Can't Start Portal After Install

Steve Anderson

Feb 13, 2002, 11:25:53 PM2/13/02
From: Steve Anderson <steve_a...@ctx.com>
Newsgroups: weblogic.support.install
Subject: Can't Start Portal After Install
Date: 13 Feb 2002 20:25:53 -0800

After downloading and installing the of evaluation Portal 4.0 SP1, I get the following message upon startup when I enter the system password that I entered during installation:

Starting WebLogic Server ....
The WebLogic Server did not start up properly.
Exception raised:
java.lang.IllegalAccessError: try to access method weblogic/management/internal/
Helper.preloadMBeanInfos()V from class weblogic/management/Admin
at weblogic.management.Admin.initialize(Admin.java:210)
at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initialize(T3Srvr.java:362)
at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.run(T3Srvr.java:202)
at weblogic.Server.main(Server.java:35)
Reason: Fatal initialization exception

I even tried "weblogic" for the system password and I get the same message.

What password should I use to start the server?

Bowrat

Mar 13, 2002, 12:28:44 PM3/13/02
Below listed are the common errors you run into during installation
process:

- You need to have the correct version numbers of both the weblogic
server and the portal server. For instance the portal server 4.0 (eval
copy) will only run on WebLogic 6.1 SP1. So check the edocs for
supported platforms

- Make sure you have the installed the full version of the weblogic
server (including examples)

- Finally, you need to run the UpdateLicense.cmd file to update the
license.bea under ur Bea Root

Give it a shot after u have checked all of the above three - goodluck
!!

- Bowrat
www.Bowstreet.com

Scott B

Mar 21, 2002, 2:13:16 PM3/21/02

I've followed the directions and am experiencing the exact same problem. Brand
new installation of Weblogic server 6.1 SP2 with examples. That install is working.
Then added Portal 4.0 SP1, updated the license file and I have the same issue
with the Illegal access exception resulting in the "Fatal initialization exception"....
Hmm!

David Bandiera

Mar 29, 2002, 12:20:07 PM3/29/02
Hello,

I'm experiencing the same troubles.

On a Windows 2000 Server SP2 :
- I installed WebLogic Server 6.1 SP2 with the examples
- I installed WebLogic Portal 4.0 SP1 (giving the same password as during the WL Server installation)
- I installed EBCC 4.0 SP1
- I installed WebLogic jDriver for MS SQL Server (I created the CLASSPATH environment variable, as stated in the documentation)
- I updated the license with UpdateLicense.cmd

Now I can:
- run the default WL server, both from the menu and as a service
- enter the WL server console (on port 7001)
- run the EBCC

But when I try to start the WL Portal, I get an IllegalAccessError (with the same password I gave during installation and I use to enter the server console).

So I decided to re-install the WL Portal, but when I tried first to uninstall it, I got this error: "Can't launch executable. Could not find a suitable Java Virtual Machine on your system."

Any idea ?

Darius

May 12, 2002, 8:23:25 PM5/12/02
See BEA WebLogic Portal Release Notes chapter WLP Patch and WLS SP Versions. It has information on how to solve this issue. (deleting a jar file and making a few changes to config files)