SocketException and very bizarre symptoms

Peter Degen-Portnoy

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
Hi all,

Thanks for your time.

We have the following setup.

Internet At Large (aka IAL) ---> SonicWall SOHO ---> Apache 1.3.12
(RedHat Linux 7.0), aka WebServer
---> WebLogic 5.1, SP5 (NT Server 4.0, SP4) aka AppServer

We have a beta site up and have been reving the files on the AppServer
with much success. Since we have all be developing on our individual
machines, we haven't separated the static content from the dynamic and
Apache is currently acting as simple pass through. We are using the
mod_wl_ssl.so Apache to WebLogic Bridge.

The browser is limited to IE5.

Our most recent update had yielded some strange behaviors. The strange
behavior is not in the areas that were updated, but I won't rule out a
potential connection.

Here is our process:

When we bring up the AppServer, we start Oracle 8i, then we start WL,
finally we start an RMI Server and Java process that uses JNI to connect
to a DLL. All this is done manually so that we can control sequence,
look for log messages, etc.

From the IAL, we hit our site and login. The first page after login is
supposed to have a tree-like control called the "Collection Tree".
However, when we do so, we get an HTTP 404 error and there is a
SocketException in WL:

---JSP PAGE EXCEPTION ---
java.net.SocketException: socket write error (code=10053)
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java,
Compiled Code)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkUtils.writeChunks(ChunkUtils.java,
Compiled Code)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl.flush(ServletOutputStreamImpl.java:121)

at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl.flushWithCheck(ServletOutputStreamImpl.java:354)

at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl.print(ServletOutputStreamImpl.java,
Compiled Code)
at
javax.servlet.ServletOutputStream.println(ServletOutputStream.java:286)
at
weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspWriterImpl.println(JspWriterImpl.java:201)
at
jsp_servlet._product._collectiontree._jspService(_collectiontree.java:351)

at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service(JspBase.java:27)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:124)

at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:142)

at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:760)

at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:707)

at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextManager.invokeServlet(ServletContextManager.java:251)

at
weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:369)

at
weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:269)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java,
Compiled Code)
---JSP PAGE EXCEPTION ---

Here is the bizarre symptom.

If we run IE5 on the AppServer and login from there, the CollectionTree
appears correctly and the app functions as normal. If we leave IE5
running on the AppServer, then we can get the CollectionTree from the
IAL. If we shut down IE5 on theAppServer, then we get the 404 error from
the IAL and there is another SocketException. Start IE on the
AppServer, and then we can get the CollectionTree from the IAL again. We
have also tried variations in the "running IE on the AppServer" model.
We have found that IE doesn't have to be open to the product page, it
just has to be running on the AppServer.

Any thoughts or comments at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter