[Job offer] Storypark CTO

Jamie MacDonald

Mar 20, 2014, 9:03:44 PM3/20/14
to wellr...@googlegroups.com
Join a high-growth, technically challenging startup with thousands of existing users and a purpose that makes a difference.
Storypark is helping create stronger families and improving children’s learning outcomes in New Zealand and 58 countries around the world.
We’ve secured investment to scale and we need your help.
The Chief Technology Officer’s role is to assure the successful development and implementation of Storypark’s business plan through the creation and management of the Storypark App and website.
There’s considerable scope for agility within the role and we’re actively seeking someone who can contribute to the design, coordination and delivery of development work.

Team:
Storypark is a small team that’s focused on creating beautiful solutions that make an impact. We’re a tight group of entrepreneurs, developers, designers and educators on a mission to make a difference, and we thrive on the feedback from families around the world who are now more connected with their children.

We’re a people-focused business and run a family-friendly, flexible and fun work environment. We’ve got big plans and we want you to join us for the ride.

Challenge:
The sky’s the limit in terms of growth opportunities, but to help us get there we need you to:
  • Work with us, our customers and experts to guide the technical direction of the company, and translate priorities into awesome technical solutions
  • Bring understanding and opportunities of the wider technical landscape to the business strategy
  • Help determine the technology product resources that we need (designers, developers, etc) to meet our goals, and help recruit and manage them
  • Roll up your sleeves and develop features
  • Coordinate the delivery of features – helping manage the release process
  • Manage our infrastructure – ensuring a secure and stable platform, uptime, and capacity planning for the future
  • Be a stickler for quality – work with the team to ensure our users have an experience that we’re proud of
  • Support and develop the team – advice, coaching and educational opportunities

Knowledge and experience:
  • 5+ years experience with Rails, JavaScript/CoffeeScript/Backbone & HTML/CSS
  • Experience with cloud-based infrastructure – AWS, Heroku etc, and scaling a platform
  • Experience managing developers and software development processes
  • An affinity for lean, agile approaches to development and product management
  • Full-stack experience – someone who can take features from concept to delivery
  • Someone with initiative, who knows what it takes to ship regularly
  • Experience with mobile development.

Personal attributes:
  • Passionate about delivering value to users
  • An excellent communicator and creative problem solver
  • Organised, motivated, pragmatic, gets things done
  • Quality focussed, with an eye for detail.

Other important things to know:
We still have the advantages of an early-stage company, including the ability to offer equity as part of your compensation.

Background:
Storypark is a maturing startup that has had a number of successes in 2013. We’ve partnered with some of New Zealand’s most influential early learning organisations including the largest private provider of early childhood services. We have 5,000+ active customers, the support of experts and academics around the world and blossoming relationships with networks in NZ, Australia, Japan and Canada.

Contact:
Peter Dixon, CEO for more information: 021 1274989, pe...@storypark.com

Shane Mingins

Mar 25, 2014, 6:50:14 PM3/25/14
to WellRailed
Cool piece on Stuff about Storypark too.

BTW, I see that the next Wellington Startup Weekend is a special education themed one for those who may be interested http://www.eventbrite.com/e/wellington-startup-weekend-august-2014-tickets-10708875535

Shane Mingins