Pathfinder. I have uploaded character folios for A Day Late, A Shilling Short (4 characters) and Journey to Black Fire Pass (6 characters).

The character folios are meant to be printed on one US Letter Borderless sheet with two-page layout so that page 1 and 2 are together the front, and page 3 and 4 are on the back together. That way, when folded, the folio is the size of ~ a current WFRP3 career card. When opened, the new player (to WFRP3 and RPG) has the information needed for a Beginner session.

The GM will need to provide each players with the appropriate actions, talents and abilities cards, as well as the additional mini-cards (fortune point cards, on which 3 tokens are placed, and race abilities cards).  For the basic actions, I also provided a summary of the basic actions. Some GMs may decide to run Beginner sessions without the cards, or with only some cards. That's ok, the characters are balanced enough that they don't need the cards.

This is meant to introduce new players to RPG and WFRP3. After the first session, the player can buy advances with the help of the GM, and continue to use this folio if desired, but I didn't make provision for advances. My hope is to transition the players, after a few sessions, to the excellent Gitzman's character sheet.

I posted all of this on the FFG boards, but wanted a thread here as well for those who may not visit the FFG boards often.

Cheers

Ceodryn

DevoutBadger

Jan 21, 2013, 9:36:55 PM1/21/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Very cool! Handy addition for teaching of the new folk.

Radosław Grzanka

Jan 22, 2013, 4:23:18 PM1/22/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
This is so cool. Thanks!
  Radek.

2013/1/22 DevoutBadger <ronin....@gmail.com>
Very cool! Handy addition for teaching of the new folk.

Radosław Grzanka

Jan 24, 2013, 7:29:11 AM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Ceodryn, did you make those characters pdfs yourself? Are you willing share "source" of those files? This is so cool, I'd like to prepare it for my players with other characters.

Cheers,
  Radek.

Philippe Boujon

Jan 24, 2013, 8:03:56 AM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com, wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Yes I did. It was my project to learn to use Page on the Mac. I am happy to share the source file but it is a Page format. I tried converting it to RTF or Doc but it screw up the formatting.

Anyway I'll put the source file up on the same folder but if you don't have a Mac it may not be useful.

Sent from my iPhone

Radosław Grzanka

Jan 24, 2013, 8:30:54 AM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Damn, great, now I need to buy mac. ;P It's a long shot but maybe it has an option to export to inkscape application (.svg, .svgz files)? Inkscape also supports Adobe Illustrator (.ai.svg) and corel draw (.ccx, .cdr, .cdt, .cmx).

In any case thank you!
  Radek.

troych...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2013, 9:42:30 AM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Btw - INCREDIBLE job and what an awesome resource!! Thank you so much.

Sent from my HTC One™ X, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Philippe Boujon

Jan 24, 2013, 10:50:24 AM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Well, I uploaded the source file: Character Folio Design Reduced, but unfortunatetely Pages doesn't export to the formats you mentioned.

Maybe you have an iPad or friends with an iPad? Pages is available for any Apple based device.

Cheers
Ceodryn

Radosław Grzanka

Jan 24, 2013, 11:32:13 AM1/24/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! I'll be fine.

Great work,
  Radek.

Ceodryn

Feb 3, 2013, 10:27:54 AM2/3/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Yesterday I tested my Beginner Box Character Folios for the first time with three players who had played once (a year and half ago) and were thus proper beginners. I created three characters adapted to those players, a wood elf hunter for my sister in law, an apprentice wizard for my brother in law, and a dwarf troll slayer for my wife.

Below are two pictures, one of the folios in use at the game table as we are having a rally step break, and one of the entire game table and players. I was running Night of Blood, from the Restless Dead Campaign 1st edition, using Fantasy Grounds 2 as my NPC management/Story board. The only WFRP3 mechanisms I left out was the Party Sheet and Diseases rules, but I used Corruption and Insanities rules.

Cheers

Ceodryn

Folios in play

First time players

Lars Sarbæk Kristiansen

Feb 3, 2013, 12:03:16 PM2/3/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Excellent photos. Seems like you had a great time and a good beta test for the beginner box :)

Cheers,
Lars

Daniel Wise

Feb 3, 2013, 7:16:34 PM2/3/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I like the curtains the guy has for a robe.  Stylish.

DevoutBadger

Feb 3, 2013, 7:32:37 PM2/3/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
I think its interesting he views his wife as a Slayer. Kinda makes me wonder.

Grolsch Van Eyke

Mar 1, 2013, 11:29:52 PM3/1/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
It's been since the twin tailed comet was last in the sky that I looked at this forum ...but now I come back and you have done this Phillipe! Tres bien! I have run several Pathfinder beginner box games at my wife's book store and THAT is an amazing product! Now to run some WFRP games for noobs! Keep it up sir!

Cheers,

Curtis (Grolsch)

P.S. been playing many pathfinder games via FGII and Google+ hangout I much prefer that over Skype.

Philippe Boujon

Mar 2, 2013, 6:41:25 AM3/2/13
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Curtis. I used it once with newbies, but haven't had the opportunity to try it in a store yet (1h45 to the nearest...). However, I shall move later this year and hope to get closer.

Good to hear you have been gaming with Pathfinder. I haven't tried Google+ hangout yet as the FG2 teamspeak servers have been working great.

Cheers
Philippe