How to use Skype / VOIP for online WFRP3

Ceodryn

Jun 30, 2012, 7:06:58 PM6/30/12
to wfrp3-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

This is a 101 post to explain what I believe is the best use of Skype (or other VOIP) when playing WFRP3 online. Many within the community may be new to online gaming, and thus may not know the limitations of VOIP:
  • First of all, I would recommend using a headset with a microphone integrated.
    • While newer desktops or laptops have microphone or video camera/microphone integrated in the screen, those are meant for video calling. When ambiant sounds happen (fans,keyboard typing...) happen in a room, those microphones will pick up those sounds. Headsets microphone are often calibrated for not picking up the slightest sounds.
  • Then, here is a great article on how to set-up your Skype in Windows 7 to work with your microphone headset; https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10330/Sound-guide-Windows-7

  • Next, I would also recommend (if your headset microphone doesn't have a mute button) to create a "mute" hotkey in Skype. The "mute" hotkey will allows you to easily and quickly mute yourself in/out: http://www.ehow.com/how_8469662_set-mute-hotkeys-skype.html
    • Skype is set to broadcast anytime a sound if picked up by a microphone, and the default microphone setting in Skype unfortunately picks up pretty much anything around, even ceiling fans. That means that if anyone is currently speaking, Skype will automatically interrupts every word of so that discussion. The results is a lot of break up in the speech. Therefore, if you are unsure whether you are the culprit, a mute hotkey is a temporary solution, but an important one. The fix is obviously to set-up your microphone not to pick up ambient sounds but only loud (voice) sounds.
Alright, so that was only a 101 type post. If anyone has any tips, go ahead and post here.

Cheers
Ceodryn