message from Kay about MBTA meeting on the 3 train stations

Susan Albright

Jul 12, 2019, 9:59:42 AM7/12/19
to <newtonville@lists.neighborhood.net>, West Newton Community
I am very pleased to announce that the MBTA will be hosting a public meeting regarding the Newton Commuter Rail Stations on Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 6pm in the Newton Free Library Druker Auditorium.

Hope to see folks there!

Susan

--
Susan Albright
Councilor-at-Large Ward 2

didi_614

Jul 13, 2019, 9:46:08 PM7/13/19
to newto...@lists.neighborhood.net, West Newton Community
Wow - so our taxes will be going up in Newton because of all of the Developments on Washington Street and Austin Street??

Will Newton like Watertown  lower the Residential Tax Rate so that they can pretend that there is no issue - but in reality increase the valuations of the property's???

Why is the City not getting MORE Taxes from the Developers and these developments ??  You would think if  Korff can pay 6.5 MIllion Dollars for just the Newtonville Post office building that he could certainly be paying a higher tax rate for that HUGE building on Walnut and Washington Street !

Maybe you should be advocating for a FREEZE on all this development if you are planning on increasing our taxes like Watertown and essentially pushing long time residents out of the city.

On Saturday, July 13, 2019, 09:27:04 PM EDT, Susan Albright <susansophi...@gmail.com> wrote:

The same thing is happening all over metropolitan Boston.  This has a lot to do with the scarcity of housing that pushes the cost up and up and up. So many people want to live here with so few options that the price skyrockets.  And yes taxes on properties go up because of this. We see this exact same problem in newton.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks Susan  BUT they increased the VALUATION OF ALL THE PROPERTY'S in Watertown so the Taxes Increased.  In some cases the Valuations DOUBLED .  They can drop the RATE all they want but when the value of a house goes up by hundreds of thousands of dollars the Taxes GO UP ALOT.

For Example a 2 family in Watertown on a postage stamp lot taxes are now around 12,000 per year.  A few years ago they were almost  half that amount.

That is the Reality of the situation and what will be  happening in Newton especially if the Mayor is saying all this development will be Revenue Negative.

On Saturday, July 13, 2019, 08:49:35 PM EDT, Susan Albright <susansophi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Residential tax rate in Watertown
2017 $13.89
2018 $13.47
2019 $12.88

Sent from my iPhone

Exactly what has happened to Watertown - Taxes have skyrocketed because as you state - these types of projects are Revenue Negative.

Unfortunately we can state the obvious all we want but nothing will change.

On Saturday, July 13, 2019, 08:18:47 PM EDT, Ply...@gmail.com <ply...@gmail.com> wrote:

This wonderful vision project will work ONLY if the social engineering experiment forcing people to abandon driving, take up walking, use non existent public transportation, bike, or just hibernate in their apartments works. If it doesn’t well have lots of cars parked on the streets overnight all around the project area, we’ll have a significant increase in traffic especially with the narrowing of Washington st. The commercial space will be filled with banks and national retail companies. In other words it will look like Fanueil Hall on a hot Saturday in July. It’s guaranteed to produce higher taxes since its revenue negative according to the mayor. Biking? As you drive around the city count the bikers you see. Very few. With the increase in traffic you’ll see fewer. What can go wrong will go wrong. And the unrecoverable loss is the character of our town forever.

Peter Yaffe, MBA
Sent from Peter's iPhone

On Jul 13, 2019, at 7:46 PM, Pamela Shufro <pshu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, Bryan, people do want trees, parks, protected bike lanes, cafes on the sidewalk, etc.  Yes, they also want housing for baby boomers and young families.  However, these things as presented in the "vision" come with costs:  costs in terms of traffic, sky-high rents, and major increases in municipal expenses.  So while the vision presents itself as lovely, something no one can argue with, it does not adequately represent the downside.  I hope that, even if the "vision" does not address these issues adequately, that you will address them.  And advocate for the data we need in order to make appropriate policy decisions.  As Peter H noted in his previous email:
We could use a traffic study to assure that increased density and reduced availability of parking will reduce traffic congestion and a financial impact report that shows the increase in tax revenue will offset and increase in municipal expenses.
I agree.  I hope you do too.
Pamela S

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:21 PM Bryan Barash <bryan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Peter, I know you're making a joke but... I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want housing for baby boomers and young families, new commercial space, bike lanes, walkable sidewalks and restaurants with outdoor seating. That sounds great to me. In fact, I know a lot of people in our community want those things. I know this because I am constantly asking them what they're looking for in our village centers. We all have different ways of evaluating what will benefit our village centers most, and trying to put together a vision that satisfies most people is the best way to plan for our future.

- Bryan Barash
Candidate for City Council, Ward 2

PS - I can't imagine why anyone would be against Rep. Khan's impressive advocacy for better commuter rail service. Upgraded, accessible service is a necessity for our community.

Good news, or not.  History says that this is the first step in revitalizing Newton Center to make it a vibrant village with 6+ story mixed use buildings in a transit oriented project with, maybe, 1,000 new apartments for aging baby boomers and young families, new commercial space, limited parking, bike lanes and walkable sidewalks with outdoor restaurant seating.  Perhaps we could find a developer to create an eco-economic friendly urban enclave.

We won't need to waste money on a vision plan since we can predict the results by interpreting vision plans for other  villages where citizen input was discounted to make room for the vision. We could use a traffic study to assure that increased density and reduced availability of parking will reduce traffic congestion and a financial impact report that shows the increase in tax revenue will offset and increase in municipal expenses.

Peter F. Harrington

list services provided by the Newton Neighborhood Network

list services provided by the Newton Neighborhood Network

list services provided by the Newton Neighborhood Network

list services provided by the Newton Neighborhood Network

list services provided by the Newton Neighborhood Network

When responding, please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State has determined that most email is public record and therefore cannot be kept confidential.

list services provided by the Newton Neighborhood Network

list services provided by the Newton Neighborhood Network

When responding, please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State has determined that most email is public record and therefore cannot be kept confidential.

list services provided by the Newton Neighborhood Network

list services provided by the Newton Neighborhood Network

Susan Albright

Jul 13, 2019, 10:01:05 PM7/13/19
to didi...@yahoo.com, newto...@lists.neighborhood.net, West Newton Community
No, you have not understood. Taxes in newton have already gone up for some people (and down for others). We can only raise taxes each year by 2.5%. The assessors do a comprehensive survey of every property.   Each year the council sees this comprehensive survey. In some years the single family homes take the brunt of the increase in taxes because those home prices increased the most. In other years the two family homes see increases. It varies each year according to the economics.
When Austin st and Washington place come on line they will be part of our new growth. And they will be outside the  2.5% cap. They will add revenue to our base.  You will see our tax base expand- this is a very good thing.   Maybe we should have a workshop for all on how taxes are set. This would be enlightening for all.

I'm heading to finish my homework for meetings on Monday.  Have a good night and good weekend.

Sent from my iPhone
--
If you'd like to be added to this discussion group, visit this group at the link below, or simply send email to gswi...@alum.mit.edu with your name and affiliation with West Newton.
---

didi_614

Jul 14, 2019, 9:10:48 AM7/14/19
to <newtonville@lists.neighborhood.net>, West Newton Community
Why is the Mayor saying these projects are Revenue NEGATIVE???  So now Councilor Albright you are stating that the project is Revenue Positive?  How much additional Tax Revenue is expected from these 2 proposals - Austin Street and Walnut/Washington Street?

And what happens if these units bring in 200+ additional Students to the NPS??

Per Peter Yaffe Post -"It’s guaranteed to produce higher taxes since its revenue negative according to the mayor. "

On Sunday, July 14, 2019, 08:43:34 AM EDT, Susan Albright <susansophi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Since 2015 there have been 2 projects approved that are larger than the typical.  One of these is 68 units and the other is 140 units.  Both projects were analyzed by city peer reviewers to determine if the projects were revenue positive for the city.  Both projects were deemed revenue positive.  The city council has no interest in passing projects such as these unless they are revenue positive.  The one exception from this I think would be a project that is 100% affordable.  We have not had one of these presented so this notion needs further study.

If every project before the Council now were to be approved as presented we would add 1400 units of housing - hardly 10s of thousands.

