java.io.IOException: Not enough space when running external command

Peter Vennel

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Hi All,

I am trying to call gzip utility from my servlet.

The code line is as below :

Runtime runtime = Runtime.getRuntime();
Process process = runtime.exec("gzip -f -9 " +fileName);

I got the following error :

java.io.IOException: Not enough space

I even tried to use the actual path of gzip in the code :

Runtime runtime = Runtime.getRuntime();
Process process = runtime.exec("/usr/bin/gzip -f -9 "
+fileName);

But still I got the same error.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing out.....

Thanks.

Peter Vennel

Peter Vennel

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
This is the exception I got at the server side. Does anyone know what this
mean ....

java.io.IOException: Not enough space
at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Compiled Code)
at JSOliDocument.service(Compiled Code)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(Compiled Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(Compiled
Code)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invokeServlet(Compiled
Code)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet(Compiled Code)
at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute(Compiled Code)
at weblogic.t3.srvr.ExecuteThread.run(Compiled Code)

Peter Vennel <Peter....@wcom.com> wrote in message

Joseph Weinstein

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
to Peter Vennel
Hi Pete,
It seems to me that your JVM is just running out of space. The JVM has default
limits on the amount of memory (java or native) that it will take from the OS,
and you're hitting one of those limits. How are you starting the WebLogic
server? If it's by the startWebLogic script, or other such, try adding, or altering
the arguments to the invocation of java, to allow more memory.

Joe Weinstein at BEA, the home of Weblogic

Peter Vennel wrote:

--

PS: Folks: BEA WebLogic is in S.F., and now has some entry-level positions for
people who want to work with Java and E-Commerce infrastructure products. Send

Jim Clark

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
We just ran into this problem yesterday. For us, it seemed to be a disk
space problem. If you run "df -k" you'll see how full your file systems
are. We cleared out some of the /var/log (capacity was 80%) files reducing
capacity to 50% and the problem went away, for now.

--
Jim Clark
Idea Integration

"Joseph Weinstein" <j...@weblogic.com> wrote in message