Console.log, Network not working. HELP!

George Norris

Jul 15, 2013, 12:20:30 PM7/15/13
to wei...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am just getting started w/ Weinre and I getting stumped on the Network and Console panels..

Within Weinre, in the console, I can alert('hello') and the result alert box fires on my phone. Communication from weinre to website is working.

The other way around doesnt work. Any console.log on my website to weinre won't log into weinre's console.

Also the Network panel doesnt show any logs. The elements panel work great.

Patrick Mueller

Jul 15, 2013, 12:28:47 PM7/15/13
to wei...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, July 15, 2013 12:20:30 PM UTC-4, George Norris wrote:
Within Weinre, in the console, I can alert('hello') and the result alert box fires on my phone. Communication from weinre to website is working.

The other way around doesnt work. Any console.log on my website to weinre won't log into weinre's console.

I assume, from the weinre console, instead of doing an alert(), you did a console.log("hello"), that that doesn't work either.  Sounds like someone else has stolen the console object or it's methods from weinre.  What other frameworks are you using - and specifically, are you using Apache Cordova/PhoneGap?

Also the Network panel doesnt show any logs. The elements panel work great.

The network panel can only show XHRs, because that's all weinre can trap.  And if some other code has usurped weinre's usurp-tion of the XHR functions, then again, they may not show up since weinre wouldn't be called.

George Norris

Jul 15, 2013, 2:49:31 PM7/15/13
to wei...@googlegroups.com
Im not using Cordova/PhoneGap. Just a Backbone mobile app. The Weiner console can fire alerts() but not a console.log() to the iphone emulator (using Saf Debug Console). Ok, I see..only XHR. I'm seeing that now on pages that have XHR.

From the weinre Google Group -- http://groups.google.com/group/weinre

---

Patrick Mueller

Jul 15, 2013, 5:55:22 PM7/15/13
to wei...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what the Saf Debug Console is.

weinre does console logging to it's console panel, which you can also display split-screen with the other panels via the little console button as shown in the Chrome DevTools docs [1] - the little button at the bottom of the window, labeled ""Show/hide Console split-view" in the referenced page.

I can't remember if we currently forward console logging messages onto the original console or not.  It causes problems no matter if it does forward them, or not.  Haven't found a good story for making everyone happy there.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "weinre" group.

Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Sam Hasler

Mar 27, 2014, 7:18:04 AM3/27/14
to wei...@googlegroups.com, george...@employmentguide.com
When you start weinre, in the terminal do you see Object.childNodeInserted(): TypeError: Cannot call method '_insertChild' of undefined

If you do then it's probably this issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-3350

(Mostly posting this in case anyone else stumbles across this thread while googling this issue.)

Patrick Mueller

Mar 27, 2014, 7:40:32 AM3/27/14
to wei...@googlegroups.com, george...@employmentguide.com
Thanks for that post Sam; always useful to leave some tombstones ...

However, I think there are a # of conditions which will cause the message; it basically means that while weinre was walking your DOM looking for goodies, something changed underneath it.  Almost more of a reminder for me to fix whatever race condition is occurring, or to better prepare the code for the failure.  I think often, it's a transient thing that you never even notice.

Were you having some kind of problem with "use strict" though?