You are raising very important subjects to be taken seriously but we should keep the conversation real.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 8:06 AM Peter Yaffe <ply...@gmail.com> wrote:
Susan
So in other words permitting giant developments that are revenue negative probably won’t provide much help with our budget problems

Snark

Peter Yaffe, MBA
Sent from Peter's iPad

On Jul 14, 2019, at 7:43 AM, Susan Albright <susansophi...@gmail.com> wrote:

"So when property values go up the tax rate should go down proportionately minus inflation unless new revenue is needed to fund more children in the schools, increased traffic patrolling, more police etc all of the things that increase with more people. "

The other workshop we need is an explanation of all the things we can't do in Newton because there iis insufficient revenue.   We can't fund park maintenance at an appropriate level, we can't buy as many trees as we need,  we can't add staff to inspectional services to help monitor conditions on special permits, and on and on and on.   Taking the conversation away from staff needs we can't fund upgrades to your buildings at the rate we would like to.  Although capital costs are bonded we have to have the funds in our operating budget to pay down more debt than we are already covering.

We do ok in Newton but there is a lot we need to be doing that we can't. Residential taxes are simply not enough to cover the things we would like to do.   Our commercial taxes are simply not very substantial.

If you follow the budget every year you will find 10-15 resolutions that the Council sends to the Mayor of priority areas the Council would like to fund.  Year after year most of these are rejected for lack of funds.  I'd be happy to get a bunch of us together to talk this over.

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 11:05 PM <sarle...@gmail.com> wrote:
Susan it is understood that the tax rate does not go up but the tax revenue does. So when property values go up the tax rate should go down proportionately minus inflation unless new revenue is needed to fund more children in the schools, increased traffic patrolling, more police etc all of the things that increase with more people.

So a “workshop” would be a wonderful idea so that we can sort out the conflicting opinions over whether developments like these are revenue positive, neutral, or negative. Since varying people in the city all seem to have different opinions it appears not to be clearcut. You say it will add revenue. Others say it will do the opposite. I don’t think it is therefore as clear cut as you are saying.

These are the kinds of questions many of us are asking and it only adds confusion and distrust when councilors don’t admit that we don’t know for sure what the answer is.

Sue

Sent from my iPhone

Susan Albright

Jul 14, 2019, 10:17:34 AM7/14/19
to didi_614, <newtonville@lists.neighborhood.net>, West Newton Community
I've never heard the mayor say that these projects are revenue negative but I'll certainly ask her about that and get back to you.

didi_614

Jul 14, 2019, 1:38:02 PM7/14/19
to newto...@lists.neighborhood.net, West Newton Community
In Watertown the developers/ Management Company have opened up the empty apts to the State for Homeless and Section 8 and then they get a HUGE Tax Break from the CITY.   And the Watertown schools have a large increase in enrollment because of it too.  One of the reasons why Watertown Taxes have doubled.

That is the economic reality of this situation.

Although in Newton alot of Parents want the NPS so most likely they will rent the apts but it will then increase enrollment in the NPS even though we have been told that NPS Enrollment is going to decrease.

On Sunday, July 14, 2019, 01:22:53 PM EDT, Barbara Bix <bar...@bbmarketingplus.com> wrote:

I guess that raises the question if the apartments will sit empty if the owners cannot find enough people who can pay $4000/month.  Will they lower prices, or just keep them empty?  There are empty apartments now because of a mismatch between price and value.

didi_614

Jul 15, 2019, 11:21:54 AM7/15/19
to newto...@lists.neighborhood.net, West Newton Community
Hi Marti

I dont have a link- I have knowledge from people that live there and from people involved in city government.

my name is Joanne and my email should be posted as didi...@yahoo.com

I am a life long Newton Resident and own property in Newton and Watertown - hence how I have first hand knowledge of  how the developments have changed Watertown.

Thanks Joanne

Jul 15, 2019, 3:37:05 PM7/15/19
to newto...@lists.neighborhood.net, westnewtonn...@googlegroups.com

What assumptions went into the peer review process to predict that the projects would be revenue-positive? More likely than not, the peer reviewers assumed that the projects would be quickly rented at the originally predicted market rates. If that doesn't happen - if some of their storefronts remain empty for a long time, or if the residential units either go empty or have to be offered at lower rates because there isn't enough demand for 2-bedroom apartments at ~$4K/month, then the City's tax revenue will go down. And if the numbers of students go up even slightly from the predicted values (the Newton school system is one thing that differentiates us from several neighboring towns) the City's costs will go up. If either of these happens current Newton taxpayers will be responsible for making up the difference.

