Illegal target or branch

1 view

José Compadre Junior

Mar 9, 2001, 2:26:18 PM3/9/01
The beutiful error message below appears when the servlet is about to run. I
have found some information about it in the java.sun page but it only tells
that this happens when you have a big nested while loop into the servlet
service method. It seems that java 1.2 is responsible for this bug, it get
confused when trying to compile this servlet. Another interesting thing is
that if I remove some lines anywhere in the source it compiles and runs
correctly. But I cannot do this, so I moved this lines to a method in a
class and I invoke them into the servlet, and the method returns me a big
string buffer with the HTML source to be flushed by the servlet (It means
that you get messed when you have to maintain the HTML souce). If anyone
could suggest me other solution than this one I've found I would be
thankful. PS. don't tell me to change the jdk1.2 to 1.3, It would take a lot
of time and money for the project I'm working with.

Fri Mar 09 14:56:21 GMT-03:00 2001:<E> <ServletContext-General> Servlet
failed with Exception
java.lang.VerifyError: (class: servlets/jsp/_auction/_editbid, method:
_jspService signature:
(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRespo
nse;)V) Illegal target of jump or branch
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Compiled Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.createServlet(Compiled
Code)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.createInstances(Compiled Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.prepareServlet(Compiled
Code)
at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspStub.prepareServlet(Compiled Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.getServlet(Compiled
Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(Compiled
Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(Compiled
Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.RequestDispatcherImpl.forward(Compiled
Code)
at weblogic.servlet.jsp.PageContextImpl.forward(Compiled Code)
at servlets.jsp._auction._editbid_process._jspService(Compiled Code)
at com.promon.bidare.PageCommon.service(Compiled Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(Compiled
Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(Compiled
Code)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(Compiled Code)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(Compiled Code)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextManager.invokeServlet(Compiled Code)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet(Compiled Code)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute(Compiled Code)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(Compiled Code)

Fri Mar 09 14:56:21 GMT-03:00 2001:<I> <ServletContext-General>
servletimages: init

José Compadre Junior
Developer
jose.c...@promon.com.br
jju...@webra.com.br

Mike Reiche

Mar 9, 2001, 2:48:15 PM3/9/01

This is not a bug, it is part of the Java specification. Changing
versions of Java will not help.

The only solution is to make the method shorter.

Mike