WebApp, Servlet mapping, web.xml

Raji Alladi

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00

I am trying to deploy a web application on weblogic server 5.1.
At present I am using the expanded directory structure (no war
files yet).
I have a set of JSPs which are accessed through a single servlet
which manages the redirection. I have to map the servlet mapping
to achieve the equivalent of "*.bws=bservlet" in jswdk's
rules.properties file. So, as also seen in Weblogic's
documentation I did
<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>bservlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>*.bws</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>
This does NOT work!!! The "*" seems to be literally interpreted.
If I try to access the servlet as http://myhost/webappname/*.bws
it tries to access the servlet. What I am looking for to do is
http://myhost/webappname/../../.../*.bws. Thats the first problem. When it tries to access the servlet through
http://myhost/webappname/*.bws the log shows me an error of
NullPointerException.
The servlet log does not show any error.
The same application runs perfectly on jswdk and Iplanet
Enterprise 4.1. The production environment is going to be Weblogic and thats why its critical for me to get this working.
Could anyone help with suggeestions?
Thanks..

--Raji

Cameron Purdy

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
> http://myhost/webappname/../../.../*.bws
> http://myhost/webappname/*.bws

Are you literally using an asterisk in the URL?

> the log shows me an error of
> NullPointerException.

In any particular class? Is it a WebLogic class? Post the relevant portion
of the exception.

--

Cameron Purdy
cpu...@tangosol.com

"Raji Alladi" <ral...@fedexgloballogistics.com> wrote in message

Raji Alladi

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00

"Cameron Purdy" <cpu...@tangosol.com> wrote:
>> http://myhost/webappname/../../.../*.bws
>> http://myhost/webappname/*.bws
>
>Are you literally using an asterisk in the URL?
---Yes, but only to check whether the mapping works. Only with
http://myhost/webappname/*.bws, does it seem to work. Any /../..
instead of the "*" does not call the servlet. At present I am working around the problem by mapping each and every possible url
which can be used, in the web.xml file.

>> the log shows me an error of
>> NullPointerException.
>
>In any particular class? Is it a WebLogic class? Post the relevant portion of the exception.
------Its in a third party servlet called "BServlet". I put the .jar file in weblogic.class.path and this exception does not come anymore but I still have the mapping problem. I don't know why this is working! Here is the actual exception -
Mon Oct 02 14:33:03 EDT 2000:<I> <ServletContext-dellAustin> bservlet: init
Mon Oct 02 14:33:03 EDT 2000:<E> <ServletContext-dellAustin> Servlet failed with Exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.vitria.bservlet.BServlet.init(BServlet.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.createServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:390)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.createInstances(ServletStubImpl.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.prepareServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:338)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.getServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:164)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:99)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:742)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:686)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextManager.invokeServlet(ServletContextManager.java:247)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:361)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:261)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java, Compiled Code)

Mon Oct 02 14:33:13 EDT 2000:<E> <ServletContext-dellAustin> Servlet failed with Exception
weblogic.utils.AssertionError: ***** ASSERTION FAILED *****[ getServlet() returned null!! ]
at weblogic.utils.Debug.assert(Debug.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:104)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:742)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:686)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextManager.invokeServlet(ServletContextManager.java:247)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:361)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:261)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java, Compiled Code)
When I try without the webApp but directly with everything in the weblogic.properties, the mapping works (no error logs about the mapping) but the servlet is not even loaded. Here is the exception for that -
Tue Oct 03 18:11:42 EDT 2000:<E> <ServletContext-General> Error loading servlet: bservlet
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: bservlet
at weblogic.boot.ServerClassLoader.findLocalClass(ServerClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.boot.ServerClassLoader.loadClass(ServerClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.utils.classloaders.GenericClassLoader.parentLoadClass(GenericClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.utils.classloaders.GenericClassLoader.reallyLoadClass(GenericClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.utils.classloaders.GenericClassLoader.loadClass(GenericClassLoader.java:172)
at weblogic.utils.classloaders.GenericClassLoader.loadClass(GenericClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.prepareServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:291)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.getServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:164)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:99)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:742)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:686)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextManager.invokeServlet(ServletContextManager.java:247)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:361)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:261)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java, Compiled Code)

Tue Oct 03 18:11:42 EDT 2000:<E> <ServletContext-General> Servlet failed with Exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet class: bservlet could not be loaded - the requested class wasn't found in the classpath
C:\weblogic\myserver\servletclasses;C:\Vitria\bw30.jar;C:\Vitria\dell;C:\Vitria;C:\weblogic\myserver\jsp
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.prepareServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:299)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.getServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:164)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:99)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:742)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:686)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextManager.invokeServlet(ServletContextManager.java:247)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:361)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute(MuxableSocketHTTP.java:261)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java, Compiled Code)

Thank you very much for your attention to the problem. Hope to hear again from you.
--Raji

Cameron Purdy

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Raji,

FWIW - I used extension to servlet mapping extensively in WL and never had a
problem.