Spurious IOExceptions dumped to stdout/stderr

Donnie Hale

Jan 8, 2002, 4:29:12 PM1/8/02

Folks,

I'm seeing a number of the following exceptions dumped to stdout/stderr:

====================================
<Jan 8, 2002 3:17:05 PM EST> <Error> <HTTP> <[WebAppServletContext(1948653247,omweb,/omweb)]
Servlet failed
with IOException
java.io.IOException: There is no process to read data written to a pipe.
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java(Compiled
Code))
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkUtils.writeChunkTransfer(ChunkUtils.java(Compiled
Code))
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.flush(ChunkOutput.java(Compiled
Code))
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.flush(ChunkOutput.java(Compiled
Code))
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.print(ChunkOutput.java(Compiled
Code))
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.print(ChunkOutput.java(Compiled
Code))
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutputWrapper.print(ChunkOutputWrapper.java(Compiled
Code))
at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspWriterImpl.print(JspWriterImpl.java(Compiled
Code))
at jsp_servlet.__omError._jspService(__omError.java:87)
at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service(JspBase.java:27)
====================================

I'm guessing that these are mostly due to the user closing his browser and/or
going to another site before the response is done being written. If there's another
explanation, especially if it's indicative of a real problem, I'd appreciate being
enlightened.

If my guess is right, does anyone know a way to prevent these non-exceptional
exceptions from being dumped?

Thanks,

Donnie

Michael Reiche

Jan 8, 2002, 6:23:48 PM1/8/02
You might want to figure out why the users are not waiting for the page to
load. Is it really slow?

Mike

"Donnie Hale" <dh...@longaberger.com> wrote in message

Jason Collins

Jan 8, 2002, 6:29:10 PM1/8/02
Even outside of page speed, these can happen a lot. Imagine that a user
mis-clicks a link and immediately clicks Stop or Back. The request has been
sent, but the browser has closed the connection. It is quite common.

"Michael Reiche" <miker...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Michael Reiche

Jan 8, 2002, 7:12:57 PM1/8/02
Then you might want to figure out why the users click the wrong links. You
can catch them if you want.

I've also seen these from a monitoring process that requests a URL, then
immediately disconnects.

Mike

"Jason Collins" <jcol...@point2.com> wrote in message

Jason Collins

Jan 9, 2002, 11:43:26 AM1/9/02

The exceptions in this message I could catch, but if you refer to my top
level post in this newsgroup subject "RuntimeExceptions masking IOException
in sp11", you'll see that for us, user's disconnecting cause a
RuntimeException (message "IOException") - so I can't really catch those.
This has only started happening in sp11 (WL 5.1).

Ideas?