The Central Dogma of Molecular Biology part II - Beware: LOTS of detail here!

Cameron Clarke

Apr 27, 2014, 1:54:28 PM4/27/14
to wet-lab-san-...@googlegroups.com
This week we'll continue or exploration into DNA expression into RNA which gets translated into protein.

The process is rather complex.  In eukaryotes (organisms with cells with nuclei), the RNA is edited post-transcriptionally by removing "introns" and splicing "exons" together.  HERE is a quick description to start.

HERE is a more detailed description of how transcription factors set up the process for the RNA polymerase to bind and start the transcription process.
HERE is a good video describing the whole process.
THIS is a great summary about the bigger picture of genes, DNA and both coding/non-coding regions of DNA. It's important to get some context about how the letters ACTG fit into genes, chromosomes and cell nuclei.
This is a good video (though a bit dated) about how much DNA codes for protein. What was thought to be "junk" DNA is now known to be very complex regulatory factors affecting when and how genes are transcribed.

Also, learn about growth curves and why they are important HERE. This is the reason we are working towards building sensors and calibrating against the spectrophotometer and cell counters.

Christopher Cilley

Apr 27, 2014, 8:38:31 PM4/27/14
to wet-lab-san-...@googlegroups.com
Great links, Cameron!  Thanks!