Migration from WLI2.0 to WLI2.1 - problems and solutions

Pete Edwards

Oct 25, 2001, 7:17:01 AM10/25/01

We have experienced a number of issues when migrating from WLI2.0 (no service packs)
to WLI2.1 - We are only using the WLPI (BPM) part of WLI. We decided to publish
these issues in case they can be of help to others.

Problems:
1. The documentation (http://edocs.bea.com/wlintegration/v2_1/migrate/4zubemig.htm#998197)
says the migration process works from WLPI 1.2.1 and from WLI 2.0 (SP2, 3, 4).
What about WLI2.0 with no service packs - I don't see why BEA should have left
out migration from that platform. We decided to follow the process and see what
happened.

2. There is no indication in the documentation of how to run the GUI based migration
tools on Unix, only for Windows so we had to follow the manual route.

3. The Manual process refers (http://edocs.bea.com/wlintegration/v2_1/migrate/4zubemig.htm#999969)
to the DB variable setting scripts. It then says to run "migratedb.sh". None of
these files have extensions ".sh" - the files that were installed have no extension.
Obviously that did not stop us running them but the documentation needs correcting.

4. The migratedb scripts calls "WLI_HOME/setenv.sh" - it is confusing that there
is a second copy of this file in the bin folder called "setenv". Why are there
2 copies. Also I note that the one in bin is executable and the other is not.
All very confusing!!

5. The migratedb script fails to run because we have not previously run setDomain.
This is not documented.

6. Running setDomain on a domain moved from a WLI2.0 installaion fails since it
does not contain the expected folders. That basically means you cannot migrate
such a domain. We carried on with the process using the bpmdomain so that we could
at least migrate our database automatically.

7. Having run setDomain, we tried migratedb again but it failed because we had
not run switchdb. Again, this is not documented. We ran switchdb successfully.

8. Now running migratedb creates a file called "migrate.sh". Unfortunately the
script migratedb then attempts to run a file called "migrate". This is evidence
that no-one has ever tested this script at BEA and we are very disconcerted by
this fact!! We renamed the script and ran migratedb again - this time it ran the
migrate script.

9. This still fails with the following errors (when calling migrateCommonRep)
-v (No such file or directory)
null
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.bea.eci.migration.Migrate.getConnection(Migrate.java:207)
at com.bea.eci.migration.Migrate.main(Migrate.java:73)
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.bea.eci.migration.Migrate.main(Migrate.java:192)

10. It also fails because it cannot find "sqlplus" - a fatal problem - we do not
have sqlplus installed on the same machine as WLI and yet again this requirement
is not documented. At this point we gave up trying to run the migrate script as
there seemed to be no route forward.

The process we took to move from WLI2.0 (WLPI only) was as follows:
a. Since we had done no changes to filerealm.properties we simply copied the one
fron bpmdomain into our own domain.
b. We have been unable to run the step to migrate the common repository (see note
9). If this is referring to the XML repository then that should not be a problem
to us as we have not used it.
c. We moved the "migrate/BPM_20SP3-21.sql" script to an NT machine and ran that
script on our database. This seems to have successfully updated the database.

Lastly, having completed the migration process we tried to run the server but
it fails. This is because the startWeblogic script fails to call checkdomain properly.
We modified the line to become:
". $WLI_HOME/bin/checkdomain" # the '.' was missing

Does anyone else have any experiences with this that would help us all?
Pete

Rajesh Mirchandani

Oct 25, 2001, 2:29:09 PM10/25/01
Pete,

Please post this to the weblogic.integration.interest and weblogic.integration.developer newsgroups?

Pete Edwards wrote:

--
Developer Relations Engineer
BEA Support