various web app problems

Geoff Soutter

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00

Hi there,

I just trying to deploy a Servlet API 2.2 compliant webapp that works on Tomcat3.3 and JRun3.0 into WL5.1. I've found two apparent weblogic bugs:

1) The DTD reference it expects is wrong according to the Servlet API 2.2 Specification.
- wl5.1 wants: "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 1.2//EN"
- SAPI2.2 says: "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN"

2) Seems the classloader for the WEB-INF/lib is broken. My app loads and runs fine under Tomcat 3.3/JRun3.0, but under WL5.1 I get the following weird error message apparently trying to load the TOPLink classes (we're using "standard" TOPLink, not the special Weblogic version):

java.lang.ClassCircularityError: TOPLink/Public/QueryFramework/ObjectLevelModifyQuery
at java.lang.ClassLoader.resolveClass0(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.resolveClass(ClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.utils.classloaders.GenericClassLoader.reallyLoadClass(GenericClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.utils.classloaders.RecursiveReloadOnModifyClassLoader$Slave.loadClass(RecursiveReloadOnModifyClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.utils.classloaders.GenericClassLoader.loadClass(GenericClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.resolveClass0(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.resolveClass(ClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.utils.classloaders.GenericClassLoader.reallyLoadClass(GenericClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.utils.classloaders.RecursiveReloadOnModifyClassLoader$Slave.loadClass(RecursiveReloadOnModifyClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.utils.classloaders.GenericClassLoader.loadClass(GenericClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)

etc, etc, etc.

Don't be embarrassed about the broken classloader, :-), of the three supposedly 2.2 compliant servlet engines I've tried this webapp with, only JRun3.0's class loading works properly, Tomcat3.3 works but only under JDK1.2 and above, and ServletExec 3.0 has a broken Resource.getBundle(). And JRun 3.0 is way broken in other areas. Sigh.

The workaround I've tried for the others is simply to include the classes in the JVM classpath, but I've not tried this with weblogic yet.

Any ideas if the DTD or WEB-INF/lib classloading is "fixed" under any of the service packs?

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff Soutter

Aug 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/17/00

Hi There,

Would anyone at Weblogic like to comment on these apparent bugs and whats being done to address them?

Please? :-)

Thanks

Geoff

Cameron Purdy

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
Geoff,

For an official WebLogic response, you need to contact the support group:

sup...@beasys.com

--

Cameron Purdy
http://www.tangosol.com