block-echo

Joel Franusic

Dec 5, 2012, 5:02:10 AM12/5/12
to webp...@googlegroups.com
I just created my first proof-of-concept block, a simple "echo" service:

https://github.com/jpf/block-echo

It's implemented in Python and works with tlr-pipes

Matthew Hudson

Dec 5, 2012, 2:24:48 PM12/5/12
to webp...@googlegroups.com
Neat example. I added it to http://registry.webpipes.org/blocks

Joël Franusic

Dec 5, 2012, 3:31:12 PM12/5/12
to Matthew Hudson, webp...@googlegroups.com
(sending to list, not just Matt as I just did accidentally)

Wow! I really like your viewer Matt.

On a related note, one thing that I could have really made use of for the echo block is a "block validator" - Tom was acting as my validator ("it's outputs, plural", "you need to support CORS"). I should have had a robo-Tom to do that for me.

Do you have code that could be come a validator? If not, that's my next project.

Matthew Hudson

Dec 5, 2012, 3:41:52 PM12/5/12
to webp...@googlegroups.com
Hah, I'm actually working on that now! I'll probably post something online later this evening.

I'm thinking it will be exposed at http://validator.webpipes.org

Joël Franusic

Dec 5, 2012, 6:24:18 PM12/5/12
to Matthew Hudson, webp...@googlegroups.com
_excellent_

A validator will really help in writing blocks.

My subversive goal for getting a validator is that I think that specs should all come with tests.

Please share when you have something to share!

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Matthew Hudson <ma...@matthewghudson.com> wrote:
Hah, I'm actually working on that now! I'll probably post something online later this evening.

I'm thinking it will be exposed at http://validator.webpipes.org

Tom Robinson

Dec 5, 2012, 8:27:25 PM12/5/12
to Joël Franusic, Matthew Hudson, webp...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Is there a JSON API I can hook tlr-pipes into to load all the blocks from? Bonus points if you inline the block metadata.

How will the validator work? It would be cool if we had a console we could use to test blocks (kind of like http://hurl.it/) that also validated the block.

Also, I'd like to have JSON Schemas for all our specs.

Tom Robinson

Dec 5, 2012, 8:29:09 PM12/5/12
to Joël Franusic, Matthew Hudson, webp...@googlegroups.com
BTW, shouldn't the registry be a WebPipe's block itself? ;)

Matthew Hudson

Dec 5, 2012, 8:44:19 PM12/5/12
to Joël Franusic, webp...@googlegroups.com

Check out http://registry.webpipes.org/blocks.json - anything missing that you need?

How will the validator work? It would be cool if we had a console we could use to test blocks (kind of like http://hurl.it/) that also validated the block.

The original idea was to mimic http://validator.w3.org/ and validate a Block Definition. But the console idea is really nifty.

Also, I'd like to have JSON Schemas for all our specs.

For Block Definitions and outputs?
--
V/R

Matthew Hudson

Joël Franusic

Dec 5, 2012, 8:47:11 PM12/5/12
to Matthew Hudson, webp...@googlegroups.com

Check out http://registry.webpipes.org/blocks.json - anything missing that you need?

URL's to the blocks?

Matthew Hudson

Dec 5, 2012, 8:53:42 PM12/5/12
to Joël Franusic, webp...@googlegroups.com
Oh gosh, haha. Hmm. I could include a "_registry" key in each definition that stores meta data about the blocks. Any other ideas?

I can't think of a solid use-case for adding "url" key to the definition - can anyone else?

Matthew Hudson

Dec 11, 2012, 7:23:04 PM12/11/12
to webp...@googlegroups.com, Joël Franusic
Joel - do you have any experience with JSON Schema or JSON Reference?

Joël Franusic

Dec 11, 2012, 7:23:54 PM12/11/12
to Matthew Hudson, webp...@googlegroups.com
No, but both of those sound like things that I want to know. (I think I could use them on dig.jsondns.org)