As for the number of units that developers are planning to build: While the numbers are still changing, the proposed number of units at Northland is approximately 800 and the number at Riverside around 750. This brings us to slightly more than the 1400 units you cite. The massive Washington Street projects could dwarf that number. The older versions of the Washington Street vision plan gave estimates for the numbers of apartments that could be built in various parts of the "corridor". The latest version does not, but building heights have been increased, so the City is now keeping residents in the dark about what could be built.  The Council has not yet formally looked at any of the Washington Street projects so your estimate of 1400 units is reasonable, but we know that a lot more plans are coming. We may not be looking at tens of thousands of new units, but thousands, yes, and concentrated in just a few of the less-upscale areas of the City.

On 7/14/2019 8:42 AM, Susan Albright wrote:
[...]

Howard Rosenof

Jul 15, 2019, 3:40:38 PM7/15/19
to jane frantz, newto...@lists.neighborhood.net, westnewtonn...@googlegroups.com

If the proposed new developments pay for themselves, i.e. if their tax contributions equal or exceed the costs they impose on the City then there should be less of an issue. People are concerned that they won't pay for themselves. Newton depends to an extraordinary extent (82.39 percent) on residential tax revenues. Of the 20 cities and towns in Massachusetts with the highest total tax levies, Brookline is slightly higher (82.52 percent) and only Wellesley is significantly higher (87.33 percent). Thus if these new developments fail to pay for themselves, most of the unmet tax burden will fall on existing Newton residents, including those who are low-income but don't live in below-market units, and many who are living on fixed incomes. Many will reasonably view such a transfer of costs as a subsidy given by residents to developers.

Retail cannabis is already here; however some are concerned with the fact that the Mayor appears to want to concentrate these outlets in the north of the city, with two of Newton's three recreational outlets within walking distance of Newton North and less than a mile away from each other.

I don't hear too many people saying "no" to development. For example, I don't think there is going to be a lot of nostalgia over the used-car lots on Washington Street. For the most part, reasonable development will be welcomed. We can of course differ on what "reasonable" means, but for many of us it means not overwhelming the school system, our roads and other transportation infrastructure, not tearing down irreplaceable historic structures, not degrading air quality due to traffic congestion, maintaining Newton's unique configuration as a city of almost 90,000 people with distinct, interconnected villages rather than a central downtown, not forcing out unique local businesses in favor of national chains, and not increasing (beyond inflation) the taxes existing residents pay.

The City had enough money to pay for a $500K Washington Street Vision Plan whose initial versions have now been all but ignored, and buying the Armory from the State for $1.00 for affordable housing is not likely to look like a bargain once there's a professional estimate of the costs of turning it into housing.

Reliance on taxes on residential real estate: http://www.newtonma.gov/civicax/filebank/documents/92676 Page 20

On 7/14/2019 8:40 AM, jane frantz wrote:
Newton needs to raise more revenue and too many residents on this listserv refuse any means to do so. It's no to overrides, no to retail cannabis, no to development. Then we hear complaints about not having what revenue provides: repairs to roads, infrastructure, public buildings, well cared for parks, etc. Money doesn't grow on trees - all of these services will require increased revenue.

In 2013, we knew that the overrides would help us make progress for 5 years. Here we are 6 years out and we're seeing the impact of the lack of revenue that we should have foreseen. So my question is this: what source of ongoing revenue is acceptable?

didi_614

Jul 16, 2019, 10:41:04 AM7/16/19
to newto...@lists.neighborhood.net, West Newton Community
For the property that I have rented in Newton - the number one reason that 90% of those that inquire are about the NPS and preferably Newton North.

So economically you can live in Waltham for less rent and put your kids into a private school but if the private school costs 25000 or 30000 per year it is sometimes more feasible to just rent or buy in Newton and have you kids go to the NPS.  That has at least been my experience.

On Tuesday, July 16, 2019, 09:22:38 AM EDT, Barbara Bix <bar...@bbmarketingplus.com> wrote:

I’m not sure that the demand will be there in Newton.  The $4000/mo rent is for luxury apartments.  It will depend on whether enough renters will see value worth the price.  Some certainly will.  We have seen that at Avalons throughout the area.  Is that true for everyone?  Probably not for the middle class.  As many have cited on this list, the market rate for 2BRs is somewhere between $2100 and $2400 depending on the degree of luxury.

Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:13 AM
To: Marti Boguski (martibow...@yahoo.com) via Mailing List <newto...@lists.neighborhood.net>

I dont know why they dont publicize it but  - Maybe the same way the Hotels in Waltham do not publicize that they house the Homeless Families for the state?  But they do - and the reason I know is that the kids  are enrolled while they are living there  into the Waltham Public Schools.

Maybe the reason Watertown/the developers do not publicize it is then they might have an issue renting the apts/condos at market value?

Not sure why but this is the reality. Doubt this will happen in Newton because the apts/condos will rent/sell because people will want their kids in the NPS.

Thanks Joanne,

Of course I know who you are and wasn’t intending to insinuate anything.

For some reason I don’t see the names or email addresses on some of the emails I receive from the listserv. And I’m not denying what you said about Watertown. I just would like to read it from an official source.

I have searched and can’t find anything like that - maybe not the right searches. I would think Watertown or the developers would be publicizing their arrangement with the state to house people or families who are homeless or using Section 8 in their empty apartments - tax breaks or not.

Marti

Julia Anne Malakie

Jul 16, 2019, 2:24:16 PM7/16/19
to didi_614, newto...@lists.neighborhood.net, West Newton Community
Do people say why they prefer Newton North? Are their kids swimmers? I thought with the equalization of sizes when they expanded South, what - 20 years ago? -- that the programs were supposed to be equally broad. Although I guess there are still some unique traditions, like NSHS students doing a big speech, and do they still post their college rejection letters on a big public board? And I recently learned about the "Murder" game at North -- is that just a North thing? (Not that a year-end game is a reason to prefer a school!)
Julia

Jessica Polito

Chuck Tanowitz

Jul 17, 2019, 6:08:52 PM7/17/19
to West Newton Community
I was curious about this myself so I contacted a reporter in Watertown to look into it (Charlie Beitros). TLDR: nothing said in this statement is true.

He said that he spoke to a contact of his and there is no evidence that any of this is happening. He noted that the taxes are only increasing at their regular rate of 2.5% per state law without a voted override. He said that property values have increased and that may be leading to a higher tax bill for individuals, but that is to expected when you have rising values. There is no evidence that empty apartments are being opened to Section 8. Though I believe there is an affordable component to these properties, I do not know how that is being handled.

As for the schools, Watertown posts enrollment numbers regularly and there is no indication of an increase. In fact, in the School Committee Minutes of May 6 (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0qmR4OyJ3unazJZN2kzWGNjc0dtMVVIdzZQdjBrb3c5NHg4/view) it was reported that enrollment is steady and that "there are no areas of concern." They are, however, "paying close attention to the kindergarten numbers" because they're lower than expected for Fall 2019.

Chuck Tanowitz
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to westnewtonneighborhood+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Brian Scheff

Jul 17, 2019, 8:46:24 PM7/17/19
to tano...@gmail.com, West Newton Community
Thank you Chuck.

Brian Scheff
Discovery Schoolhouse, Inc.

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to westnewtonneighbo...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/westnewtonneighborhood.

Michael Halle

Jul 17, 2019, 11:15:52 PM7/17/19
to West Newton Community, Chuck Tanowitz
Chuck, thanks for looking into these issues.  Learning from local experience is critically important to help us makes the best decisions we can, with confidence and with as little fear as possible.

To be fair, I always interpreted Joanne's statement about taxes increasing to mean that real estate taxes go up when property values go up.  My dad always used to be so proud of how his house was increasing in assessed value, when in fact, because we were staying put, the impact in him was only paying more taxes.

This increase *can*, paradoxically, be a real problem for some people, especially older homeowners with all of their equity tied up in their home. If they don't qualify for a home equity loan, their only option to keep their home may be a reverse mortgage, which is a complex lending device marred by scams.

Fortunately, Massachusetts and Newton in particular have programs that allow lower-income senior homeowners to defer their taxes at a low interest rate up to half of their property value. See:
That doesn't cover everyone who needs it, but it helps.  Future options include both lowering the tax rate and creating a more general residential exemption that helps out lower-income home owners (Watertown and Boston have them, probably other communities as well).

