Changing the weblogic domain name

Randy Secrist

Mar 29, 2004, 5:27:38 PM3/29/04

Well - i'm putting out the general call for help - since I am stuck...

I have changed my domain name in the config.xml, and now get the below exception
on startup. What are the basic steps I would need run through to fix this?

java.lang.SecurityException: Authentication for user system denied
at weblogic.security.service.SecurityServiceManager.doBootAuthorization(SecurityServiceManager.java:1028)
at weblogic.security.service.SecurityServiceManager.initialize(SecurityServiceManager.java:1166)
at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initialize1(T3Srvr.java:697)
at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initialize(T3Srvr.java:589)
at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.run(T3Srvr.java:277)
at weblogic.Server.main(Server.java:32)

Deyan D. Bektchiev

Mar 29, 2004, 8:14:00 PM3/29/04
From BEA support I got the following procedure for copying a domain
directory (should also work for renaming but you should delete the
excess file from your directory after renaming):
The most straightforward thing for you to do is this:

- create a new directory to represent your new domain
- copy three files from your old domain into your new one -- config.xml,
SerializedSystemIni.dat, and DefaultAuthenticatorInit.ldift
- Open DefaultAuthenticatorInit.ldift
- Find this section:

dn: uid=system,ou=people,ou=@realm@, dc=@domain@
objectclass: inetOrgPerson
objectclass: organizationalPerson
objectclass: person
objectclass: top
cn: system
sn: system
userpassword: {ssha}b+6FUGQicaojtGiZ+l5fdY6zxz5B10Vx
uid: system
objectclass: wlsUser
wlsMemberOf: cn=Administrators,ou=groups,ou=@realm@,dc=@domain@

Two changes are required here.

1) Change the uid value to be the user you want to boot the system. This
change needs to be in a few places actually. The sample I pasted above
has the user "system" to be the boot user. If you would like something
else you will have to change all instances of 'system' to show a
different user ID.
2) change the value for "userpassword" to anything you like -- in
cleartext. This will be the password for the boot user. Example:

userpassword: myBootPassword

So if you wanted a boot user of "Dejan" and a password of
"myBootPassword" the section would look like this:

dn: uid=Dejan,ou=people,ou=@realm@, dc=@domain@
objectclass: inetOrgPerson
objectclass: organizationalPerson
objectclass: person
objectclass: top
cn: Dejan
sn: Dejan
userpassword: myBootPassword
uid: Dejan
objectclass: wlsUser
wlsMemberOf: cn=Administrators,ou=groups,ou=@realm@,dc=@domain@

- save this file
- set your environment for WLS development (most people use
/WL_HOME/server/bin/setWLSEnv cmd or sh script)
-open config.xml and change all instances of the old domain name (say,
mydomain) to the name of your new domain (say, newdomain)

-At this point the only three files in this directory should be
SerializedSystemIni.dat, config.xml, and the .ldift file. There should
be no subdirectories or hidden files. Please double check to make sure
this is the case.

- In your new domain directory type:

java weblogic.Server

- You'll be prompted for a username/password. If you were working with
the above example, you'd type "Deejajn" and "myBootPassword"
This will boot your new domain with your old domain's configuration,
since you're using your old config.xml

All of these steps are necessary because of the encrypted passwords in
config.xml -- we're ensuring that you're using your old domain's salt
file (SerializedSystemIni) against passwords in config.xml

HTH,
Dejan

Randy Secrist

Mar 30, 2004, 1:50:09 AM3/30/04

Thanks friend, you are a life saver. When I get in to work tomorrow, I will give
it a shot. Until then, I'm reading edocs.... :)

Randy