All this aside, I think most people see the positive side of increasing home values (potential money in their pocket as well we desirability of a community). Certainly, a locale with decreasing property values would be worse for most people, including, most likely, prospective home buyers.

--Mike

On Jul 17, 2019, at 6:07 PM, Chuck Tanowitz <tano...@gmail.com> wrote:

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/westnewtonneighborhood.

Greer Swiston

Jul 18, 2019, 7:48:00 AM7/18/19
to Chuck Tanowitz, West Newton Community
There seems to be  a consistent misunderstanding of how Prop 2 1/2 works that creates a gap in understanding and therefore expectations and ultmately leads to different conclusions.

Basically, how can Councilor Albright, Mr Tanowitz and Ms Caruso (didi) all be making correct statements but seem to be drawing such drastically different conclusions?

1) Property values most likely have all gone up
2) New Development has raised city revenue significantly without violating prop 2 1/2
3) Individual residents probably all saw their total tax bill increase even if they’d done nothing to it themselves.

However, I think it is quite safe to say, that perhaps their expectations were not the same and perhaps Ms Caruso is expressing a common “every day resident” expectation that differs from an experienced government official (like Councilor Albright) or a more broadly informed economic advisor (like Mr Tanowitz) and she is simply sharing that ...

As long as everyone has the same understanding of what will happen, then everyone can make informed decisions.  From what I can tell, both Mr Tanowitz and Councilor Albright would conclude that what is happening in Watertown is exactly what was expected and desired of the developments approved in that town.   I believe Ms Caruso is of the opinion that it was not what residents were expecting nor desired.

So, what is Prop 2 1/2?  A cap of 2.5% on property tax seems simple enough, but as with all percentages, the importance is to understand *of what*?

I think these two FAQ responses from the city website may be helpful:

My tax bill has gone up more than 2.5%. Doesn’t Proposition 2 ½ limit the tax increase?

Proposition 2 ½ limits the City of Newton, and all other Massachusetts communities, the amount of citywide taxes that can be raised. Proposition 2 ½ limits a community to raising citywide taxes by 2.5% from the previous year’s levy limit. Allowing for new growth can then increase this levy limit. New growth consists of property tax increases caused by new construction, renovations or land use changes. Proposition 2 ½ does not limit any individual property tax increase or decrease. For example, in Fiscal Year 2019, the Mayor and the City Council approved a budget that included a tax levy of $346,951,632. The levy limit for Fiscal Year 2018 was $329,940,249 (before debt exclusion payment). So, the maximum amount of taxes that can be budgeted by the Mayor and the City Council for Fiscal Year 2019 is $329,940,249 X 102.5% = $338,188,755 plus certified new growth plus a voter approved debt exclusion payment of $3,000,495. (The 102.5% number is increasing the previous year’s limit by 2.5%). The new growth, which was certified by the Massachusetts Department of Revenue, is $5,762,382. Therefore, the maximum amount of taxes which can be levied for Fiscal Year 2019 is $338,188,755 + $5,762,382 + $3,000,495 = $346,951,632. This figure is the levy limit, which will be used to determine next year’s maximum tax levy. A community may increase the property tax levy less than 2.5%, but that is a determination made by the budgetary requirements of the city as determined by the Mayor and the City Council. A community may not increase the tax levy greater than 2.5% without approval of the voters. The Mayor and the City Council increased the tax levy by $17,011,383 from last year’s tax levy limit of $329,940,249. This is what causes a tax increase, not an increase or decrease in assessed values.

My assessment increased more than 2.5%. Doesn’t Proposition 2 ½ limit the amount my assessment can increase?

Proposition 2 ½ limits the amount of taxes a community can raise from property tax. The assessment is an estimate of market value. Since the real estate market changes are based upon the buyers’ and sellers’ needs, there is no limit to the amount an assessment can increase or decrease. Assessment changes are always based on the real estate market. For example, if a property sells for $500,000 in calendar year 2017, there is no limit or minimum price it would sell for in calendar year 2018 or beyond. It could sell for $600,000, $700,000, $1,000,000 or $400,000. The sale price would be based on the real estate market at that time. The assessments do not predict market value. The assessments reflect (or report) market value.